How accurate wolly bears?

Posted By: snowangel78  Posted On: Oct 15th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

Okay I am not really sure about the first wolly bear I just saw. It had a wide brownish/orange band with little black on butt and head. But there was alittle black in the center of his brownish/orange band. There has been a lot of other signs of a harsh winter. Maybe this wolly bear didn’t get the memo or something. Really wish I could upload a picture for you guys.

1. TheMaineMan says:

Well, considering that I’ve seen these things with black fronts/brown backs, as well as some with brown fronts/black backs, they contradict each other if nothing else. I mean, some might be accurate while others are not, lol.

2. PattyPooh3 says:

What about squirrels??  I live in NW Indiana and I haven’t seen even ONE squirrel in many weeks!  It is SO UNUSUAL!!  The Walnut trees are dropping their nuts, etc.,and usually one sees squirrels all over…but this Fall, NONE at all?  Any idea why?  What this might mean??

3. smackdown says:

Woolly worms are more of a folklore but none the less a local weather station does a forecast each year and they have projected them to be 80% accurate. Look up the past article I posted titled “official woolly worm forecast” there is a video link attached to it. As for squirrels mine have been very busy all day long. Not sure where yours went Patty… is there a Chinese restaurant in the area lol.

4. snowangel78 says:

note about the squirrels depending on where you live and the amount of big birds ( eagles, hawks and others) there is a good chance the squirrels became a birds snack. Its horrible to think of something like that but they are part of humans and birds and coyotes food chain. Last year the squirrels were all over the place then a few days later there was only 1 or 2 around.  Sorry if I scarred anyone for life.

5. Dannette says:

I live in Southern Arkansas and I also have noticed the lack of squirrels gathering up the acorns that have fallen. I was trying to figure out if this is a sign of a harsher winter than we have had the past few years. I guess I just have a gut feeling its going to be nasty for us here this winter since our evening temps are already dropping into the low 40s which is really unusual for us this time of the year.

6. TheMaineMan says:

It’s been 40s for us which is unusually warm… should be in 30s this time of year at night.

7. snowangel78 says:

Weather has just been plain weird this fall. The Midwest has already had their snow and the northeast has more like summer temps. NY state is going to be in the 50s during the day and the 40s and 30s at night.

8. snowlover says:

I’m concerned about the Southeast Ridge that Sapparo1 was referring to.  So far here in the Mid Atlantic it seems that we’re on track for Autumn.  Does anyone know what a ridge is?  Is it some sort of blocking?  Next week we’re expecting to have lows in the 30s for a day or so.  Highs in the lower 70s or upper 60s. 

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »