Where will the 20″ inches?

Posted By: Flake Fan  Posted On: Mar 18th, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

The latest NAM went ballistic for snowfall, showing 1-2 feet between OKC and KC…while that may not be quite reality, a proffesional met. just said they expected 20″ to fall anywhere to fall between KC and OKC still, this reminded me of Okie's posted of the crippling snowstorm with snow piles until April, and so forth…it is supported by the models believe it or not!

1. TheMaineMan says:

That's incredible… even if you only end up with 6 inches that's pretty decent…

Not sure if you're rooting for or against big snow at this point of the year… but I hope that you take some good pictures if you get a lot of snow. Smile

2. Flake Fan says:

TheMaineMan said:

That's incredible… even if you only end up with 6 inches that's pretty decent…

Not sure if you're rooting for or against big snow at this point of the year… but I hope that you take some good pictures if you get a lot of snow. Smile

I may get a new camera today, but right now a camera I am without. Anywhere that cam get in the snow and stay in it until the storm pulls out will end up with a tremendous amount, and yesterday the 12z NAM put 33″ of snow a few miles east of me…18 of which fell between 7am and noon. That is f***** heavy snow! Sealed I hope the models can show that again, now they are back down to a resonable 6-10″ for me. Even so, a few miles north and it could be another record breaking snowstorm, certainly for Oklahoma t least whom mentioned issuing blizzard warnings for this storm. A bit premature to say the least!

3. TheMaineMan says:

So are you rooting for snow or not at this point?

I can't believe that Dallas might actually see snow again… this really is a backwards winter.

I think Kansas is going to warm up again next week, no?

4. okie333 says:

Flake Fan said:The latest NAM went ballistic for snowfall, showing 1-2 feet between OKC and KC…while that may not be quite reality, a proffesional met. just said they expected 20″ to fall anywhere to fall between KC and OKC still, this reminded me of Okie's posted of the crippling snowstorm with snow piles until April, and so forth…it is supported by the models believe it or not!

LOL… Any chance a good admin could pull up that post and PM it to me? ;)

Anyway, I doubt it will be quite as powerful as in the wishcast I posted on the old forums. I wouldn't dare doubt that totals of 1' or more could be possible, though. This link shows Tulsa as the city with the most 60-hr QPF in the nation as per the 18Z NAM, with 4.22″ liquid equivalent in this form: 0.649″ rain, 0.270″ equiv. sleet, 3.299″ equiv. snow. As per the 18Z NAM, there is 0.3-0.4″ liquid equivalent of snow per hour for several hours (2-4″ snow per hour, depending on ratio). If this solution verifies, then 20+” of snow would not be out of the question for Tulsa, especially since heavy precip and strong winds could cause sufficient evaporative cooling to increase ratios.

5. Flake Fan says:

I am rooting for snow…however the totals are still under question. We got 3-4″ last night and the main band is moving in right now, they are saying 3-6″ for me however the ULL is about 100 miles north of originally thought and the heaviest bands are forming along and north of me, when they predicted they would stay to the south. The south part is getting brief, but at least heavier snow showers. It all depends on where the main band sits! If I get it, which at this point I am under it and any pivoting would only burry me deeper in it would produce 8″ or more. If the snow showers form into the main band I am out of luck, but otherwise I could get quite a bit! :) The models have done much better with this. I remember looking at a GFS and the current radar really fits. Last night the GFS put me in about 1-1.25″ of precipitation, so even with 3-4″ on the ground I may still get some. Sorry, just so excited! :D

Here are some pictures I've taken today:

http://tinypic.com/r/2hfox8y/5

http://tinypic.com/r/9fw93r/5

They aren't my best picturs ever, but they'll do. The snow is coming down again, the flakes are still not that big but occaisonally there will be quite a bit of them!

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป