Waning Gibbous

Acorns – What to Do??

Clearly, there is no shortage of acorns this fall. If you have followed the comments under my acorn blog, this is a near record season for acorns. But, what do you do with all of them? As reported by a few people, there are barrels full. Do you put them in a compost pile or out with the trash? Some people say they use them to feed the deer should the winter be rough on the herd. Here is one thought:

“We have an outdoor fire place and I throw all the acorns on the floor of the fireplace, under the grate.  They hold the heat, glowing for a long time after the fire is out.  I throw the ashes on the lawn, which the grass seems to enjoy.   Some say the acid in acorns is bad for lawns, but that doesn’t appear to be the case with acorns that have been turned into ash.”

I know that ashes from the fireplace are good for the lawns in the spring. Acorns have some acid, but if it is mixed in with other ashes, it is probably the ultimate way to discard them. I have a metal barrel where I discard ashes. I remove any chunks but keep the ashes for my lawn.

What do you do with acorns?? If we could turn them into energy, good bye oil companies!

1 John { 03.05.11 at 2:31 pm }

Burning acorns would contribute to air pollution. I know where I live, in the south, that the soil has excessive amounts of phosphorus, so ashes only increase the phosphorus levels even more.

I know deer, pigs, squirrels, and several other animals eat acorns. If you know of a wild area where you can scatter them, some animals would be happy. I think I’ll take some out to our farm in April and scatter them out in the forest and see if anything eats them.

2 Ginny { 11.17.10 at 7:24 pm }

I have never SEEN so many acorns in my life. I life in Sebastian, Florida (east coast south of Cocoa). There were 100s falling long before Halloween. I swept my driveway for treat or treaters and the next day it looked like I hadn’t done anything. I believe 1000s have fallen to day. I don’t have grass on my lawn anymore. I have acorns.

3 Frutero { 11.13.10 at 7:00 pm }

The acorns of white oak are often palatable without leaching, and can be used like any other nuts. Red oak types are full of tannins, and though Native Americans had methods for leaching them before turning them into food, I recommend doing further research before trying it. I have also heard of red-oak acorns being used for tanning because of their tannin and oil content, but again, I’m not knowledgeable about the method. The ashes of any non-pitchy wood are alkaline, and will sweeten soil; they are also used to produce natural potash lye for soap-making, and are good to make fruit trees bear (in the gulf South, ash your trees on New Year’s Day; further north, around Valentine’s Day). Pigs have traditionally been fattened on them. The one about them radiating heat from under the grate or firedogs is new to me; thanx, I’ll try it!

4 lynnbalderas { 11.13.10 at 11:35 am }

I usually get some acorns from live oak trees in south texas and plant them.Hopefully they grow.

5 romanian { 11.13.10 at 9:50 am }

A lot of acorns mean a cold winter always right?
God bless

6 Rob { 11.12.10 at 5:33 pm }

Yes you can turn them into energy! I use biomass to feed into a gasifier and that gas powers a ICE generator for electricity . Also you could turn those acorns into biochar to enrich and lock some carbon into your soil if you are concerned about climate change. Yes we absolutely could say goodbye to the oil companies if we wanted to!