Healing a broken bone.

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Apr 13th, 2010  Filed Under: Health & Natural Cures

Hello all,

I recently broke my collarbone…giving me more time to come and post on these forums, heh. It's not a terribly bad break (alignment is pretty good) but I'm wondering if anyone knows any good ways of speeding the healing process besides rest, healthful diet, listen to doctor, and dont do too much too soon. My doctor convinced me to not have surgery and take the natural healing route.

I'm a very active person, and sitting around all day is driving me absolutely nuts! It's been about a week and a half, and my doctor estimated it would be 4 weeks (so 2.5 more) before I can do most basic activities and about 6 weeks before I can lift heavy things/throw/etc. Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

1. Grandin says:

TheMaineMan said:

Hello all,

I recently broke my collarbone…giving me more time to come and post on these forums, heh. It's not a terribly bad break (alignment is pretty good) but I'm wondering if anyone knows any good ways of speeding the healing process besides rest, healthful diet, listen to doctor, and dont do too much too soon. My doctor convinced me to not have surgery and take the natural healing route.

I'm a very active person, and sitting around all day is driving me absolutely nuts! It's been about a week and a half, and my doctor estimated it would be 4 weeks (so 2.5 more) before I can do most basic activities and about 6 weeks before I can lift heavy things/throw/etc. Thanks for any insights anyone might have.

Hey MaineMan,

I dont no how to speed up the healing process.. But i wish u a speedy recovery. And i agree with you sitiing around allday would bug the crap outta me as well. and with a broken collar bone u will be out for about 3 months cuz my kid broke his collar bone while skateboarding and he was down for 3 months. get well soon dude!

2. TheMaineMan says:

Thanks. It took 6 months for my aunt to fully recover when she broke hers…it was a disaster. I kind of lucked out supposedly because my bone alignment stayed fairly good… the more it separates the more weeks your body needs just to move the ends of the bone near each other again… the doctor said the decent alignment should save me weeks.

I went for a long walk outside yesterday without any problems…going to keep doing that every day I can just to stay as active as possible without using my bad arm. Doctor said most of my pain was actually from torn muscles/tendons rather than the bone itself…now that the muscles have healed quite a bit, I feel a lot better. At least I'm finally off the ibuprofen…I hate taking medicine and I just recently learned that it actually slows the healing process (even if it does relieve pain and swelling) so I almost regret having taken it at all, heh. At least with the warm weather I don't have to keep putting my coat on and off. Laughing

3. Grandin says:

TheMaineMan said:

Thanks. It took 6 months for my aunt to fully recover when she broke hers…it was a disaster. I kind of lucked out supposedly because my bone alignment stayed fairly good… the more it separates the more weeks your body needs just to move the ends of the bone near each other again… the doctor said the decent alignment should save me weeks.

I went for a long walk outside yesterday without any problems…going to keep doing that every day I can just to stay as active as possible without using my bad arm. Doctor said most of my pain was actually from torn muscles/tendons rather than the bone itself…now that the muscles have healed quite a bit, I feel a lot better. At least I'm finally off the ibuprofen…I hate taking medicine and I just recently learned that it actually slows the healing process (even if it does relieve pain and swelling) so I almost regret having taken it at all, heh. At least with the warm weather I don't have to keep putting my coat on and off. Laughing

Just be careful man i dont want u hurting you self more. I'll miss ya on here u are cool. and ya coats are a pain in the butt i hate em. Il glad it's warming up around here too right now it's 75 out and feeling good!i wanted to take lunch out on the tables at my work but there being painted and ready for the company cook out in may.so im stuck inside eating and watchign the cubs game on tv till lunch is done. oh i checked into resorts an stuff for the family gig and were gonna go camping in the woods. i love the woods i use to live in the woods while in the army it will be good for johnny teach em some stuff lol the wife will stay in the camper thing though lol. But anyways i want u well soon dude..

4. TheMaineMan says:

Thank you both. I went to the doctor's today and she said that my bone is all set. Laughing The issue now is the weak muscle/tendons around the bone that have barely moved in the past month… I just need to work out the stiffness, rebuild strength, and probably not lift anything heavy for another 2 weeks.

My “natural cure” other than patience is going to be a very well-balanced diet, with extra protein and calcium/vitamin D. Think I might try and do a little fishing this weekend too, I'll just have my father help me carry the canoe, haha. They say good mood/good spirits help you heal faster, so I'm going to give that a shot.

5. Jam Jun says:

Hi.

This is the first primary rule for avoiding weak bone :1.Stop Smoking 2. Eat a Balanced Diet 3.Watch Your Calcium.

Thanks,
    Jam Jun

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »