Winter Forecast 2012-2013 – A Return to Winter! by craig1

Posted By: Anthonypilone01  Posted On: Sep 16th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Hello everyone and welcome to the official first installation of Snow Day’s winter forecast 2012-2013. First off before getting into this years winter forecast, I would like to talk about last winter and what went wrong. Almost everyone predicted another blockbuster winter and we all know that didn’t happen. The NAO along with the AO turned sharply positive through the winter and that in turn created warmer conditions over the winter with blocking patterns keeping the cold air bottled up in parts of Canada and ESPECIALLY Alaska, they had a record breaking winter with excessive snowfall while nearly the entire United States experienced record warm temperatures, very little snow and ice and unhappy school children that received no snow days. In fact, I remember a few days in early January walking around outside in shorts and a t-shirt with temperatures approaching 70 degrees, that is just not right! Now let’s get into the winter forecast with first explaining what climate we are experiencing and heading into…EL NINO!

Winter Forecast 2012-2013 – EL NINO…EL NINO….EL NINO!
click here you read more here and check out the temps, precipitation and snowfall outlook  ——–> http://snowday1.wordpress.com/2012/09/16/winter-forecast-2012-2013/

Any thoughts? 

1. trw says:

I think you should work your maps to place the great lakes area in extremely above average snow!!!   maps look good, i just hope the patterns dont flop leaving us with a winter like last. 

2. Anthonypilone01 says:

@trw lol well, I didn’t make this map but I  couldn’t resist sharing. And yeah do agree it looks good so far for the east coast couple other areas. 

3. rainsticks says:

So you’re saying Metro NJ & NYC is going to have below average temperatures with above average snow fall??? Well, I hope the temperatures are still cold. I like the part about the snow though. At least you gave me hope for a decent winter in comparison to last year.

If winter ends up being anything close to last year, I will march to Canada on foot.

4. rainsticks says:

Woah, scratch that- I must have just woken up. Excuse me for my absent mindedness because none of what I said makes sense. Below average temperatures- I love.

This is a fantastic forecast.

For whatever reason my mind registered that as above average, probably because I haven’t yet had my tea this morning. Excuse me, haha. 

5. snowlover says:

Haha Rainsticks…wait for me, I’ll be marching from Virginia.  Then we’ll both march to Canada on foot!

6. KatD-Mo. says:

looks better than some others to me.  I’ll keep my fingers crossed.

7. sapporo1 says:

Canada? forget that, I might just march right up to the north pole and stay there lol

8. rainsticks says:

Then it’s decided. If winter turns out to be horrible this year, we shall march north until we hit snow! :]

9. snowboi1 says:

Its sucks for South Carolina.Man ill be so glad when i die so i dont so i dont have to worry bout this winter crap anymore.Its never gonna be cold like it used to be here.

10. Ennaedwyn says:

Looks awesome! So far the weather at its current rate seems to be already in position for what you’re predicting for this winter…I’m guessing the St. Louis, MO/IL area will receive a “normal” amount of snow this year?
    Which would be wonderful! The fact of NO snow last year was REALLLL depressing.

11. bulletins2 says:

I listen to abc news from detroit and dave rexwrath said that the fall months will have 40% warmth in the all of the great lakes basin and the winter will have warmer than average winter djf will be very warm and average or to non of the snow will fall.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »