A little like the Novembers I used to remember… also: looking ahead: warm this week, cold next?

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Nov 29th, 2010  Filed Under: Weather

After the Novembers of last decade, highs near 50 and lows in the 30s with rain and little to no snow just became the norm for November. The last couple weeks have been much more seasonable for late November though, and it is nice! Got some snow on the ground that isn't really melting because it has been cold, day and night. The low has been 19 degrees for the past two nights, with highs in the 30s. The ground and most still waters are staying frozen solid day and night.

Now the rest of this week is looking mild: highs in the upper 40s and lows in the mid to upper 30s (normal for this timeframe: high 37, low 20). A storm is supposed to pass in a few days, but it looks more rainy than anything else.

But now the local mets are hinting at the coldest air of the season yet coming next week, and with a potential retrograding storm coming by. Could mean the first significant snowfall of the season (I have had two traces thus far) and maybe even the first 6+ inch storm. La Ninas tend to bring me lame Decembers, then exciting January and Februarys. March and April are swing or miss. I'm no longer sold on a warm January, that went out the window with the breaking of the expected pattern over the past few weeks.

All of the vegetation (minus coniferous trees such as firs, pines, and cedar) are completely and utterly barren. BRING ON THE SNOW!

1. RumneyNH says:

We still have snow on the ground around here but with the rain and 40+ weather for tomorrow…. o well.

We have to head to VA next Thursday for the weekend.  If we end up with a major amount of snow up here my boys will die as they are eagerly waiting to get their snowmobiles out. If it does snow I hope it doesn't hit on Thursday while we're traveling.

Dan

2. PlowmanOhio81 says:

I have wondered the same thing Maineman. I can't help but wonder if the January warth is going to be a bust… and maybe the winter will begin weak and about halfway finish out with enormous amounts?!

I just wish 2012 or 2013 would get here when we would enter the beginning of the “mini ice age” where the cold air's will be more dominant. :-D

3. TheMaineMan says:

I have my doubts as well Plowman…. many forecasters came out saying that November and December would be harsh, and January would be warm. Well, November was close to average overall (some warm spells, come cool spells… below-average snow-wise) and December is off to a very warm start, blowtorch warm. Next week they cancelled the snow storm (snow showers at best) and brought temps to near-average. But of course the weather can still change either way.

Ultimately, it is what it is. I've seen plenty of years where November and December are boring, then January really gets things going (usually La Nina / negative ENSO seasons) but it would be nice to see a LONG cold winter for a change, our ecosystem really could use it to kill off some invasive plants and bugs that never lived here before because the stretch of inconsistent winters is unprecedented in modern times. I'm not an AGW believer, but nature's cycles have just been quite unfortunate to us as of late. Cycles do change though… eventually!

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in ยป