Has anyone else noticed how insanely cold it has been in Alaska these last few years?

Posted By: sapporo1  Posted On: May 17th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

I don’t know if this is a direct result of  the increasing levels of  melting sea ice in the eastern arctic or not, however it seems to me that ever since the melting ice in and around Greenland and Northeast Canada, as well as the Arctic Ocean have reached these record levels over these last 2 years, that oddly enough, Alaska has been having some insanely cold and snowy winters that seem to be lasting longer and longer, in fact, as we speak, it is snowing in southern Alaska, including the Anchorage bowl and Matanuska-Susitna valley areas, which is nearly unheard of.

My burning questions are…

What does this mean? is the supply of arctic air  in winter going to shift to Alaska instead of Greenland and Northeast Canada? 

Could this possibly be how the last ice age began?

And if so, does this mean that the ice cold periods began in the Northwest before pushing southward, then eastward to encompass the entire North American continent?

Last, but not least, does this sudden onset of a severely cold and snowy Alaska mean anything at all,

or is it just coincidence that as the eastern arctic melts, that the western arctic is freezing over?

1. TheMaineMan says:

I honestly have no idea… but if WJP ever returns I hope he reads this because I bet that he would know. He is very good at answering questions like this.

Phil… you still around at all?????

2. Blackisue says:

Hello All! I am new here, and I’m so sadden by all of these catastrophic events in Oklahoma.  Is there anyway we can get Homeowners in Tornado Alley, the proper Insurance protection that they so desperately need?  Meaning reviewing and rewriting policy’s, implementing storm cellars, and other safer measures et. 
    Lastly, is it at all possible that we are experiencing “fall out”?  Or is that just another conspiracy theory?  Please let me know feedback. I’d greatly appreciate it. 

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »