Moving to Wisconsin

Posted By: Hopeful2BCheeseheaD  Posted On: Oct 14th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

Hi everyone,

I’m a newbie here and not quite sure what to do.  My husband and I want to move to Wisconsin.  I would like to move by the end of the year and spend our first Christmas in whatever city in Wisconsin we have chosen.  My husband wants to wait until Spring or after because of the weather.  Now my husband is use to driving in cold weather, as he has lived in Illinois and Iowa, and I think we can make it safely in December.  I’d love to hear what the rest of you think.  Should we move in December, or wait until the spring?  Have any of you ever moved from the west or southwest to the Midwest in the winter?  How was it?  Thanks for all opinions.

Peggy

1. sapporo1 says:

By west, what do you mean? What state?
    If you do make it to Wisconsin, then congrats, lots of snow and cold there.

2. doomyoshi says:

looking for a white christmas, eh? december is a rough time. green bay/milwaukee area have snow more often than not around chrismtas, but plenty of years you can get through december with only a few falls. the real dumps don`t start until january. if you come up by eau claire or sault-ste-marie, you are talking winter hell. I really don`t suggest you try going up there if Iowa is your idea of winter.
    not sure what your housing arrangement will be and i don`t mean to sound snarky but there are things you may not be used to such as snowdrifts keeping your door shut so you are stuck in the house, and you need to get lots of firewood ready for the winter, plus pipes freezing is something that frightens many.
    in short – the big cities will be ok but don`t move to a cabin in december.

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »