Waning Crescent

Trick or Treat?

Trick or Treat?

While some people are sad to say goodbye to summer, I’m excited that tomorrow is the beginning of one of my favorite months. In Maine we see peak foliage in mid-October, the skies are bluer, and all month long I prepare for Halloween. As a young child, I planned for Halloween night for weeks in advance, plotting out the best neighborhoods and most generous adults in an attempt to always outdo the previous year’s haul.

Now that I’m an adult, I enjoy being on the other side of the candy sack. For the last 16 years, I have been handing out only king sized candy bars. If you come to my house, you get the best!

As Farmers’ Almanac editor, I do many TV and radio interviews. On October 31st, I start the day with Jon James on Moose Radio in Augusta, Maine from 6:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. I mention a “secret password” to the Geiger house for that evening. Trick or treaters who know the password get to select three king sized bars from 18 varieties. The top brands for the last few years have been Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, Kit Kat, and Skittles, so those are a given. But, I still have to get another 15 candy types. This is where you can help. If you or your children were knocking on my door, what kind of candy would you want to get?

If you subscribe to Food Network Magazine, the October issue features a piece on Halloween at my house (page 175). And, on Halloween, they will carry the secret password for that night. Check it out.

What candy brands should I stock… I need 3,000 of them.

1 Ngrid2 { 10.17.13 at 12:44 am }

anything chocolate!!!! you sound like you are really enjoying Halloween, never forget about the kid in you. Luv it Thanks,
Evelyn

2 Andrew Puntney { 09.30.13 at 10:55 pm }

Mary Janes! The quintessential Halloween Treat. :-)

3 Beth Chalmers { 09.30.13 at 10:37 pm }

Twix, Snickers, Bubble gum

4 Belinda Damron { 09.30.13 at 9:48 pm }

mallow cups

5 Darlene Krystal { 09.30.13 at 9:44 pm }

Farmers market would be cool with a crafting page….knitting and quilting for winter… or seasonal….like christmas and halloween….Coffin crisp is a cool choclate for halloween giving…made by Cadbury with a halloween name just for this time of year….have a great day.

6 Michele Soldano { 09.30.13 at 4:53 pm }

Nutragious

7 Michele Soldano { 09.30.13 at 4:52 pm }

I can’t see why this is not more popular. it’s chocolate, peanuts,caramel, Reese peanut butter…it’s delicious!!!