Horrible upper ridge in the west continues to threaten life and property, when will the nightmare ever end?

Posted By: sapporo1  Posted On: Sep 21st, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

Upper level ridging has been plaguing the west for some time now, and threatens not to break down for at least another week, this is a very deadly situation for anyone in the ridiculously parched west, as moisture has been non-existant anywhere in the western half of the US, and wind, heat and fires continue to threaten to claim property and even peoples’ lives as long as this pattern continues, when with this nightmare ever end? 
The answer is, never, so long as we continue this unbelievable trend of below normal precip year in and year out that has persisted, we are so far behind normal moisture levels, I am starting to wonder if some of  our areas will ever truly recover from this, because it doesn’t look like it, every season continues to bring nothing but drought and warmth during winter and oppressive drought and unusual blazing heat  during the summer, with no words of hope for any kind of positive pattern change at all.
This pattern of way too wet in the east, way too dry in the west (most of us, anyways) seems to be turning into the new normal. 

1. stuffradio says:

Couldn’t be further from the truth. It’s raining here today in SW BC. Although we’re far below normal in terms of precip for September and August, we are not in drought category.

2. sapporo1 says:

Most of Canada and the immediate PNW are not, but farther south in the western US, especially California, Utah and Wyoming southward, we are in one of the worst droughts in history.

3. sapporo1 says:

By the way, usually when I talk about the west, I am usually only refering to the US west

4. sapporo1 says:

By the way, usually when I talk about the west, I am usually only refering to the US west

5. whiteout says:

Though not drought, the PNW is getting well above normal temperatures and well below normal precipitation, spawning forest fires. Parts of Nothern BC is in drought, and the reservoirs are going dry, leaving residents with very limited water use.

6. sapporo1 says:

Yeah, even worse drought conditions in Colorado, our endagered fish species are now threatened with extinction because rivers are running nearly dry, fire danger is extremely high from Colorado to the northern plains and it’s only getting worse with no chance of any significant cooling, no chance of any helpful precip, and even in the  long range outlooks, no chance of any troughing in our area, or anywhere in the western US for that matter, we are threatened with another 2010-2011 winter in eastern Colorado, which featured record drought and strong winds, and if we see that again this year, it will be the end of Colorado, our rivers will dissappear, entire forest will die and become a distant memory, ski resorts will go out of business, and land values will become worthless.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »