Happy New Year everyone, more snow coming for the Rockies, Midwest, East.

Posted By: sapporo1  Posted On: Dec 31st, 2013  Filed Under: Weather

What a year it has been so far, with our snowfall so far this year now topping 123.3 inches…amazing, and what’s more, we are expected to get 6 to 12 inches of snow to ring in the new year, and a big storm that may pound us on Saturday…what a year we are having here in Steamboat.
Looks like a big storm coming for the east coast for Thursday…up to a foot or more in Connecticut, Massachusets and Rhode Island, 6 to 10 inches for New York City, also the Midwest is looking at some decent snows too, up to 6 inches in Chicago, and up through the OV.

1. amyweger says:

Yep. We are supposed to get 12″+ with this one. So far our snow totals are close to 60″! What a year indeed! And winter has only just begun. 

2. Anthonypilone01 says:

What about for the mid-atlantic?? They say we’ll get snow but not as much as the upper northeast, which makes me jealous LOL looks like we’ll be missing the bulls-eye again. We’ll still have a few inches, though. But by the next storm comes after this one, I hope to see some more snow after winter storm Hercules lol

3. TheMaineMan says:

This storm is bringing 5 to 10 inches, and we just got 6 inches on Monday.
    This is a very unusual snowstorm because it is currently below zero. This never happens here. Usually when it snows the temperature is no colder than 20 degrees… usually 25 to 35. The windchill is -35 and quite brutal.  Tomorrow night the actual temperature could hit -20, which would be our coldest night since January 2009. High is only around zero.

And now… another storm predicted for Monday, followed by another cold blast.

This is the hardiest start to winter we’ve had in quite some time.

4. sapporo1 says:

Yeah, same here in Steamboat Maineman, the cold isn’t bad at all, just mostly average highs in the 20s, with a few occasional near freezing h8ghs, with lows around 0 most of the time, but man, the snow has been crazy, we have had about 3 feet of snow in the last 2 weeks, including a foot out of the storm I mentioned before, now a new storm will dump as much as 16 to as much as potentially 18 inches of new snow by Sunday, with an arctic outbreak later this weekend, then potentially a new storm around the middle of next week…crazy, we already have between 3 and 4 feet of snow on the ground at my house, amazing if you ask me.

5. winterwarrior says:

I’m jealous here. We can’t seem to catch a break with these storms. Got maybe an inch today but really cold (-15 for the high). Less than 1/2 hour away they got about 1/2 a foot. Hopefully this next storm won’t miss my area.

6. sapporo1 says:

Loving every minute of it by the way.

7. amyweger says:

17″ here in Erie, with a high today of 12.  We are at 75″ for the season. Crazy….but awesome!

8. TheMaineMan says:

40″ so far for the season here. Technically we are on pace for a 100″ season if the trend continues. Average is 81″.

9. sapporo1 says:

About a foot of new snow here since Saturday night, and our Winter Storm Warning continues here until tomorrow morning…they are still predicting another 5 to 10 inches of it by the time the Warning is over…and if that doesn’t beat all, starting Tuesday evening, a whole new series of Pacific storms are set to drop through western Colorado from the northwest, the snow here will be ongoing from Tuesday through Friday…then in the long range, it looks like there are more opportunities for snow…what a year this is turning out to be, for all of us in the US.
    P.S. that cold wave coming for the Midwest looks absolutely brutal, bundle up you guys.

10. sapporo1 says:

Seasonal total so far for my house…135.3 inches (updated this afternoon) normal average for the entire season, about 250 inches by late April.

11. ShawnM says:

At the rate it is going Sapporo1 you may beat that average! :) I am hoping these warm ups stop happening because when it is warm it doesn’t seem like winter to me even though it is legally by the calender winter. I keep hoping for a very cold and snowy winter. I go by folklore not weather models which are made by man! We had black woolly worms which means cold and someone in Missouri said they saw white woolly worms which means heavy or deep snow.

I am hoping the forecast changes, because from this friday through next Thursday it is supposed to be in the 40′s with the high this Sunday supposedly reaching 50 degrees. That doesn’t sound like winter to me. It keep hoping for very potent snowstorms. Last winter we had two snowstorms in February which produced thundersnow for hours and we had another snowstorm in March which produced heavier thundersnow. 
    I am hoping for lots of winter snowstorms. Hoping for big storms especially in February and March. My parents would hate it they like Spring through Fall the best I am the only winter enthusiast in my family. I know winter is still technically new at this point and technically the cold temps began before winter really began in December. Hopefully if this warm up occurs it will be brief and then it will go back to being cold and snowy.
    I am actually hoping for a blizzard or two this winter. Although we only got between 2-4 inches of snow with our last winter storm a few days ago I still liked it as it’s better to have some snow than no snow at all. I just have this tendency to not be to happy when someone in the same state getting between 6-14 inches while I have 2-4. I know in due time I will have my chances at having huge snow accumulations. Whenever things like that occur while I am not as happy with the outcome I still try to be happy for those who get the high snowfall totals. I am glad it was snow this time around, because a while back before this storm in another storm we had freezing rain. I heard somewhere in the county to my west got 1 to possibly 2 inches of ice. I am guessing we probably got half an inch or an inch of ice. I am glad our power stayed on. It was interesting and cool to see the trees covered in ice, especially during the night when the street lights are shining on the trees. Even though I hate ice I thought it looked cool on the trees. I love and will always love snow!  The last time we had around 18-20 inches of snow in one storm was the blizzard of February 1-2 2011. And that was supposedly without thundersnow.
    You could probably have a few more blizzards or powerful winter storms with heavy snow many times this winter Sapporo1. :)

12. sapporo1 says:

We actually don’t have too many blizzards around here in Steamboat, wind movement is generally very light compared with the eastern side of the Continental Divide.
    What we do get, however is persistant snows that continue for days on end, in fact, we have already had over 20 inches of snow since January 1st, and now, we are about to see yet another Christmas week set up, where we will have a persistant Northwest flow for the next 5 or 6 days, and the GFS 12z and 18z are indicating over 20 inches of snow from this event, which means that the over 3 feet of snow we have on the ground is just going to get deeper and deeper, we may even beat our average snowfall by February at this rate…this potentially setting up to be a record year with well over 300 inches.

13. TheMaineMan says:

We had some brutal cold last week that got as cold as -20 F, with highs barely reaching 0. However, things have really warmed up this weekend… upper 40s and rain. Lots of melting going on, but there’s a lot of dense snowpack left. Looks like the 40s stay until Wednesday before things become more seasonable.
    And wow do the 40′s feel warm after those subzero temps!

14. sapporo1 says:

Sounds relieving, but dangerous too Maineman as I have heard about the ice jams and flooding along coastal areas…we may be dealing with some flooding ourselves, once this storm is over, we will have had 4 + feet of snow fall in 5 days…insan if you ask me…high pressure moves in next week, which would normally not be a big deal, but this high could be a warm one…highs will get near 40, so there will be alot of melting…and potential street flooding, so I’m right there with you in regards to going from one extreme to the other.

15. ShawnM says:

It’s in the 50s and 60s right now! I want winter to come back and stay until early spring time! Winter is supposed to be cold and snowy, not warm and rainy or warm and dry. Save the warmth for spring through fall!

16. tornadoes2 says:

I want spring to come early this year in the great lakes

You must be signed in to join the discussion. Sign in »