Potential Snowstorm pattern to set up for the Eastern US

Posted By: wjp2011111  Posted On: Feb 7th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Well it seems like mother nature pulled a fast one on me yet again,  I originally predicted, back on JAN 8, that in 3 weeks we’d be in a colder regime, but it appears it’ll end up taking 5 weeks (Beginning on FEB 9).  Man is very much inferior compared to mother nature, yet we still can’t seem to realize that yet :p

Anyway I’ll give this a try, as I think there are clearer signs of a regime change.  I predict opportunities for winter storminess in the east on these dates (hopefully mother nature will take pity on me this time) :

Dates to watch: 

FEB 8-10

FEB 13-17

FEB 22-29

MAR 5-15

MAR 22-29        

This based on the large scale/global regime progression I am seeing, whether or not I am interpreting it correctly, we’ll find out.

1. The Rickster says:

How far South are we talking WJP?

2. wjp2011111 says:

This is for DC north, but folks farther south may get it too in my opinion tho with a lesser chance.

3. Grandin says:

WJP? what do you see for the northwest indiana area off the southern coast of lake michigan for the rest of this winter? im thinking it will be warm and muggy and in the spring it will be warm and wet then another hot and wet summer? whats your thoughts? please give me some good news wjp??

Dan

4. Jayne1954 says:

Hey wjp! How are you doing? Long time no see, but good to see you now :) Don’t be so hard on yourself cause alot of weather people have been fooled. So you are far from alone on this. Do you think that the Panhandle of WV will see some of these possible future snowstorms? Tomorrow we are expected to get 1 to 3 inches of snow. I would be happy to get at least one really nice snowfall of at least 6 to 8 inches this winter. I would say we have only gotten about 6 inches of snow so far this year, not counting tomorrow’s snow :( !!!! A far cry from the orginal prediction of 30 inches first predicted by our local weather team. But I can’t be mad at them, afterall only God knows for sure what’s coming.

5. sapporo1 says:

Yeah, no kidding, like this snow here in Monument, they predicted last night that we would get only half an inch, and today would be partly cloudy…and the reality..we got about 2 inches last night, and an additional inch or so today…though it is still snowing very lightly outside.
    At this point, we still have around a foot of snow on the ground, and according to the forecast, we will stay in a colder pattern this week, with another weak opportunity for snow showers Thursday night, and then a better opportunity on Sunday into Monday, and possibly a stronger storm sometime in the middle of next week…it sure got active all of the sudden around here, but I suppose we are making up for a drier than average November, as well as January.

6. snowlover says:

Yesterday our local Met called for a 20% chance of snow on Saturday!  I still haven’t seen ONE FLAKE!!!!  Keep hope alive!  Thanks for the notice WJP!  Hopefully some of this will hit Virginia really soon.

7. wjp2011111 says:

Hi guys :) I’ve been ok, just loaded with life/work and haven’t responded here as frequently.  If the low developing along the frontal boundary this weekend can develop quickly and retrograde/pivot a bit then I think some nice things could result but it is still up in the air whether or not it does.

Hi Grandin, I coudl be wrong but I theres a likelyhood that at least 1 or 2 storms will phase and ”cut” to the great lakes region which should result in snow for you if it happens as depicted.

Hi Jayne, the Panhandle of WV has been shafted pretty bad this winter I hear.  I do think your biggest snow is still yet to come, either in Mid FEB, or in MAR.     

8. Jayne1954 says:

wjp, Thanks and I sure hope so. Lately all we have gotten is and inch or two here and there with a total of 6 inches so far. Possible inch for Friday into saturday, oh poop to that, lol! I would be happy if we just got one good snowfall for the rest of this winter and pray next winter will be much better. Thanks for answering wjp and God Bless :)

9. mikej2004 says:

Hey wjp, here in Maryland we have been shafted here also. Will be be getting a significant snowfall here any time soon? I live in between Balt/DC.

10. KatD-Mo. says:

ok.  somebody get out there and do the snow dance.  I’d like to see at least ONE measurable snow this season.  we have a chance for snow on monday.  I know its too much to ask to get snowed in at home and miss a day at work….

11. KatD-Mo. says:

the odds are rolling in!!!    the odds keep going up!

12. The Rickster says:

Well NOAA (yes..NOAA) is saying there is a slight chance of rain and sleep down here in S.C. on Tuesday morning, before 10 AM. Good times. Why do I got the feeling that something else gonna happen? Lol.

13. snowlover says:

That 20% chance of snow that our local Met was calling for really happened!  Imagine that!  :)  It was very nice to see big puffy flakes falling.  Although we only got a dusting, I was very, very happy.  Perhaps that was the ice breaker for more to come.  I can only wish :).  WJP  you were right, now let’s keep our fingers (and toes) crossed that the other dates that you listed is on point as well. 

14. The Rickster says:

The “chance of sleet” was a bust down here. The low never got passed 41 degrees. Oh well. Thats why I didn’t get my hopes up, but it was still fun watching the system make tracks across the U.S.

On to the next storm!

15. snowlover says:

WJP hello, and how are you?  Our local Met here in Richmond VA is keeping a close eye on Sunday for this area.  They’re afraid to say the “S” word however elude to the possibility.  What’s your take on it?  Rain?  Mix? Thanks.

16. Jayne1954 says:

Snowlover our local weather guys are very carefully saying a possible snowstorm for Sunday into Monday here to. We are in the eastern panhandle of W.V.. The temp for Sunday is 35 and Monday 41, so who know’s? I know alot of times we have gotten big snowstorms always around or on Presidents Day, so we can only hope and pray. :)

17. snowlover says:

Yes Jayne1954 we will hope and pray.  Imagine it snowing so hard on Sunday that we can’t go to work on Monday!   What a dream!!!!!  There’s nothing like sleeping in late on a Monday morning:)  Keep me posted on any increase chances please.  Although you may get it; and the mountains will block anything from coming to Richmond.  :(

18. Jayne1954 says:

Well so far they are saying they are pretty sure that it will come our way. Could be a shovelable heavy wet snow. Not saying how much in inches yet and they probably won’t until tomorrow sometime. Who knows maybe not until Saturday cause they are playing it very safe with this one. I will let you know when they let us know.Hopefully snow will make it your way to. I sure hope so for you. :)

19. snowlover says:

Thank you.  100% chance of precepitation, starting as rain the first half of the day then….turn to SNOW!!!!!!!!!!!  Still like you said thus far no one has been brave enough to say how many inches, however they do say measurable snow:)  Sounds good to me; considering I just saw the first flake last Sat.  :)

20. Jayne1954 says:

Snowlover, things have change alot for us here in the eastern panhandle of wv!!! Storm has moved south and now we won’t be getting any big snow anymore :( Unless it moves back up alittle north, which they said could happen, hopefully!!!! Now the local is only saying about 2 to 4 inches for us, which sucks big time :o !! Well enjoy your snow and I am glad for you. :)

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »