What a difference a year makes : 80 degrees vs. 35 degrees.

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Mar 21st, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

This week last year, a record-breaking warm spell came over Maine and quickly erased people’s memories of the weak winter that preceded it. Each day that week was 70+ degrees, but the warmest days were March 21 and 22 when the thermometer reached a record-smashing 81 degrees. It was the first time that I ever saw 80 degrees (heck, even 70 degrees) in March… anything over 50 in March is quite warm up here… the average high for the date is only 42 degrees (average low 27). I remember being outside in a shorts and t-shirt helping to set up an outdoor gazebo, getting bit by blackflies and longing for ice cream.

Fast forward one year to 2013… and we’re barely getting above freezing. We just had another 7 inches of snow on Tuesday, which is still covering the ground due to the chilly temperatures.  It’s getting down into the 10s at night with highs barely reaching the mid-30s. No danger of being bit by bugs today. No 40s in the forecast until next week, but no more snow in the forecast either.  April on average brings an additional 6 inches of snow, so chances are I’ll still see some more at some point, but it doesn’t look like an early spring here. Especially not compared to last year.

What a difference a year makes!

1. Grandin says:

last year it was 87 degrees here. Today it was 28 degrees with no snow on the ground. complety bare brown ground. But there are hints of a major snow storm sunday going into monday. But all next week it’s suppose to be in the low 40′s so what ever falls will melt fast. And same as maineman there are no signs of any warm with in in the next 10 days.. But i did hear spring for alot of the country will start of cold and end really warm and wet. with a warm to hot summer and once again wet. so we’ll see…  Me and my family will be moving to New Hampshire this summer inland big time. So i hope the eastcoast treats us well.. Like it does when i visit there alot to help with any storm damage..

Dan

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »