Possible arctic blast in NNE next weekend

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Mar 22nd, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

A brief yet significant arctic blast could arrive in this neck of the woods Friday and Saturday, actually bringing temperatures well below average for a change, at least briefly.

Seasonable to slightly-above-average temperatures to start the week (especially with the night temperatures), but the rain exits and brings in a seasonable day on Thursday, followed by a cold night as the blast comes. Friday might  not crack the freezing mark, with night temps plunging into the lower 10s. Saturday would be warmer in the 30s, with another night around the upper 10s, before the seasonable to slightly-above-average temps return.

(Average temps for next weekend historically: 43/22)

If this verifies, that could slow spring down a good deal. Some waters could possibly freeze over again lightly, along with the ground and the plants that are already growing. Snow seems unlikely as no storms are scheduled to come through (if they did, the cold blast probably wouldn't arrive, according to one local met).

FatherFrost, wjp, okie, or anyone else have any thoughts?

1. PlowmanOhio81 says:

I noticed on the 12z GFS for 162-192 it's showing a dramatic cooldown and heavy precip for the Ohio area (6″-8″ snow?). I'm not holding my breath though b/c typically it changes a dozen times between now and then. :-/

2. TheMaineMan says:

After a month of late-April / early-May like weather, here is some true March volatility:

Today: High 50, sunny

Tonight: 26, rain changing to snow, 1-2 inches accumulation possible by morning

Tomorrow: Arctic front, high low 30s

Tomorrow night: Clear, cold, around 10

Saturday: Mid to upper 30s

Saturday night: Low 24

Sunday: High near 50

Since early January, I've had a total of 3 inches of snow. A trace of that came in March. wjp's forecast for me looks like another huge bust. Yell

3. TheMaineMan says:

Mother nature really does not like me lately. Foot in mouth 25 degrees last night, with heavy snow passing off the coast of Maine. Nothing at all here.

Monday/Tuesday is probably my last chance for accumulating snow. And right now, it doesn't even look good, mostly a rain storm with a few snowflakes at the very end.

The arctic blast does seem to have arrived though. Temperatures aren't budging even as the sun gets higher… still 25.  Forecast high of 33, and a forecast low of 8. I'll reset my thermometer and see how cold it actually gets tonight. Will likely be the last time I see single digits until December, maybe November if we get our first “cold November” in 8 years.

Wednesday onwards looks like a blowtorch yet again. Temperatures at least 10 degrees above normal, often 15.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป