All the Eastcoasters..Are you okay?

Posted By: snowlover  Posted On: Aug 29th, 2011  Filed Under: Weather

Hello everyone, I’m happy to report that I now have power (Am one of the 30% that has it)!  Was 30 miles north of Richmond during the hurricane; Irene tore that county up!!!!!!  Of course we have power at work :).   I did lose a friend of the family.  He was cutting a tree out of the road; when another tree hit him, killing him instantly.  I hope everyone else faired well.

1. FatherFrost says:

We’re okay here in Courtland, VA! No power for 2 days…and we picked up 15″ of Rain..all of which surprisingly soaked into the ground around here. Guess that means drought busted! lol. OH! And it also almost completely put out the wild fire in the Dismal Swamp. But yeah…now all the houses and yards are covered in limbs and leaf matter. lol. And there are several down trees, broken phone and power lines, and flooded roads throughout the county. But they have already cleaned up a bit of the damage! And our power was restored last night. Now…I can officially say DOWN WITH SUMMER, BRING ON WINTER! :-)

2. TheMaineMan says:

I was fortunate… no loss of power, only small branches and leaves down in my yard… some others won’t have power for a week. It was really a hit-or-miss type storm.

Winds in my town were only 20-30 mph with gusts to 50 mph, so I was actually shy of Tropical Storm conditions (39+mph)

3. WinteryKate says:

Glad to hear that you all are doing okay! I’m from MD, and most of my family is there. My uncles we have yet to hear from, and my grandparents are okay. They had only a phone line a few days ago, but due to the downed trees and things like that, their power goes on and off. Hope all in Vermont are okay… =\ Flooding is really bad up there.

4. MSSouthernGirl says:

Snowlover my condolances for the loss of your family friend. Good to hear that everyone else made it okay, although we have yet to hear from Rickseter. Can’t remember if he is in NC or SC. Seemed that VA got the worst of the storm. I think the east coast dodged a bullet with this one.

5. snowlover says:

Thank you MSSouthernGirl.  Our power company said that most of the power will be restored by this weekend.  Like FatherFrost said there are trees down, stop lights out, and such.  A minor inconvenience compared to Vermont.  It’s times like this that lets us know how spoiled we are, and no matter what your income is; we are all blessed and rich in so many ways.  I’m used to turning on my tv and computer (at the same time :) and relaxing before I do anything when I get home from work; and so is a lot of people.   

6. WinteryKate says:

It is terrible about your loss. It is sad that so many people have died because of this one storm. =( I hope you have power soon!!

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »