Excited!!!!

Posted By: amy n  Posted On: Jul 29th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

My daughter just found a wooly worm and it is almost all black! Just small band of brown!! Yeah!!!!!!!

1. snowangel78 says:

Cool! What state are you from? I’m from western NY south of Buffalo.

2. pearlss says:

We found one on our porch about a week ago.  While not black, it was a very dark brown. hmmmm

3. amy n says:

I am in the western part of Connecticut about twenty miles north of the shoreline. Right around the Danbury area. 

4. TheMaineMan says:

I’ve only seen one so far… was almost completely tan. Will keep an eye out for more, they usually become more numerous in August.

5. amy n says:

Interestingly enough, the last couple of years, the worms have been half- black and half-brown, and both of those winters were a disappointment (at least, for this snow-lover!). 
    Today, I noticed that the tree that had a lot of nuts the last couple of years does not have a lot of nuts, but I did find the top of the nut, just the shell part, with the nut gone. This has me wondering if the squirrels are taking all the nuts and hiding them away. Or maybe they are just eating the nuts now.
    Also, the apple tree is overloaded, and they are already ripening and falling off the tree.
    What are everyone’s thoughts on these signs? Do you think I am hoping to see something that is not there?

6. The Rickster says:

No worms for me :(. I live in SC so I think thats too far south. 

7. snowangel78 says:

This may sound crazy but I have chokeberry bushes and they are already red and loaded too. So maybe that is a good sign of an big white winter.

8. snowlover says:

Amy who knows for sure? Like you I’ve been following signs for the past few years; I’ve sometimes questioned myself wondering if it was wishful thinking or if meant anything. As far as I’m concerned it seems like you have some good signs already considering it’s only the end of July! Keep up the search and anything that seems extreme is a really good sign such as LARGE spider webs; An abundance of acorns, thicker tails than normal on squirrels, crazy squirrels hurring to hide nuts for the winter. Like I said we all see most of these but to an extreme is what we’re looking for. August is tomorrow and I’m looking for foggy mornings, the thickness and length of time that the fog lingers will be recorded. At the end of the month if you have a lot of foggy mornings that will foretell the snow frequency you’ll get for your area. Now this depends on where you live. In 2009 I remember thick fog until 10:00 am here in Richmond. Now that’s unusual. I think Maine Man says most of his August mornings are foggy. Then again that makes sense because the northeast usually get more snow than the mid-atlantic also. Good luck and keep us posted.

9. mary3618 says:

Haven’t seen any signs here in Atlanta, GA.  Last year we had an abundance of Hickory Nuts and squirrels with very bushy tails – but our winter here in atlanta was very mild.  We need a very cold snowy winter this year.  We are long overdue.  Can anyone elaborate on our 2013/2014 winter for Atlanta, GA?

10. snowlover says:

Mary I hate to tell you but I think it’s still a bit too close to call.  You can be on the lookout for Accuweather; but you’re on the right forum because if someone find anything they’ll share it on here.  Right now everyone is getting ready to get ready to look for signs.  That usually hold us until the predictions come out.  The good thing is that tomorrow is August!!!!  Which means that Autumn is around the corner!  My favorite time of the year. 

11. amy n says:

I’m going to be away for the first couple of weeks of August, but I can have someone who is staying behind keep a look-out for foggy mornings. It seems to me that for the last couple of years, August has not been very foggy, which makes that sign as a predictor of snow very accurate.
    Snowlover, I am also excited that fall is around the corner as fall and winter are my favorite times of year! And in our area, we are getting a big cool down at the beginning of next week (into the 40′s and 50′s at night). I won’t be here to enjoy it, but knowing that it is coming fast makes me a happy person!!!!!! 
    I can’t wait to wear my Uggs again!!!!!!

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »