Warm snap this week, possibly a big storm coming this weekend..

Posted By: sapporo1  Posted On: Nov 13th, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

I have been closely monitoring the unfolding weather situation throughout these last 2 weeks, and it has been a wild ride for the whole nation.
By the way, before I get to our story, let me first extend my greatest empathy towards those people affected by typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines, and we need to all support the US and Japanese forces in their efforts to help those people.
Now, there has been a pretty wild pattern over the last few weeks here in the US, and expect that to continue…such as the news I just heard about Wilmington, NC having their earliest recorded snowfall in history.
Just comfirmed the latest GFS 00z-12z and 06z-18z snowfall outlooks, and they have been continually hinting at a snowstorm, but just today, they have forecasted a major storm, with around 10 to as much as 20 inches of the white stuff here in the Steamboat area, followed by that arctic outbreak that has been threatened throughout the week, looking forward to it myself.

1. tornadoes2 says:

sapporo we have a severe weather potential on sunday in the great lakes possible tornadoes and damaging winds.

2. fhutchens18 says:

Interesting enough, a major pattern change is taking place so the pattern is adjusting because of the teleconnections in the atmosphere and oceans. The modeling that came in this morning has the GFS AND Canadian models hinting at a storm taking shape along the southeast coast and riding up the Eastern seaboard.  Even the European is agreeing on the pattern shape but keeps the energy further over the south.  Regardless, there will be some kind of storm right in time for Thanksgiving week.  If the NAO goes neutral, it’s hard to say where the storm will go. Indications are that its going negative along with the AO.

3. sapporo1 says:

Looks like that storm is coming to fruition, as we already have about 4 or 5 inches of new snow, with storm totals that are expected to be 8 to 16 inches by Sunday morning, wh8ch will be accompanied by west winds of 25 to 40 mph at times, and a nrw storm may take shape towards next weekend, which could be stronger than this one if it develops to it’s full potential, it will come with a strong cold snap potenially as well, and it could affect a large swath of the nation (Rockies, Plains, Midwest)

4. fatima20 says:

You mean a snowstorm fhutchens18? I’ve been observing things and ihave a gut feeling that there will be a snowstorm around thanksgiving even t=for the southeast! I hope we get some snow around thanksgiving here in virginia beach, va. If someone can check around virginia beach area with the models around thanksgiving for snow, please let me know. I might have to look at those models too! lol. 

5. fhutchens18 says:

According to the GFS snowfall forecast, much of Canada will be buried under FEET of snow by thanksgiving week.  This is great news for snow lovers in the central and Eastern U.S. And yes, the same model has a storm coming out of the Gulf of Mexico and unloading moisture in the mid-atlantic.  Whether its rain or snow remains to be seen.  Detials will become clearer 3 to 4 days before the storm hits.  Looks like Virginia beach may be a mix and end as all snow.  The mountains here in southern West Virginia will get pounded if it plays out like the models are saying.  The European is catching on ad well as the Canadian.  You can get all the models at weatherbell.com which is how I look at them.  Look at them your self. Don’t take anyone’s word for it.

6. snowlover says:

Sounds exciting!  I’m with you Sapparo1 with prayers and sorrow for the Phillippines, IL, OH, and any other states that had tornados this past week.  May God be with them all. 
    Now for the good stuff, welcome back fatima20!  You’ve been missed.  I’m also hoping that next week (Thanksgiving week) brings us lots of snow.  Just as long as everyone is safe.  Hoping Virginia will get slammed.  We need it and we’re past due. 

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »