Any snow for the Mid Atlantic either at the end of this week or next week??

Posted By: Anthonypilone01  Posted On: Dec 5th, 2011  Filed Under: Weather

Is there any chance of snow for us in the Mid Atlantic region for during this week of next week? Because I got a few weather friends who have indicated something on the GFS model that there’s a possible snow threat or something like that. i want to believe. but i’m not sure.

1. McSnow2265 says:

Hi Everyone,

I’m new to the forum but having been observing for quite some time.  To Anthony…I live in southern new england and am anxious for some snow soon for sure.  I have heard rumors of something cooking for the mid-atlantic and southern new england in the Wednesday/Thursday time frame, but it will be all about timing.   There is a cold front which will have to pass by us to allow the temperature to fall just in time for low pressure to advance from the south.  I’m not entirely sure what’s at stake for the mid-atlantic but there are some models (non-GFS I believe) which are trending more north and west off the coast (which will increase our chances of snow) rather than a flatter wave which will track out to sea and give us nothing.  Sounds like it could still influence your area a little more with the GFS models and since you live further south.  Again, it will be about timing of the frontal passage and whether or not the NAO turns slightly negative.   Correct me if I am wrong but last winter’s incredible snows came when the NAO was negative and this is a big factor in determining storms for the East Coast.  

All in all…just want to see the white stuff to start falling.  Christmas activities feel kinda weird when it’s 60.   

2. Anthonypilone01 says:

Well, the northeast got the bulk of it and we either had only from couple to only few inches per storm and even the south east had good snow but it just passed us. so we basically got robbed by a lot of our snow which made me feel stressed and quite disappointed. The only big one we had was that thunder snowstorm. But after that, we haven’t seen anymore snowfall since. So I am hoping we’ll get more snow than what we had last year. I would like to see a few inches of snow for this one. but if not, I am still hoping to get more chances of snow but the warm front needs to GO lol

So in short terms, I am hoping to see some snow out of this system. If not, it is still early, with plenty of chance for more snow.

3. Jayne1954 says:

Here in WV they are saying we could get anywhere from 2 to 5 inches of snow starting tomorrow night into Thursday morning and it will be the heavy wet snow, we will see. Right now I am hearing different amount totals from other sources. So who knows! I guess I will know when I get up Thursday morning and look out the window, lol!

4. Anthonypilone01 says:

@Jayne1854 well, all we got here in Maryland was nothing but lousy rain and i am still waiting for this f****** warm front to finally go away so we can have that cold front to finally set in and by that, we should have better chances for snow.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »