Signs for Spring

Posted By: Flake Fan  Posted On: Feb 20th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Since there hasn’t been much winter this season (here in KC, we are in track to beat the least snowiest winter ever), spring is already trying to get going! Our crocuses began blooming in late January which is about three months early; the buds in the roses are just starting to leaf out and the grass is getting greener, also. This stuff didn’t happen last year until March and April. And the birds! For the past week or so, I’ve been waking up to chirping and whistling, but the first birds started two to three weeks ago. This is also about a month early! Unless the AO and NAO suddenly go negative together and unleash a late winter blast on the US, I’d say a very early spring is in store! :D

1. TheMaineMan says:

Grass turning green and a general lack of snowfall… along with the 40-50 degree daytime temps. Longer days too.

Usually don’t see foliage until April/May, so even with the extreme warmth I’m not seeing any foliage this early.

2. smackdown says:

Here in central IL its been in the 40-50s as well. Few trees are starting to bud, the willows are really coming out. Many, many geese/seagulls returning, also some robins.

3. Jayne1954 says:

Heck our grass has been green all winter so far here. Yes my tulips, and other flowers are poking up through the ground and are getting to high for me to keep covering them up with mulch to hopefully keep them warm. I’m afraid at this rate there will be not many flowers blooming for spring :( My mums have had green leaves on them all winter so far. This has really been a very weird winter and makes me wonder what next winter will be since this one has been pretty mild so far. I have already started to plan our veggie garden. Went to the store and got our organic seeds and pots to start them indoors soon. I am starting to get excited about planting our veggie garden. I mean don’t get me wrong I would still like to have at least one nice snowfall of at least 6 to 8 inches and I would be very happy till next winter. So what do you guys think since this has been a pretty mild winter could we possiblly be in for a bad one next year? Not sure how all this works. I am not real weather knowlegable.

4. FatherFrost says:

Here the creeping phlox and all the cherry blossoms are in bloom. And daffodils have popped up everywhere! The grass is turning a little greener here and there and all the trees have leaf buds on them. :)

And every morning there are birds all over the neighborhood picking food out of the ground, singing a song.

It’s wonderful!

5. TheMaineMan says:

I saw some ducks flying north today.

We got 3.5 inches of snow on Friday, so the ground is actually white and it looks like winter again. There is potential for more snow on March 1. Put spring on hold for now I guess.

6. USAclimatereporter says:

it seemed like the whole winter was spring for new york city

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »