Big changes coming this weekend!!

Posted By: sapporo1  Posted On: Sep 2nd, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

This next weekend will finally be a major heat breaker as we will have temps dropping all over the rockies and central/ northern plains, here high temps next Saturday will be low 60s, if any precip is involved, it could even be upper 50s! 
Lows will be low 40s, possibly even upper 30s, which would put us very close to first frost territory, how about that folks, hopefully a preview of what’s to come.

1. Grandin says:

Hope it works out for ya sapporo.

Dan

2. sapporo1 says:

Well, the daytime forecast has changed as of this morning to mid 60s at this point, but the night time temps remain the same, upper 30s to low 40s

3. Grandin says:

Notice when the weather people say there is a big cool down coming and it looks promisen on in there forecasting and a day or 2 later the temps start going up slowly? cool downs take forever to come! and warm up’s are here with in 2 hrs.

Dan

4. snowlover says:

You got that right Grandin!  :)  How come in the spring we don’t see many upper 60s here in Virginia, we might get one or two weeks of 60s then all of a sudden BAM, it’s in the 80s next week 90s then upper 90s and some 3 digit temps for good measure. August will be in the 80s or 90s with a couple days we’ll be teased with lower 80s. Then come September when we’re hoping for a cool down really fast the temps goes back up to the upper 80s or mid 90s.  It takes forever to get upper, mid, or lower  60s for daytime highs.  At least the way it is this year!!!  We had no spring because it was spring all winter :(

5. TheMaineMan says:

The temperature is going down gradually here. It’s actually very close to average, with highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 50s.

6. snowlover says:

I’m packing my bags and moving to Maine!  Just kidding; but dang…..I love the weather up there!

7. tarheelsrule44 says:

Today’s observed high where I’m at in Maine was only 62 degrees!  It was cloudy and rainy all day but the sun peeked out as it’s setting and it’s a pleasantly crisp 58 right now.  
    There have even been a few mornings when I’ve woken up to temperatures in the upper 40′s, assuming our outdoor thermometer is correct.  The leaves are getting more colorful almost daily.  I don’t know the normal peak time of the year for fall colors in Maine, but it can’t be too far away.  I’m going to guess Sept. 20th or so for my area.  I’ve got a good view of Cadillac Mountain from the front porch.  Will be real neat to see!

8. Leafpeeper says:

You most fortunate Maine dweller! We promise not to move there, but will have to plan a leaf-peeping excursion in future. Love the updates on this forum from real folk, not just travel sites.

9. Delstein says:

I’m jealous! This Saturday will be our first day to not reach 80 since August 11, according to the local CBS affiliate forecast. Also, lows will be getting to below 60 on Sunday, and I hope this is the start of a general cooldown. I’m sick of how how it was this summer (Saturday was 97), and I want nights in the 40s already! Just a taste of fall would be so nice around here. Mother Nature, hear my pleas!

10. sapporo1 says:

Nice and rainy here as well today maineman, temps were warm today to start, in the low 80s, but rain moved in  and then temps dropped into the upper 50s, and it has been raining most of the night and it’s nice, cool, rainy wearher, that is more like September.

11. buddy17474 says:

The Sunday high for me is supposed to be 77. First high not above 80 since the beginning of June. Then its supposed to heat up again, but I thinks thats the last of it we will see.After that, highs will range from the mid 70s to lower 80s for the rest of the month with highs getting as low as 54.but I am jealous like delestein , I want to see highs in the 60s! Sorry for the grammar, im trying to do this on my phone.

12. sapporo1 says:

Here we go, it kind of pisses me off when everyone says different things, which means there is no forecast that is consistant with another, for instance, the weather channel says still mid 60s and lower 40s on Saturday, but NOAA is saying around 70 with upper 40s, Accuweather is saying several days with low 60s and mid to upper 30s from Thursday through Saturday, and then again Mon-Tue of next week.
    what a bunch of crackpots, can’t anyone agree on anything these days?

13. sapporo1 says:

By the way, Weather Advance’s overall winter outlook is not consistant with what their models are indicating, yes, I understand, it may very well end up average to a little above normal temperature 
    -wise in the west, and a little cooler than normal in the east IF we have a west-based El Nino, however their models did indicate above normal precip in the southeast and lower mid atlantic, on that same note, his models also show average to slightly above normal precip in the northeast, and average precip for the rocky mountain states, NOT below average, in fact, in the late February/ March through may, which most of that is still winter in Colorado, their model shows much above normal precip for the rocky mountain states, especially Colorado, so in conclusion, nowhere in their models does it say anything about it being record- breaking or even that much above normal for snow in the east, nor does it say anything about below normal snowfall in the rockies, yet that is what their overall map is reflecting, here is what my synopsis is based on those models.
    Northeast will be colder than normal with average snowfall to the north and slightly
    Above normal to the south.
    Mid Atlantic will be colder than normal with above normal snowfall due to more southern storm tracks.
    Southeast will be much colder than normal due to frequent cold shots and an active MJO pattern, a few chances for snow and ice storms WILL exist for the bible belt, and frosts will extend into Florida.
    Midwest will be around average for temps in the Ohio valley, a little below normal in the upper Great Lakes, snowfall will be below average in the Ohio Valley unless more vigorous storms move in, Great Lakes will be around to slightly above average due to very warm lakes.
    Northern Plains will be slightly warmer than average, save for some brutal cold shots during mid to late winter, and honestly, I think it could be a back loaded winter for Noth Dakota and Minnesota.
    Southern, Central Plains will have near to a little cooler that normal temps with an active MJO bringing many storms to both areas this winter, especially the back half of winter, there will be some ice storms, some rain, and some snowstorms.
    Northern Rockies will be around to slightly above average for temps, save for those brutal cold shots later in the winter, much below normal snow for the first half of winter due to less PNW storms and the ones that do form will mostly take a southerly track, or storms not organizing until they are further south into Colorado, back half of winter should be near average for precip and snowfall.
    Central, Southern Rockies and Front Range will have near normal temps, possibly slightly above normal on the Front Range depending on how many downsloping events happen, cold shots will bring arctic air and and lighter snows, heavier snows for everyone with an active MJO, first half of winter may be slightly below normal forthe eastern plains of Colorado, due to storms traching farther south into New Mexico and the panhandle of Texas, but all of colorado with the exception of the Grand Junction area should have a very backloaded winter, with much above normal snowfall, also temps during the back half should turn out below normal.
    Pacific Northwest will be a split deal, Washington will be cooler than normal for temps, but quite dry due to disturbances being weaker and fewer in number and frequency, though, drought conditions will not do any harm after those extremely wet La Nina years.
    Oregon will be split, northern half will be near normal for temps and slightly below normal for precip, southern half will be warmer than normal and a little on the wet side, especially for the back half of winter.
    Southwest will also be divided, California, most of Arizona and the Wahsatch mountains of Utah will be warmer than average, but precipitation and snowall should be should be near normal north, with above normal precip south, especially eastern Arizona and most of California, the Great Basin to Salt Lake City will be warmer and drier than normal for most of winter, but the backside of winter should brings wetter conditions to that area, and cooler than normal temps.
    There, that is what I am thinking for this winter.

14. TheMaineMan says:

Tarheels, it depends a bit on the local tree mix of your neighborhood, but on the coast expect peak foliage from Oct 8 to Oct 15.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »