Why I think we are in for a COLD AND SNOWY WINTER

Posted By: Ohio 5-O  Posted On: Jul 18th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

I could be wrong but alot signs seem to be pointing to a cold and snowy winter after this hot summer and my fellow Ohians could back me up on this one. One of the things is its been so hot that the lake erie water temperature is 76 degrees and the water stays warm come winter time with cold air then thats enough for lake effect snow. Anyone agree to disagree? Bueller?

1. snowlover says:

I sure hope you’re right.  Pay attention to next month.  If you see a lot of foggy mornings in August look out!  A snowy winter is very much a possibility!  :0)  We love looking and comparing signs on this forum. July is the month to get ready to get ready; but late August and September is the months that we really see signs.  Currently here in Virginia it is hot-hot-hot!!!! 

2. The Rickster says:

Hot hot hot down here in South Carolina as well. Signs point to good things this winter here as well.

3. pearlss says:

Start watching the wild life too. Squirrels and their tails. The bushier they start getting the colder/snowier the winter. Watch the rabbits (which exploded population wise btw this year) are they getting fat? I know our dozen or so are. They are eating everything in sight!

Does anyone remember the grass thing? Something about how tall it grows in at a certain time of the year in a specified time tells gives you a indicator of the winter as well. I know the farmers around here are saying to watch out. While they aren’t going out on a limb and saying global change here, but they are predicting that last winter will be a memory only this winter.

4. Grandin says:

lake michigan waters are 85 degrees. i agree all the lakes will create huge winter storms this winter towns that hugs all the lake your on notice. Im gonna love every second of it too.

Dan

5. sapporo1 says:

Yup, me too here in Colorado, the signs of an early and possibly insane impending winter are upon us, for instance, we have had several heavy fog spells already, and it seems like every time there is a thunderstorm, rising condensation keeps trying to form fog right over the palmer divide which is a huge ridge just a few hundred yards east of my house.
    Those deer are chomping away at everything here, whether it’s in town or not, they have been everywhere, same thing with foxes too, berries have been maturing faster than I have seen in a very long time, and grss has been starting to grow like crazy ever since the monsoon kicked in, and the weeds and grass that survived the drought are now really tall, some of it up to my waist and even a few as tall as my chest, apple trees going crazy withaturing apples everywhere and bords have been feeding like they’re on a mission or something, I don’t truly know if all these things truly mean anything, as there is no true tangible evidence to support that any of this means a hard winter, but my gut instict does tell me to be prepared for a decent dumping of hope, with some cold to go with it.
    Here’s to a big time winter for all of us. 

6. Ohio 5-O says:

It has also been hot hot hot here in Cleveland and we finally got some rain last night into this morning. Hey pearlss, you mentioned something about the wildlife having something to do with our winter forecast what do the deer have to do with it? Anything?

7. Ennaedwyn says:

I have no clue about the wildlife…but we had a dragonfly land at our doorstep (which I’m going to take as a good sign even though we live in the mid-west and are baking in the 10th level of hell…sheeeesh!) and I recently saw a deer cross the road (no chicken jokes please) but it was a young stag, with really small antlers. Spotted a red headed woodpecker on our feeder, but they are common this time of year. Haven’t seen the Canadian geese as much, which seem to summer here, but then I wouldn’t hang out much here in this heat if I were a fowl of some sort.

8. Ohio 5-O says:

Well they talk about wildlife having an effect like if the sqirrels tails are bushier than normal and how high the spider webs are etc. there was something about deer that I can’t remember. Where u at in the midwest Ennaedwyn?

9. Ennaedwyn says:

Just a skip and hope away from St. Louis (IL side) – squirrels seem to be rather active from what I’ve noticed. Bushy tails, maybe but not so much. My hubby had to pull in our bird feeder container (which was a plastic Ace container) a few weeks ago, because the squirrel was down right determined to eat through to get to the seeds. If we waited another 5 mins, the lil’ bugger would of made it. I know in our downtown park, they seem to be very active gathering nuts.

I recently spotted a red-bellied woodpecker (one I mentioned earlier) and possibly a purple finch (I was like “Why does this bird have a bright orangy-red/almost neon bum?” I examined it closer thinking “You are not a House finch”) Hubby believes its a purple finch because size wise, head to body, the purple finch was stocky whereas a house finch is more slender (like you could use it for darts – just kidding)
    Spiders? Well, we haven’t seen our local orb spider – but I KNOW during the spring we had two of them were VERY busy making REALLLY big webs (dented our fly population) Seems like most of the wolf and jumping spiders, along with the ants, want to move indoors with us. ><

We recently (2 days ago) spotted a cicada on our window (creeped our youngings out) and I found a ginormous horse fly (had to be 3 inches) on another window of the house today. 
    Bug/flora/fauna report from my end

10. spellbound says:

The darker and heavier bodied the deer the worst the winter…;)

11. Ennaedwyn says:

Was rather lean and normal looking….

12. Ohio 5-O says:

Thanks spellbound I guess I’ll start lookin at that seein that we’re overpopulated with those things here in Ohio lol I mean I can’t miss em

13. USAclimatereporter says:

there was no cold and snowy winter here in nyc

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »