Not even breaking 50 degrees today… snow in higher elevations (May 25???)

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: May 25th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

Memorial Day weekend… the weekend where Northern New Englanders can traditionally start to plant crops that do not tolerate any level of frost, will bring conditions more typical of April than of late May. Today is not even expected to reach 50 degrees in my town, with a forecast high of 49 degrees. Snow levels are going down to 2000 feet tonight.. although I will not personally see any snow from this, the mountainous regions will see some very late-season white stuff.  The last two days have each brought an inch of rain, with another inch likely to fall today. We’ve gone from very dry conditions to saturated conditions over the past week. This has been the chilliest May that I remember in quite some time.

That said, next week looks sunnier and warmer… might even break 80 for the first time this year. Looks like next week might be garden-planting week.

Anybody else seeing cooler-than-normal conditions?

1. sapporo1 says:

Reverse that rain and send it west, we are starting to dry out lately and I am starting to get worried about any dry heat waves developing, because this isn’t the area of the country that can handle a dry heat wave any time soon.
    A nice humid airmass that doesn’t get so quickly scoured out by westerly/southwesterly winds would be nice, I only hope we will bear the brunt of next week’s storm…because if we do not keep getting at least one good storm ststem every week, like we have been, then all our beautiful, tall green grass that helps keep us cooler will dry out and wither away, and we may be in danger of the weather “going south of the border” (aka extremely hot, dry) like it did last year, no offense Mexico, we like your culture, but we don’t want your weather.

2. tornadoes2 says:

this year will be different then last year we will see stormy conditions overall frequent severe storms this week has biggest potential to bring down powerlines and trees for potential severe weather to the central and northern plains and to the great lakes for the whole week beware for these storms erupt.

3. TheMaineMan says:

It looks like the warmer temperatures arrive on Thursday. We might even break 80 for the first time this year, with lows getting into the mid-lower 50s. However, next week is back to the low 70s, which is actually fine with me. I find 60-70 during the day very comfortable, and 40-50 at night.

4. snowlover says:

Well it’s June 7 and we’re seeing our first tropical system.  Adrain or Adreine is her name.  A very cool, rainy friday here in Richmond VA!  I hope we continue to have a cooler summer. 

5. TheMaineMan says:

It has continued to be wet and cool up here too. Highs around the mid-60s at best, and lows in the 40s. Average is more like 73 and 53.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »