Dangerously close to frost conditions forecast for tonight

Posted By: TheMaineMan  Posted On: Sep 5th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

Looks like I might have to cover up what’s left of the garden just to be safe tonight. The forecast low is 41 with clear skies. While this is unlikely to cause a frost, if their forecast is a bit off and it goes into the upper 30s, it could certainly hurt what is left of the frost-intolerant plants. I’m not going to take the chance. This appears to be the only night in the 10 day forecast that is going below 45, and our average first frost isn’t until the end of the month, but a frost this time of year is certainly not unheard of. If nothing else, a cool night will help along the apples and foliage that benefit from such conditions. I’m not seeing any colors on the trees yet, but expect to start seeing some changes soon. Forecast high is 67 and sunny. Not bad!

1. TheMaineMan says:

My garden was long gone at that point… just a few garden bean plants left that are getting ripped apart by slugs. All of the rain lately has made the slugs rampant. There wasn’t even frost on the ground anyways, only on metal (like the car roof) and on the asphalt shingles. I don’t think we’ll get a heavy frost for another week.

That’s pretty low for VA at this time of year… has the humidity been very low?

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »