WInters following hot, dry summers in Great Lakes (El Nino or La Nina analog years please)

Posted By: Rodney1974  Posted On: Jun 22nd, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Hello everyone:

As you may know, this year (summer included) in Chicago has so far been hotter than average with 10-15 days in the 90s and virtually no rain. Ironically, we are coming out of La Nina, and we could possibly go either into a weak or moderate El Nino. I would like to know what types of winters followed hot, dry summers that were followed by an El Nino in the autumn and winter months after that, such as winters of 1987-1988, 1991-1992, 2002-2003.

Speaking of these past winters, I am right now thinking that we could have a repeat  of 1991-1992. Though I was eight or nine-years-old at the time, correct me if I am wrong, but I somewhat remember the summer of 1991 being hot with a sunny, mild autumn and a sunny, warm winter of 1991-1992. The reason I am bringing up the winter of 1991-1992 is because 1991 -1992 was an El Nino  year which featured a warm spring, hot summer and a warm autumn, with the exception of a colder November of 1991. 

One more thing: I did not want to compare this abnormally hot, dry summer to 1988 and 2005, since both of these years went from being in an El Nino phase to a La Nina. Again, it is pretty obvious we are coming out of La Nina. All I would like to know is what type of winter to expect this year with a hot summer and a potential development of El Nino as well as some analog years for case scenarios, based on this year’s freakishly hot weather. Thank you for your time and your convenience.

1. Rodney1974 says:

Oops..i mean El Nino, not La Nina years. I apologize for the inconvenience. 

2. USAclimatereporter says:

i have never expeireanced an la nina or an el nino 

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »