Foliage

Posted By: ShawnM  Posted On: Sep 26th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

The red maple in front of my bed room window at first had only one leaf’ tip change orange red and now it’s looking more bright scarlet which is what it’s peak color is supposed to be, the rest of the leaf hasn’t changed yet. A few other leaves have began to change with the orange red color on the tip and sides of the leaves. I can hardly wait til it’s time for peak foliage season for the area of my state! 

The reason is because with the drought last year I don’t think the tree’s leaf color hit it’s peak and also I believe the leaves began to fall even before it was time to hit it’s peak, it did have leaves on it, but not all of them. The leaves I believe were a type of red color, but they were not bright scarlet. Because of all of the precipitation from January-May and off and on til this month along with the sunshine and occasional dry weather the leaves should look spectacular this peak foliage season. I am hoping to see a beautiful bright scarlet red tree in October! :)

1. TheMaineMan says:

Yes, a drought will ruin the prospects of a bright foliage season while sufficient rain will help.  I too am looking forward to the best season in a few years hoping that the rain we’ve had over the summer and fall will lead to bright colors. :)  Most trees are now changing color and we should be in peak season by next week (our peak season is October 1-15).

I remember in 2009 when it rained all summer long and everybody was depressed… the one good thing about it was that the colors that fall were the best I’ve ever seen.

2. ShawnM says:

The peak date for fall foliage for the northern section of the state of Missouri is October 5-21.

3. snowlover says:

I’m with you MaineMan, in 2009 the fall foliage here almost took my breath away!  That winter was the best that I’ve seen in many moons (sounding like my Grandfather:).  This summer was slightly above normal in rain also, so I’m hoping for a nice, white, cold winter.  The extra rain will also help with the leaf color vibrancy and it’s good for apples here in Virginia also.  There was an article in yesterday’s paper about the abundant apples and vibrant color and sweetness due to the rain, sun and cooler nights!!!  Seems like we’ve hit the jackpot this year so far.  No hurricanes and the summer wasn’t a scorcher and the for the first time in a long time we didn’t have to hear the dreaded word “DROUGHT”.  Now for lots of snow!!!!

4. ShawnM says:

I agree! I too want lots of snow this winter! Thundersnow sounds good to me! Perhaps a blizzard or two! :)

5. TheMaineMan says:

Yes, that was the year almost the entire US had a great winter except for Maine. In the temperature departure map, everywhere was blue except for Maine sticking out like a sore thumb in red.

6. KatD-Mo. says:

I can now see bits and pieces of many trees starting to change. We’ve had a little rain and with this cooler weekend coming up, I’ll bet we’ll see a lot more next week.

7. ShawnM says:

That will be awesome! With all the rain we had from January to May and now and then since then the red maple in front of my bedroom mirror should be bright scarlet red this autumn. :)

8. TheMaineMan says:

We’re just about in peak color now. Today I’m driving further inland where they should be in full peak, looking forward to it!

Colors are rather robust this year as well.

9. ShawnM says:

I meant window not mirror! ^-~

That’s awesome MaineMan! :)

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »