Found 2 persimmon seeds and seen a wolly worm!

Posted By: Grandin  Posted On: Sep 26th, 2012  Filed Under: Weather

So i was at a job site Tuesday and in the back there is a wooded area and i found 2 persimmon seeds so i picked them up and put them in my truck. And when i got home i opened them there were 2 big spoons in them YES! And on my back deck at home i seen a wolly worm for the 1st time this year and he was black with a short brown band. Now i believe that means a long and severe winter? But the black walnuts has been falling like crazy lately. And every time i see a squirrel he allways has a acorn in his mouth or burying them. And the squirrels are collecting the black walnuts too. And before it got down to 31 degrees Saturday night i was seen HUGE black spiders and huge cobwebs.. And the gooses were flying south in there V shape format. And i haven’t heard the morning birds sing and i really haven’t seen any birds at all since mid to late August.So im thinking like Maineman is sector 4 will get it bad this winter to make up for last winter and this horrible HOT drought we had this summer. Time will tell….

Dan

1. Leafpeeper says:

Lol! Grandin that is all very delightful to hear! May they all be signs of agreat freeze comin’straight on the heels of an early autumn! So what’s the scoop about the persimmon seed and spoon phenomenon? Sounds like a nice bit of weather predicting folk style; give it to us! :D

2. Grandin says:

Hey leafpeeper,

here is the scoop on persimmon seeds..  If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow will fall. Spoon = shovel!If it is fork-shaped, you can expect powdery, light snow and a mild winter. If the kernel is knife-shaped, expect to be “cut” by icy, cutting winds. And the persimmon seeds are mainly found in the north parts of the united states. There not to common in the south or west.. And if you do find them and crack them open and see a sppon or fork or knife in them it usaly tells you what kinda winter you will have in that area. Last year i didn’t find one nore did i see a wolly worm. This year s alot different though.

Dan

3. spellbound says:

I have not seen any wolly worms as of yet, but my little girl told me this morning that at recess yesterday that her and her little friend were playing with a fuzzy worm that would curl up and they would roll it !!! lol First I told her not to roll them, its not a bowling ball, second I asked what color, she said all black…. ;)……..BUT as we all know it is up to that bi polar Mother Nature to have the last say, no matter what anyone’s forecast is.  I believe the world in a transition that we have never seen before, not global warming, just transition, who knows what will come, but I think we are in for a heck of a ride…..  Karen

4. amy n says:

Awesome news, Grandin! Congratulations, I am going to try to locate a persimmon seed here in CT.
    I am so ready for this! 

5. pearlss says:

We saw our first woolly worm over the weekend and it was white!

6. The Rickster says:

I’ve found persimmons here in SC but they are very uncommon. We used to have a tree just across the fence in our back yard. Sadly, the tree died. Haven’t seen anymore since. If anyone comes across any here in the South east, please share!

7. Leafpeeper says:

Thanks for the clarification, Grandin. Like Amy N. I’ll see if I can track one down–all this talk of snow shovels, light powdery snows and cutting wind is making me hungry to eat a persimmon!

8. Grandin says:

lol karen i think your little girl did find a wolly worm i hope it was black with a short brown band! And amy i hope u find the persimmon seed real soon and find alot of spoons in them! Pearlss i never seen a white wolly worm before ill have to research that and see what it means? I hope u get a long and cold and snowy winter though! And Rick if u get cheated on winter come up here it snows by the feet when the lake effect machine gets reved up! And Leafpeeper no problem glad i could help. And haha im hungry too i been at work allday and skipped breakfast and lunch..

Dan

9. Leafpeeper says:

Pearlss, I wonder what a white wooly worm indicates? Let’s check out some folklore sites and see if we can find out fro your little girl if there is winter weather tied to it!

10. Leafpeeper says:

In a blog called All About Worms, there is an article entitled: White Wooly Worm Weather Predictions and other Insect Tales. Scroll down past the ads and in the third paragraph down  theysay the white wooly worm indicates heavier than average snow season. Hooboy, I hope that white fuzzy one you found agrees with those predictions! Here’s the article so you can read it for yourself: http://www.allaboutworms.com/white-woolly-worm-weather-predictions-and-other-insect-tales

11. Shadowloki10 says:

I have a a few wooly worms, I wouldn’t say they are white but they are a really really light rust color, its weird. 

12. hollyr87 says:

Grandin what are persimmon seeds, what do they come from? heard of the spoon thing before though.

13. snowlover says:

Leafpeeper what a cool site.  Thanks.  I’m now gonna be on alert for a white wollybear worm!  :)  I enjoyed reading that; thanks again!

14. Grandin says:

Hey Holly,

Persimmon seeds grow on ornamental trees. And are mainly found in the north states. There very un common to find in the south or western states cause it’s  too warm. But persimmon seeds have been found in the south just not common they would be. But if you find one and cut it open it usally tells you what kind of winter that area will have cold and snow and ice and wind wise.. If the kernel is spoon-shaped, lots of heavy, wet snow will fall. Spoon = shovel!If it is fork-shaped, you can expect powdery, light snow and a mild winter. If the kernel is knife-shaped, expect to be “cut” by icy, cutting winds. The kernal is the seed by the way..

Dan

15. coltsfan says:

A few years ago I seen a all white woolly worm the first part of October. That winter we had tons of snow and even ahd a bad storm. I live in Indianpolis and I haven’t seen a wolly worm yet, but I am sure they are around. I have seen tons of spiders and webs and even in my house until we sprayed. Really bad this year! Also tons of crickets and grashoppers. Hoping for a grand winter here too. We all need some excitement to share!

16. pearlss says:

We’ve seen white and black now. Saw a white one about a week ago and today we saw a full black one. I know the article says science has debunked a lot of the “mystery”, but you know what? Farmers and the like, used it for hundreds of years. I go with them.

17. hollyr87 says:

thanks grandin. dont think we have any of those persimmons around my area.  heard about them when we lived in illinois.  have seen the white and black wooly worms more of the white than the black.

18. TheMaineMan says:

Just about every woolly worm I’ve seen has black on both ends and brown in the middle, which I suppose means that the start and end of winter will be colder than normal, but the middle may bring milder temperatures. This would not surprise me actually, and is in line with my local forecast for winter.

19. Grandin says:

Your welcome Holly.

Maineman i think your winter will start off real cold like mine will and stay that way i believe ill get a ton of snow cause lake michigan is very warm this year. And will unleash big time snow storms. And maineman i think you will get your share of snow as well just not as severe as i expect my area. none a less i hope you have a good winter season this year! everyone else too.

Dan

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »