Waning Gibbous

What the Heck are Chia Seeds?

What the Heck are Chia Seeds?

Chia Gel
Ingredients:
1/3 cup chia seeds
2 cups water

Directions:
Grind chia seeds into flour in a food processor or coffee grinder. Pour chia flour into the bottom of a large glass jar. Add water. Screw on the cap of the jar and shake for 20 seconds. Refrigerate for 15 minutes before using.

Pages: 1 2 3 4

1 todd { 03.25.13 at 7:18 pm }

there is lots of media coverage these days due to the fact that chia seeds are amazingly healthy for you! The Aztec Diet is a new book out by Dr. Bob Arnot that sings chia praise-seeds that are blended and sliced open (not ground or milled) are the best for you.

2 Chia Seed Lovers { 03.20.13 at 7:48 am }

I love the title of this blog ;) By the way thanks for the information and for the recipes. I really love Chia seeds and one of my favorite simple recipe is to add them to my favorite omelet.

3 Zen { 03.10.13 at 6:30 am }

Love them in taco salad and in scrambled eggs. Also on cold salads! Their taste is similar to roasted sunflower seeds to me.

4 Ileana { 03.07.13 at 10:40 pm }

Here’s an awesome recipe: 1/3 cup chia seeds, 2 cups almond or soy milk, 2 tablespoons raw honey. Mix and sit for 5 minutes. Stir again and then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Put in fridge for several hours. Each for breakfast with bananas or alone. Its a great breakfast, snack or dessert. Yum!

5 Jaime McLeod { 03.07.13 at 9:18 am }

No, Organic fan, you can enjoy them whole.

6 Holly Martino { 03.06.13 at 6:04 pm }

I buy my chia seeds from Vitacost on the Web. They come in a 1 lb. bag, and they taste great, as well as adding a slightly crunchy texture to smoothies, or whatever you choose to use them on or in. I prefer Navitas Naturals Organic Raw Chia Seeds, and they get a 4.9 out of 5 star rating from consumers. I am not a healthnut, and I usually don’t comment on health foods, but this one is well worth it both healthwise and tastewise.

7 Organic fan { 03.06.13 at 3:45 pm }

Do chia seeds need to be ground to reap the nutritional benefits (similar to flax seeds)?

8 Thom Foote { 03.06.13 at 12:13 pm }

I appreciate the info and recipes in the article but wish it had more. What do they taste like? Can they be used as a small scale ground cover? Can they be mixed with other chicken feed or are they too expensive? Can they be sprouted?

9 PattyPooh3 { 03.06.13 at 10:39 am }

I buy my Chia seeds off the Internet from http://www.getchia.com. This is a family owned company and they have great prices and free postage. I LOVE these little seeds and sprinkle them on almost everything I eat. They will disappear from view after being added to spagetti sauce, soup, salad dressing or bakery goods so you can get added nutrition into picky eaters!

10 Leanne { 03.06.13 at 10:01 am }

I get my Chia seeds from the health food co-op that we’re a part of. Personally, I prefer the black seeds. The white had a little bit of an aftertaste to me.

11 thegirlwithguitars { 03.06.13 at 9:17 am }

I bought my Chia seeds at my local supermarket in the organic foods baking section. They came in a 1 lb. bag. They really have no taste in my opinion but if you have them in your mouth long enough while you are chewing, they do turn to a gelatinous little blob. I add them to smoothies, my morning yogurt (1 tsp. just stirred in), etc. I will definitely be adding them to my muffin mix next time I make them.

12 Par Loomis { 03.06.13 at 9:08 am }

Where do you buy chia seeds? What do they taste like? Very timely story as they are in the news everyday. Thanks