Flying Insect Invasion

Posted By: joycec1957  Posted On: Mar 22nd, 2011  Filed Under: General

I’m new to FA, however, I have a question.  My home has been invaded by flying insects resembling humongous mosquitoes. I have heard these called “Skeeter Hawks” or “Gall-a-nippers” (because they look like they would take a gallon of blood if they nipped you.) However, they do not bite humans but just come into the house and fly around every light in the place.  I noticed that the grass in my yard is full of these annoyances. Does anyone know of a pet-safe way of getting rid of these things?  Hopefully, before they drive me totally bonkers.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Joyce Cane

1. Farmers' Almanac Staff says:

Hi Joyce,

We’re asking some of our writers who may have experience in this area. Thanks for your patience!

2. TheMaineMan says:

What region do you live in? Also, can you tell how they are getting in the house to begin with? Just when people open the doors, or what? If they aren’t biting you, then I’d recommend cleaning the place really good to eliminate potential food sources… no food the bugs will die off. Then it’s just a matter of keeping them out. Look for gaps in the home and try to seal them up until the season ends. This will be a safe, pesticide-free way to solve this problem.

3. Jaime McLeod says:

Hi Joyce,

I believe you’re talking about dragonflies. I’ve asked some of our writers, but no one really knows of a way to repel them. I would agree with Maine Man’s advice about cleaning, sealing off gaps, eliminating food sources, etc.

Dragonflies are considered beneficial. The nae “skeeter hawk” you mentioned before was given to them because they eat mosquitoes and other pests. Once you get them out of your house, you should be able to coexist with them peacefully in your yard. They are harmless to humans and pets, and devastating to nasty mosquitoes. Plus, they’re pretty.

Best,

Jaime McLeod

Web Content Editor

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »