To those of you in the path of Irene

Posted By: MSSouthernGirl  Posted On: Aug 25th, 2011  Filed Under: Weather

I’ve been thinking about Rickster, Father Frost and MaineMan most of the week since I have been watching Irene. I know that we have other members in our family here at FA that also live on the east coast.   PLEASE, all of you, stay safe! 

The following two links will give you a great deal of insight into what the storm is doing almost minute to minute.

http://hurricanecity.com/ 

This is their forum link.

http://www.canetalk.com/ 

The majority of the members of Canetalk are experienced storm trackers and the guy that runs Hurricanecity is an expert.  Reading some of the posts will give you a great deal of insight into what you could expect to happen within the next few days.

I frequent the Hurricanecity board during hurricane season because , being a weather freak, these storms are of great interest to me.  Back in 2008 I was reading the posts and watching the evolution of  hurricane Ike.  Something happened that I will never forget. On the day of landfall people who had heard about Hurricanecity were starting to post questions to the board. They were freaked out and looking for advice. Some were  talking about staying, some decided to leave but were worried about family members that decided against that. The Canetalk board members were telling these people to get out while there was still time. Some of them listened and some didn’t. We also learned that a group of people were having a hurricane party at a bar on Crystal Beach and that they planned to stream audio of their party.   The partiers wouldn’t hear of leaving. These people didn’t make it. When Ike hit the island their audio went dead.  My husband went down to the area with a friend to assist in the relief effort in early 2009. Crystal Beach was totally devistated. There was nothing left.

I hope that all of you will stay safe and heed evacuation warnings if they are issued.

1. snowlover says:

Thank you for your well wishes.  Unfortunately some folks just don’t think it could happen to them.  Even after the earthquake that happened here last Tuesday, some folks are not getting prepared.  I guess we have had to many “near misses”.  Oh well, I’ll keep watching as well as praying.  Virginia has been very “lucky”.  Sometimes that’s not a good thing.  People need to read your post, sadly though some folks still won’t pay attention. :(

2. snowboi1 says:

I read it and thank u.Im in South Carolina near Myrtle Beach.Thankfully its going past here with just some wind n rain which we do need.

3. weatherman911 says:

im long island hopefully it will die down alittle when it hits. but thank you

4. Grandin says:

Well said MSSouthernGirl. I comend you on your nice words to the fine folks of the eastcoast. Rick/Fatherfrost/MaineMan and etc. Please PLEASE be careful and take tons of pictures if you can and post them on here for sure when you all get a chance.

Dan

5. FatherFrost says:

Thank you all for the concern. I will be as safe as possible. And I will be taking pics and recording video to document the storms progression.

6. weatherman911 says:

FatherFrost- how do you upload pictures on here?

7. smackdown says:

Definitely will be praying for you guys. Take care of yourselves if you’re choosing to ride it out. Please give us an update to let us all know that you guys are ok when you can.

8. Tea says:

I live in Michigan. What effect will Hurricane Irene have on Michigan weather?

9. jonathan_1867 says:

Im from canada quebec i guess its going to miss me here in montreal all of you guys in the usa watch out stay safe!!!

10. GoNCSU says:

I’m in Raleigh NC, the rain has just begun…

11. TheMaineMan says:

It doesn’t look like it will be too bad here… rain is expected to start Saturday night and then pick up along with wind on Sunday morning. I’m under the first Tropical Storm Watch of my life. Around 3-4 inches of rain and winds 30-60 mph expected, depending on exact track. I don’t have any way to take pictures or post videos unfortunately, but I’ll stay safe. It will be a fast moving storm by the time it gets up here, and by Monday morning the sun could actually shine again.

Best wishes to all in the storm’s path. FatherFrost, you getting rain and wind yet?

12. fatima20 says:

It’s el terrible’ right now over here in virginia beach as i speak! It is truly awful right now! We may see 12-15 inches of rain by tonight and wind gusts over 100 mph, so this is incredibly loco or crazy! Hasta Luego chicos and chicas!

13. pearlss says:

My brother and his family live just outside of Leujune.  Niece has been trying to update family through Facebook.  They lost power last night due to the winds.  They’ve had minor damage so far.  My brother & his wife decided NOT to ride out the storm after all – thank goodness.  They got a room at a hotel in Havelock.  Unfortunately, from what the TWC and my niece has said, New Bern and Havelock have a lot of flooding.  Waiting for an update from them now.

They we get to wait it out for my family up in New Jersey.  Have several cousins who live at the shore and my other brother & his family live in Little Falls where they had all that flooding back in the spring.

14. pearlss says:

Fatima, hope you and yours are doing well.

15. USAclimatereporter says:

it has now been almost a year from hurricane irene i remember all the wind in new york city a tree fell on my street and all of brooklyn was undderwater

16. snowlover says:

Wow, we lost a Family member in that storm.  Hard to believe its been almost a year since Irene tore through here.  This man was cutting a tree from the road to get through.  He was only a mile or so from home when another tree fell on him.  That was sooo sad.  God bless his wife & kids and anyone else who lost someone or had property damage. 

17. TheMaineMan says:

Sorry to hear about your loss snowlover.

I remember that this was the strongest non-winter storm to hit my area in a long time, and I know that some parts of Vermont are still re-building roads and bridges even one year later that were severely damaged by this storm. My area is usually quite safe… yeah we get some severe winter weather, but if you’re used to it it isn’t a big deal. This storm, although it didn’t do much damage here, was a reminder that tropical storms are still possible and it’s best to be prepared/safe just in case.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »