How do you fix fried eggplant

Posted By: hujh2012  Posted On: Mar 25th, 2012  Filed Under: Cooking & Recipes

How do you fix fried eggplant

Retail Air Force One Shoes

1. SparkleNana says:

Yummy…   Fried Eggplant.   First…   I think you are supposed to soak it in salted water…   or something…   to draw out the bitter juices..   Does anyone really do this step?  (I don’t.) ———-

I slice the eggplant less than 1″ thick…   but thick enough to “hold together”.   I leave the skin on.   I dip each slice in beaten egg…  and move it around so it soaks up some egg.  Then I put it in a flat plate…   filled with seasoned breadcrumbs…   bought at the supermarket.   I cover the eggy egplant with the crumbs.   Then…   i put the slices on a cookie sheet (or two) and bake in a 350 degree over…   until one “tastes done”.   Maybe half an hour?   Depending on how thick the slices are…… ——-   You may notice that these are not really “fried”.   But they ARE really good….   and when I fry them…..   they get soggy and greasy and horrible. ————    
    These are good enough to eat as a side dish.   Or use in eggplant parmesan.

2. heilcraver@aol.com says:

LOL …  Eggplant brings back memories at our house.
    My kids made faces the first time I brought them home.  They were three mistrusting souls..looking at 4 rather large purple vegetables. Middle school aged kids do not trust vegetables anyway, but large and purple really got their attention.  Mom, WHAT is THAT? 

I washed, peeled and sliced them about half to 3 quarters of an inch thick.  I didnt soak them either.  I heard just do it like fish, so how hard could it be?

After dipping them in egg and Italian seasoned bread crumbs, the frying IS the messiest, but I used my Iron skillet- a thin pan or teflon just heats too fast while they cook and you burn the crunchy coating.. In other words, once the eggplant temperature goes up and its cooked throughout, the oil temp goes up faster.  A thicker pan slows the increase in temperature and you have a chance to get them out.

.The oil has to be just hot enough to fry without actually burning the oil. Also, keep the oil handy since you have to replenish it often and at least after removing each “batch” of 4 or five circles of eggplant.  You save oil by turning the discs just once, with a fork before the center is totally soft.  Cook the second side,  then scoop them out with a slotted spatula. Place on a cookie sheet in the oven that is lined with paper towels. The oven can be set “warm.”  These now may get eaten by the newly educated children who cant seem to get enough of them.  If you are going to use them in cassarole form, with sauce and cheese, you dont have to keep them crisp but can stack them after they drain.

I was using olive oil but heat ruins the nutrition, so I have switched to coconut oil, which keeps its nutritional value up to 400 degrees.

The truth is, that first time, my children kept “stopping by” while they were in and out of the house to scoop a few of the crunchy discs and just eat them like cookies.   Once these were discovered as delicious in our house, often, fried and lightly salted was all they wanted.  The eggplant almost never made it to “Eggplant Parmesan.”  (with Tomato sauce and cheeses.)  You will make an impression with family and friends and the gift of your labor.  My kids are grown, but I still surprise them when they visit with just fried on the side–if they make it out of the kitchen!

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »