What a turnaround…from extreme drought to flooding.

Posted By: sapporo1  Posted On: Apr 25th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

Over the last few weeks, there have been some big changes that have been taking place from Colorado to the central and northern Plains, and all the way into the Midwest, in the Midwest, the same states that were in a horrible drought last year around this time, are now seeing heavy rain and severe flooding, especially in Indiana, Illinois, Iowa and Missouri. 

In the worst drought areas of Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming and South Dakota, heavy snows and rains have significantly eased drought conditions, especially in Colorado, Nebraska and Wyoming, in fact, in Colorado, mountain snowpack in many of the river basins has either caught up to just about normal, or has even surpassed that and a surplus is building, which is great news, not to mention that there is more wet and potentially snowy weather in the forseeable forecast, great news, it is a sign that little by little, we may likely start to pull out of this drought, or at least slowly erode away at it,  despite recent forecasts  by agencies who swear up and down that drought will only worsen, and couldn’t possibly recover, looks to me like Mother Nature has different plans in mind for our area this year.

For the northern Plains, extremely cold weather and heavy snows recently have brought a deep snowpack due to the same systems that have slammed the Rockies, with a big warming trend setting up shop in the northern Plains and upper Midwest, massive flooding along the major rivers is imminent, and contingency plans for alternate routes to residential areas near the river banks as well as evacuation plans are necessary.

Needless to say, once the dangers have cleared, it will be a time of hope, to recover from the damage left by one extreme, then the other, and maybe a time of celebration will be at hand, as farmers and ranchers and those whose lives revolve around water, can finally pick up the broken pieces of a drought-ravaged livelihood and start to make up for lost time, money and dreams, and prosper once more, as for those poor souls who may have lost, or in the future may lose a home or a loved one to floods, severe weather, avalanches or car accidents due to any one of those and other weather events, my heart goes out to you, and you will not be forgotten.

1. TheMaineMan says:

Hopefully you can get moderate amounts of rainfall frequently instead of getting it all at once.

2. sapporo1 says:

that would be nice, here’s hoping for a wet remainder of spring and a wet summer.

3. Grandin says:

the mississippi river water levels went up 31 feet in a matter of one week. And lake michigan waters have went up 47 feet in the past 2 weeks. i think the droughts are done. it wont be as near as hot as it was last year  i heard will will be very wet for all of us and warm to hot then to warm..

Dan

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »