Mark My Words: A YEARLONG HEATWAVE for 2012 is Upon Us, Based on This “Year WIthout A Winter” For The Great Lakes

Posted By: Rodney1974  Posted On: Jan 30th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Hello Everyone:

While it is true that I do have a reputation of complaining about the warmth and lack of snowcover this winter, what frightens me even more as a Chicagoan is the fact that this  hot, muggy  winter will indeed produce more bugs (i.e. wasps, house flies, asian beetles, cobwebs, etc.), along with the fact that summer could start as early as March and not ending until at least October. Why is that the case? Here are my reasons:

1. This winter has not produced a good freeze so far. The water temperature at Lake Michigan is still above 32 degrees Farenheit. 

2. The lack of snow cover has not provided enough moisture so far in the atmosphere. Typically, when you get lots of snow cover, the grass becomes moist and saturated with water, thus providing some cooling later during the spring and summer, especially when we have stormy periods. This year has been the exception. Therefore, the grass is showing some signs of brown, and it could result in a severe drought (Hint: 1988, 2005).

3. The warm winter temperatures increase our chances of having early unseasonsable warmth for the rest of this winter and into spring. It would not surprise me to see temperatures in the 60′s and even 70′s from late February into March (akin to 2000), along with April and May being in the 80′s and 90′s as well as June through possibly October being in the 90′s and 100′s.

I know what I am saying on this forum lacks any evidence, or sources from other long range forecasting, and I may be exaggerating here, and I hope I am wrong on these counts. But to be honest, tis is my hunch of what I think will happen the rest of this year. My only hope to God is that the Winter of 2012-2013 will be a little cooler, if not colder than this winter has been. Thank you and have a great day.

1. TheMaineMan says:

There is little correlation between winter weather and the weather of the following summer. There have been many cases of a mild winter being followed by a cool summer, and of a cold winter being followed by a hot summer (last year was a good example of that).

I wouldn’t worry too much. Besides, I think you’ll find February to be a far cry from December and January in the GL region.

2. Jayne1954 says:

Oh Dear Lord I pray that this summer isn’t to brutally hot and humid. I hate humidity!!!!! :(

3. The Rickster says:

I think this summer will suck as well to be honest. I hope TheMaineMan up there is right about the theory of a warm winter being followed by a cool summer, and all that. Summers here in S.C. are not fun… especially when you don’t have a swimming pool, and your main hobby is working on, and riding bicycles.

4. KatD-Mo. says:

we had a cool summer 3-4 yrs ago.  I was sick and couldn’t enjoy nada, not even the weather.  I’d MUCH rather have an other cool summer than an other like last summer, HOT, seriously HOT.   tho truthfully I didn’t see a warm winter coming this year.   we’re over due an old fashioned butt kicking snowy cold winter.   so if/when it ever does happen, eek.  tho being snowed in (at home) for a large part of one winter… doesn’t sound so bad. (we have a generator and heaters…..)
    oh well, come on spring!!!  lol.

5. Rodney1974 says:

Well, TheMaineMan, I also hope you are right about warm winters being followed by somewhat “cooler” summers. However, I am sure you do realize that the 2012 Farmer’s Almanac is calling for a very warm to downright grotesque summer across the country. The Great Lakes region may be wet, according to the Farmer’s Almanac, but I would not bet on it, due to the fact that they have been wrong about us having an average, white and wet winter. I still predict a nasty summer for us Chicagoans.

Furthermore, WGN’s Tom Skilling states that more than 80% of years with warm winters, similar to this one, have been followed by downright hot summers. Regardless of what happens, I am ready to leave Chicago for good and go somewhere either to Canada, Maine, Alaska, Northern Wisconsin, or Scandivania. At least in those places, there is a 95% probability of those regions having years with a winter.

6. TheMaineMan says:

I didn’t say that a cooler summer will follow a warmer winter… I was just saying that it can go either way. Both scenarios have happened plenty of times before.

7. USAclimatereporter says:

it has been almost 90 degrees all summer long and 45 degrees all winter long well …. for the most part

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »