Strawberry/Watermelon Question..

Posted By: Grandin  Posted On: Apr 17th, 2010  Filed Under: Home & Garden

Does anyone no when it would be a good time plant strawberrys/watermelons? I no grow my own fruits this year but i dont no when to do it.. I live in zip 46360.

P.S. punpkins to? i wanna grow them when do i plant them??

1. TheMaineMan says:

Hi Grandin,

Watermelons and pumpkins need to be planted after the threat of frost is gone. This differs from region to region… up here the rule of thumb is Memorial Day weekend, so I'm sure it's a bit earlier in Indiana. Look up when your average last spring frost is, and then two weeks later plant the seeds/plants.

I tried to grow watermelons in 2008 and pumpkins last year…. both were very difficult because of the cold, wet summers we had, both plants like heat. My peas and spinach did great though!

Strawberries I think can be planted earlier… we have wild strawberries all over our yard (the kind that give you the tiny berries that most people don't even bother to pick but are absolutely delicious if you take the time) and they are completely green by now… and frost season is still here for a few more weeks.

Remember that most berry plants don't give you any berries until the second year… so unless you're buying the plants themselves, don't expect any berries this year. Unless they're genetically-modified, I suppose.

2. Grandin says:

TheMaineMan said:

Hi Grandin,

Watermelons and pumpkins need to be planted after the threat of frost is gone. This differs from region to region… up here the rule of thumb is Memorial Day weekend, so I'm sure it's a bit earlier in Indiana. Look up when your average last spring frost is, and then two weeks later plant the seeds/plants.

I tried to grow watermelons in 2008 and pumpkins last year…. both were very difficult because of the cold, wet summers we had, both plants like heat. My peas and spinach did great though!

Strawberries I think can be planted earlier… we have wild strawberries all over our yard (the kind that give you the tiny berries that most people don't even bother to pick but are absolutely delicious if you take the time) and they are completely green by now… and frost season is still here for a few more weeks.

Remember that most berry plants don't give you any berries until the second year… so unless you're buying the plants themselves, don't expect any berries this year. Unless they're genetically-modified, I suppose.

Thanks for the good advice maineman ill look up my last day of frost around here.  and ya ill be plating from seed. so i wont expect no berries this year. But by october or at the first i want some good watermelon and pumpkins for sure. and if there hard to take care of ill try my best to take care of em i no i gotta dust them cuz insects will eat em or make em rot etc. thanks for the help dude. i hope yer feeling betetr too.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป