A scientific opinion about this upcoming Winter…..

Posted By: FatherFrost  Posted On: Jun 13th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Hello everyone. It’s been a while. I see there are quite a few…erm…opinions, hunches, et cetera about this Winter on here.

Let me offer some science:

Currently, we are under an El Nino watch. The CPC is saying there is a 50% chance of an El Nino this Winter. Indeed, waters in the equatorial pacific are quite warm compared to last year and we are well on our way to such an event.

Models are calling for a weak El Nino, but just the other day the update came in and now one model is calling close to a moderate El Nino.

At this point, (TAKE THIS WITH A GRAIN OF SALT) the long-range seasonal model forecast are calling for a cooler than normal winter in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic, near normal for the Southeast, and warmer than normal in the West. In regards to precipitation, they are calling for a very wet D-J-F across the entire eastern half of the nation. REMEMBER, this WILL change.

Solar wise, the Sun is approaching solar maximum and will reach maximum early next year. When it does peak, it will be the weakest maximum in over a century. This could have long-term effects on the Earth down the road. Stay tuned.

The NAO, AO, and PNA are iffy this far out. That’s more of a wait and see situation. But we will need high-latitude blocking (-NAO/-AO/+PNA) if we want to have even a chance at a good winter. 

1. sapporo1 says:

Thanks ohio, we coloradoans should stick together, I don’t live too far from you, just up the road in Palmer Lake, but seriously NC, the weather in Colorado is just as diverse as any other state.
    Ohio, for instance is an example of a diverse climatalogical region, it is generally cooler to cold with more snowfall to the north near the lakes, like in Cleveland, but closer to the ohio river, it is quite a bit warmer and snow is less common like in Cincinatti, Colorado is that kind of diverse, except more amplified because of the mountain/valley effect.
    Anyways, there are many areas that depend heavily on rain and snow that falls over the mountains and foothills, because the lowlands don’t really get much precip, so winter forecasts are crucial for us, because it can mean the difference between recovery or destruction in this fragile environment. 

2. USAclimatereporter says:

i have never expeireanced an el nino it sounds bad but i look at it in weather books i wonder if i will ever expeireance one i wonder if i do every year but i do just not know it  do el ninos happen in new york

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »