My preliminary, general winter outlook with map

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Aug 29th, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

Light blue = colder than normal, less snowfall than normal

Dark green = slightly warmer than normal, more snowfall than normal due to cold air going over warm lakes

Light green = colder than normal, more snowfall than normal

Dark blue = much colder and snowier than normal

Purple = slightly warmer than normal, average snowfall

Orange = warmer than normal, average snowfall

Yellow = much warmer than normal, below-average snowfall

Red = a few cold shots, but other than that very warm and below average snowfall.

1. TheMaineMan says:

I'm not sure why it came out so small… it was almost full-screen when I made and saved it. I'll see if I can fix it.

2. winterlove says:

But by the looks of it you're still gunning for nina to be west based and the PNW will be the only place with below temps and above normal snowfall. If I remember correctly that's how alot of people's preliminary outlooks looked like a month or two ago, but alot of people have changed their predictions since. Is this your most recent outlook?

I hope I said that right, lol. I'm no weather guru but I've picked up on alot of your guys' lingo.

3. FatherFrost says:

I completely disagree. That is all.

4. J.C says:

I don't recent studys show that Nina will be strong i believe we will see cold and snow from Oct-march i work with a weather station and they agree with me but it is prediction were not god we wont know till we see 

5. winterlove says:

J.C said:I don't recent studys show that Nina will be strong i believe we will see cold and snow from Oct-march i work with a weather station and they agree with me but it is prediction were not god we wont know till we see 

Your problem is that you're being biased because you reside in the PNW. Yesterday you were freaking out because the FA predicts a mild winter in your area and today you're happy because MaineMan condradicts that. He's the only person I've seen who recently has forecasted a long range prediction like this. I'm going to disagree respectfully with him, but only time will tell.

6. Grandin says:

Ya the map is tiny bro but i blew up my screen 400 percent and seen it. i like how u hand drew it man shows me u care.  you did a good job maineman.

Dan

7. The Rickster says:

I hope the message the map is delivering doesn't come to pass.

8. Grandin says:

The Rickster said:I hope the message the map is delivering doesn't come to pass.

he did a good job rick on drawing it

Dan

9. Flake Fan says:

Interesting…but what does purple mean?

10. Grandin says:

Flake Fan said:Interesting…but what does purple mean?

Purple = slightly warmer than normal, average snowfall

11. TheMaineMan says:

I do believe that the Nina is becoming west-based, but I don't think the whole country will be a blowtorch either. I expect two main storm tracks: one that comes from the PNW and cuts up through the Great Lakes region, and another that comes in, heads through the south, and then cuts near the mid-Atlantic. However, I expect the first track to be the most active.

I expect a fairly strong SE ridge that settles across the middle of the country and makes a strong contrast of cold to the north and warmth to the south. Overall, I believe the western US sees a colder winter than the east.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป