A bust in my favor, first snow of the season, and a great geese/duck migration

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Nov 27th, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

Weather fortune finally turned in my favor! Thursday night the forecast was for there to be some sleet and freezing rain Friday morning, turning into rain and 40 degrees later in the day.

What actually happened was a half-inch of pure snow, followed by sleet a high of 34 degrees… no changeover to rain. In the end I had 1 inch of frozen precipitation (mix of snow and sleet) on the ground, and it easily survived into the night as temps dipped back into the mid-20s. Heavy frost last night re-inforced the frozen layer on top. I have pictures and should be posting them soon.

Last week I saw a huge flock of geese and then ducks flying south… the V of geese was enormous, no exageration at least 50 geese were in the V. I've lived in geese country my whole life, and it is the biggest flock of geese I ever saw flying in the sky in one group. It was incredible to see.

Tonight could be my first drop below 20 degrees if skies stay clear and the winds stay down. Average low is 23.

Next week another (hopefully brief) warm spell comes in… highs in the 40s and lows in the upper 30s / lower 40s which would be very warm for lows. Hopefully some of my snow/sleet will survive, it is getting a pretty decent freeze at the moment so hopefully this will help. November/December have very low sun angles, that will help. Of course if a warm rain comes on Wednesday then forget it… I'm hoping to see some more snow fall Wednesday night / Thursday if temps cool down quick enough and the storm track favors me.

Right now though, the weather is smiling upon me at last!

1. glennkoks says:

I live in South Texas and the geese are definitely late getting here.  Usually by Thanksgiving the coastal prairie is full of them and they are running late this year.  It is a different flyway than the ones you have on the east coast but ours is running behind.

2. TheMaineMan says:

Most of our geese leave around late October / early November. So they are actually a tad late this year, but making up for it!

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป