New Weather Theory

Posted By: Flake Fan  Posted On: Oct 9th, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

Maybe believe me now? This was presented at the 38th confrence on Broadcast Meteorology in June.

http://ams.confex.com/ams/38Br…..169910.htm

http://ams.confex.com/ams/38Br…..i/id/15322

1. TheMaineMan says:

Which regions does he apply it to though? I think it may be true for some regions but not others. Definitely interesting.

2. Flake Fan says:

TheMaineMan said:Which regions does he apply it to though? I think it may be true for some regions but not others. Definitely interesting.

I think this concept can apply to just about anywhere in the world, in some for or another, but right now he mostly uses it for the United States.

3. NTXWeather says:

Wow!!! That would be great if they could devise a model in the next few years that uses a formula similar to this. It makes sense, though; because if we can say when the Tropics will begin to become active due to the MJO, why can't we do the same here?

4. PlowmanOhio81 says:

I read on that a couple weeks ago. Great presentation and article!!! I wanna know how to do it!!! LOL

As said… It would be an excellent tool. And it's very true and to the point I believe. A great tool that could be used to improve a lot of things that revolve around weather… especially farming and whatnot.

5. FatherFrost says:

Nice article. I believe the LRC theory has validity to it. And if I remember correctly there was something you showed us last winter that predicted the coming setup in the jet stream or something using the LRC and I recall it verifying rather nicely. :)

6. glennkoks says:

I think there is a limited amount of validity to the theory.  It does not always seem to work and I am always skeptical of theories that do not take in the vast amount of factors that come into play through an entire season.    Siberian snowfall theories and LRC may have some merit but in my opinion are very limited.

7. Flake Fan says:

glennkoks said:I think there is a limited amount of validity to the theory.  It does not always seem to work and I am always skeptical of theories that do not take in the vast amount of factors that come into play through an entire season.    Siberian snowfall theories and LRC may have some merit but in my opinion are very limited.

I'm sure to some it does sound too good to be true, you can believe what you want. However after seeing this station forecast for my view area for the past few years and always have the best forecast over any station, NOAA or national forecaster from using the LRC, I do believe that with some fine tuning it could be very useful. They don't rely solely on what happens in the fall, they include other factors that other people use for their long range forecasting.

8. glennkoks says:

I think it is something to consider and may be an aid in forecasting.  I just would not put too much faith in it as a primary indicator.

9. weather411 says:

It's interesting that you bring this up. I actually use the LRC theory to a decent extent when it comes to making long range forecasts. It's most reliable for the winter though. Nice topic.

10. The Rickster says:

Wonder how this will play out in the end.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป