Post your nature signs for winter/Crickets… eating peppermints?!

Posted By: smackdown  Posted On: Aug 7th, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

Yes I said peppermints, still in the wrapper… Let me explain.  Was @ our local gas station and tossed out an old sonic peppermint by the ice machines outside.  I got over several mins later to see crickets all over the mint, it appeared that they were trying to eat it.  Interesting to see b/c I had no idea they had a sweet tooth.

As for crickets in general, they have been out in full force for a couple weeks now, which is earlier than usual and they are more numerous that in the past.

No Woolly Worms yet but with harvest projected in around 3-4weeks they should be showing up soon.

Have noticed a lot of deer feeding at night, I think it is due to the extremely hot temps we've been having.

Looking forward to your signs of the times.Wink

1. VolGal says:

Spiders. Everywhere.  Along with their webs.  I have also seen more crickets on my front porch than I ever have.  I really don't know what that means but I find it interesting anyway…

I have also noticed more deer activity but I am seeing it ramp up during the day as opposed to night. 

I live in East Tennessee.  Where are you at Smackdown?

2. weather411 says:

I can definetely confirm that crickets have been rather active this year. I've found plenty of them around the porch and even in my pool! I'm situated in Moore, Oklahoma.

3. winterlove says:

Idk if Cicadas dying mean anything but I've found a ton of dead ones. Plus, spiders have been bad since June as well as their webs. There's huge webs in the trees that just started forming last week.

4. smc1254 says:

I have seen a few Crickets but the spider and their webs are a daily thing. I don't think I have seen this many ever.

I am in Texas.

5. PlowmanOhio81 says:

Winterlove… I'm not doubting what your seeing, but are you sure those aren't the Cicada shells that they shed?? And the “webs” in the tree's, are you sure those aren't silkworm nests?? I live in North Central Ohio as well… just curious.

As well as I have noticed crickets out day/night, but like I've said in other forums… Tall weeds, some as high as 5 feet. Bee's have been pretty active as well with large hives, but I relate that to the heat. The Cicada's have been kind of heavy and extremely loud this year. Deer have been in abundance lately, but I think they're getting more active bc the nights are getting cooler. I have noticed squirrels being on the run as well, not to mention many birds have started “speaking up” lately, which is kind of unusual… especially the Cardinal's.

6. smackdown says:

I am from the Central IL area just north of I-70.  I did notice an interesting extended forcast on accuweather, predicting a big cool down about the 3rd week of this month for here… upper 70s low 80s for highs, it can change but it's something to think about.  I have seen a lot of silk worm nests and some spider webs.  Cicadas are an every year thing here so cant add anything on that.  Have had a lot of butterflies around lately, I know the monarchs gather in our trees in groups before leaving last year, so ill keep you posted.

7. winterlove says:

PlowmanOhio81 said:

Winterlove… I'm not doubting what your seeing, but are you sure those aren't the Cicada shells that they shed?? And the “webs” in the tree's, are you sure those aren't silkworm nests?? I live in North Central Ohio as well… just curious.

As well as I have noticed crickets out day/night, but like I've said in other forums… Tall weeds, some as high as 5 feet. Bee's have been pretty active as well with large hives, but I relate that to the heat. The Cicada's have been kind of heavy and extremely loud this year. Deer have been in abundance lately, but I think they're getting more active bc the nights are getting cooler. I have noticed squirrels being on the run as well, not to mention many birds have started “speaking up” lately, which is kind of unusual… especially the Cardinal's.

Well —-. You're right. I completely forgot cicada's shed. I just see a ton of dead-looking cicadas on my driveway and brush them off. I don't bother to notice, but you're probably right. As for the silkworm nests, you're right again. They're built up in the tallest branches so I can't look too closely, but they look like huuuge cobwebs, and they're everywhere.

8. Flake Fan says:

I have not seen a lot of natural signs, we only have a few spider webs, but the ones I look at for the height of the snow, I have only seen one, this morning, it was probably 20 feet in the air, but not super large. All others have been just above the ground strung between our landscaping plants. No crickets at all this year that I have seen, very odd. Maybe this will be “a most unusual winter.” Only 8 days until the almanac comes out! We'll find out soon!

9. TheMaineMan says:

I think many of these signs are the cause of an early summer that started back in May, at least up here… naturally if an animal or plant's cycle begins a month early, it stands to reason that it will end about a month early as well (monarch butterflies are a good example.)

I am seeing mixed signals. According to folklore, some point to a good winter, others to a mild winter. Maybe someone can help me interpret:

-Crickets took a long time to come out this year, but now are out (usually out in mid-July)

-Ants are meandering around, definitely not marching in straight lines

-Acorns are falling from oak trees rather early

-The leaves on fruit bushes are changing colors early (may be due to early summer, see my first paragraph)

-Blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries (all wild) had a very good year

-Monarch butterflies are out about a month early.

-Daddy longleg spiders are having a particularly good year, and coming in the house a lot

-Morning fogs are burning off very early in the day

-In spite of the blackberries' success, I have seen very few yellowjackets (usually there is a positive correlation between the two)

-Many leaves are losing their green color and turning a sickly color (probably due to heat and slight drought)

-Many plants that usually bloom in August are already on the tail-end (probably due to an early summer)

-Humid conditions this summer have not translated to good rainfall.

Maybe these “mixed signals” agree with Joe Bastardi, who predicts my region will be in a “wintry battlezone.”

10. Flake Fan says:

I'm kind of frustrated! Our seasons have been very pronounced, spring never started until April, then EVERYTHING came out at once. (Not good for people with allergies… lol!) Then after a very cool may, we have had summer-like conditions and July through now we've been under heat advisories or warnings almost every day, and its only been getting hotter. Only a week ago did the cicadas and grasshoppers come out. I've only seen a few spiderwebs that aren't always spun on the ground or just above it, and they have had no certain height. Ants are going in straight lines some days, and just meandering around others, nothing is hinting at changing yet, no fog, it has been too warm. Lost of summer blooming plants bloomed a month early…I have no idea what to think of this, other than we may very well have a yin-yenesque winter.

11. GummyWorm says:

smackdown said:

Yes I said peppermints, still in the wrapper… Let me explain.  Was @ our local gas station and tossed out an old sonic peppermint by the ice machines outside.  I got over several mins later to see crickets all over the mint, it appeared that they were trying to eat it.  Interesting to see b/c I had no idea they had a sweet tooth.

As for crickets in general, they have been out in full force for a couple weeks now, which is earlier than usual and they are more numerous that in the past.

No Woolly Worms yet but with harvest projected in around 3-4weeks they should be showing up soon.

Have noticed a lot of deer feeding at night, I think it is due to the extremely hot temps we've been having.

Looking forward to your signs of the times.Wink

Well, I don't know if crickets eating peppermints has anything to do with weather; however, my husband and I use crickets to feed our bearded dragon and they are just like cockroaches, they'll eat just about anything sweet! Speaking of that, I'm ready to just mow all the crickets in my yard down, their full adults so all they do is sing. It keeps me up at night. Come on frost!

12. FatherFrost says:

Well if Mr. Bastardi is right about this winter (WHICH HE WAS LAST YEAR BUT IS NOT EVERY WINTER) then I won't have winter.

He said that between I-40 and I-70 there would be only slightly above normal temps and NEAR NORMAL SNOWFALL. I'm in the aforementioned area yet he has me under the torch bubble.

13. The Rickster says:

Looked at an acorn produceing tree in my Uncle's yard about a week ago. Nothing to write home about. Had a thick fog this morning. Seen thee spider webs. Two of them were those one strand type deals that I hate because I dunno where the rest of it is. one stretched from the front edge of the house to the front porch, and the other from a high up power line to somewhere. I didn't see where it connected. Other web was full, complete with spider, and only a few feet off the ground. That was the first real web I have seen, aside of a funnel web spider, that was about 2-3 feet off the ground with its self positioned in a bush at a friends house. Seen ants both marching, and wondering. Crickets have been LOUD this year, and quite numerous. Its been odd this year.

14. trency911 says:

Here are some from weather caster.

http://www.stormfax.com/wxlore.htm

If ant hills are high in July,
    Winter will be snowy.

When leaves fall early,
    Fall and Winter will be mild;
    When leaves fall late,
    Winter will be severe.

15. Flake Fan says:

I'm starting to see a few crickets, but I am hearing them more than seeing them. Think of the perfect movie summer nighttime sounds of the crickets…that is what I hear every night. I am surprised we do not have more with this hot dry weather.

16. Flake Fan says:

This would help me a bunch:

If the first week in August is unusually warm,
    the coming Winter will be snowy and long.

Any others, it is too early for me to tell. But looking at the signs from the site you posted, almost every single one pointed to a severe winter. Not every weatherlore is true every time, but they aren't completely made up. I shake my heads at people who just ignore them.

17. PlowmanOhio81 says:

So does 90 degree's fall into the unusually warm catagory… ?? It is summer after all. I have seen a few ant “mounds” that are about 2' high…but I don't consider that anything. And the ants around my area have been feverishly busy in the hundreds, take that as you wish I suppose.

I think it's been a good growing year overall, in this region. The silkworm nests have nearly tripled in my area over the last week or so. They average 10'-25' off the ground… ??

I'm just hoping that it's Ohio's turn to get a good SNOWY winter. :-D

18. undercover921 says:

Definetely confirm that crickets up in North Jersey, even in the park in NYC I heard them. As for woolys none yet, and really no spider webs yet either. I think its to early for the webs, We see them in end of August or early September. Also no crazy animal activity as of yet, like squirrels looking for nuts or other critters.

19. smackdown says:

Updates:  Crickets have been numerous now are heard and not seen much.  Millers/moths/butterflies/dragonflies have been extremely thick, today I have never seen so many dragonflies all together.  Woolly Worms are coming out.  Have seen a variety of colors with White and Black being #1,2.  Also have noticed some odd color combos.  For example: Brown on the ends with black on the bottom and brown on top in the middlle, brown on the ends with a solid black strip in the middle.  These 2 particular color combos are not too common from my observations over the years. 

Theory: With all the bugs out in such great numbers I think it only confirms what has been predicted.  I think the bugs are heavily reproducing to help ensure their offspring survive a much harsher winter than we have seen in quite awhile.  Deep huh? lol

20. The Rickster says:

While I was out biking at a local park with a buddy, there were wasp nests WAYYY up high. Like..20-30 feet. Many of those web nest (Silk worms or spiders maybe?)  made in trees. Numoris spider webs as well.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป