Waning Gibbous

March Flower Lore

March Flower Lore

Flowers, perhaps more than any other part of the natural world, are fascinating because of the many layers of meaning people have shrouded them in throughout history.

There is a whole sub-category of etiquette surrounding which flowers are appropriate to give at what times, and to whom. The unending rules surrounding something so simple as a flower can be dizzying.

Another aspect of flower lore concerns the designated flowers for each month of the year. The official flower for March is the daffodil and it’s smaller European-native sibling, the jonquil.

Daffodils feature a bell-shaped center surrounded by six large petals. Native to the Mediterranean region, as well as parts of Asia, daffodils are among the earliest flowers to bloom each year, and often seen as harbingers of spring.

Daffodils take their name from the Greek word asphodel, meaning “kings spear.” This is somewhat confused by the fact that there is already a genus of plants that goes by the name asphodel. Jonquils, on the other hand, borrow their name from the Latin word for rush, a type of grass. Both plants are species of narcissus, named for the unfortunate youth of Greek legend who drowned while admiring his own reflection.

Because they are one of the first flowers to return at the start of spring, daffodils are said to represent rebirth and new beginnings. Other popular meanings include faithfulness and honesty, because they never fail to return, year after year, even after the harshest of winters.

Tradionally, herbalists used daffodils as a cleansing agent, to remove impurities from the body. They can be used to induce vomiting, as well as to clean wounds, soothe burns, and ease joint or muscle pain. Modern medicine has also found the plant useful. Galantamine, a drug used to combat Alzheimer’s disease, is produced by daffodils.

1 Eve { 03.14.12 at 4:01 pm }

Kim, Thanks I am hopeing to get started cleaning the yd tomorrow. Spring has sprung,LOL

2 Jaime McLeod { 03.14.12 at 9:26 am }

joesee, Where is the cruise? We only cover the U.S. and Canada.

3 joesee { 03.13.12 at 7:11 pm }

Hey I’m going on a cruise on the week of the 25 to the 30th what will the weather be like on the 25th or 24th

4 Kim { 03.13.12 at 8:31 am }

Eve, You can clean off your metal arch. In our midwest region, the morning glory grows as an annual and will come back from the seeds that fell to the ground in the fall. It will bloom on the new growth.

5 Eve { 03.12.12 at 6:27 pm }

I do mean plants.

6 Eve { 03.12.12 at 5:00 pm }

I to love the Daffodils. But have a question about Morning Glories. I had some come up last yr across my metal arch. Now I need to know if I should cut down the old vines or leave them for this yrs pants?

7 Brenda { 03.12.12 at 2:13 pm }

One of my favorite flowers! I love the pretty yellow bulbs on them.. I have daffodils getting ready to bloom right now in my front yard. My yard knows its spring now. Beautiful March weather! Can’t wait for my tulips and marigoles to come back. Wont be long!