Farmers Almanac Weather

Waning Gibbous

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities

5 Worst Winter Weather Cities

The idea of perfect weather is as crazy as the idea of a perfect world or a perfect anything. One person’s ideal weather is another’s worst day. The funny thing about weather is that some people enjoy what most of us consider the worst weather—snowstorms, tornadoes, hurricanes—we’ve had people ask us where to move to for the best place to see tornadoes, believe it or not.   To help us answer the question of ìperfectî weather, we polled our Facebook fans. The consensus seemed to be for clear blue skies, low humidity, temperatures around 75°F, and a light wind. Yet others said snow and lots of it. So instead of picking perfect weather we’re picking far-from-perfect or “worst” weather.

In the 2002 Farmers’ Almanac, we decided to offer our picks for the 10 best and ten worst weather cities. The response was amazing. Many agreed, some disagreed, and others suggested cities we should have included on the list. To compile this list, we looked at temperatures, sky conditions, precipitation, humidity, and wind. This year we’re doing it again, but with a twist—we are looking at which cities have the worst winter weather and which have the worst summer weather.

The following list took a number of meteorological factors into consideration, as well as the population size of the cities. We set a limit of a population of at least 50,000 people. Interestingly, from our original “10 Worst” list of 2002, two cities, Syracuse and New Orleans, made it onto our Worst Weather lists this year. Here are our listings for the ten cities, five each with the worst winter and worst summer weather in the United States.

Worst Winter cities

1. SYRACUSE, NEW YORK “Cold,” “clammy,” “snowy” are three great ways to describe Syracuse weather—from October through April. Winter starts very early and lasts late, with plenty of snow and extremely cold temperatures. Winter daytime temperatures average in the lower 30s, with nighttime lows in the teens, but temperatures as low as minus 25°F have been recorded. Snow also makes winter uncomfortable in Syracuse, averaging almost 120 inches per season. During the winter of 2009–2010, Syracuse was again the winner of the prestigious “Golden Snowball Award,” celebrating the city with most snowfall for the winter in upstate New York, beating out such snowy cities as Buffalo, Rochester, Albany, and Binghamton. Syracuse also made our Farmers’ Almanac “10 Worst” list in 2002. Another reason why this city makes the worst winter weather list — December, January, and February are typically gloomy, with Syracuse receiving only onethird of the sunshine possible, because of considerable cloud cover.

2. DULUTH, MINNESOTA “Frigid” is how many describe Duluth. During the winter, it’s second only to International Falls (“The Icebox of the Nation”) in terms of rank among the nation’s coldest cities. The transition to bitter winter weather is dramatic. In October, the average high temperature is a comfortable 53°F. But by December, it has fallen to 22°F, and by January (the coldest month), it’s only 16°F. An example of how extreme the cold can get here is “The Great Cold Snap of 1996” (January 29 through February 5). During that time, Duluth recorded 164 consecutive hours of below zero (°F) temperatures. On February 2, the low temperature was minus 39°F and the high temperature was minus 21°F. Duluth receives nearly 80 inches of snow, much of it as a result of cold easterly winds flowing over the western tip of Lake Superior, producing local lake-effect snowfalls. But it’s the frigid cold that gets Duluth a spot on our Top 5 list.

3. CASPER, WYOMING Snow is common in this town and has occurred as early as September and as late as early June. The average daily winter temperature is 22°F, and on average, 181 days of the year have temperatures at or below 32°F. Casper is among the top five most windiest spots in the nation. The prevailing winter wind blows from the southwest, with the emphasis on “blows.” Some wind gusts have been clocked at over 60 m.p.h. The wind has knocked tractor-trailers off interstates. As one native put it: “In the winter we have snow followed by wind, wind followed by snow, and wind and snow together. In some places the snow never hits the ground but gets worn out by the wind.” And the late Jean Shepherd wrote: “Let me tell you, you’ve never been in a blizzard until you’ve been in a real Wyoming screamer. The snow was coming down so fast and hard that I felt I was driving through a white tunnel. It got colder and colder, and my windshield was freezing up faster than the defrosters could blow it off.

4. CLEVELAND, OHIO The earmarks of Cleveland winters are cold and snow. Typically, there are an average of five days with subzero temperatures. Mean annual snowfall increases, from west to east in Cuyahoga County, from 45 to 90 inches. Winds generally blow across Lake Erie from the west and cause localized snow squalls in the city’s eastern suburbs.

5. DETROIT, MICHIGAN The hardest thing to adjust to in a Motor City winter is not so much the cold or wintry precipitation, it is the lack of sunshine. Winter days in Detroit mean an abundance of cloudy, gloomy days. The sky seems to be perpetually gray. During the winter season, two out of every three days are overcast. Clear, sunny days occur, on average, just 13 percent of the time.

Check out what cities made our Worst Summer Cities

Do you have a worst winter weather city that should make the list? Tell us about it.

1 tyomies { 04.16.14 at 10:19 am }

Here’s a scary story. In the 1991 Duluth was in the Halloween Megastorm where we had a 36.9 Minnesota record one time snow fall over a few days. A friend, my girlfriend and her dog, and I jumped in my 3/4 ton Ford and started off to visit my sister about 20 miles north on the highway. We stopped for fuel and I made the mistake of taking a strip of frontage road to get back on the highway and got buried. I told the two to stay in the truck and that I would walk the 3/4 mile or so remaining to my sisters to get a ride. The snow was coming down so hard I could not see the dirt road off the highway that my sister lived on, or barely make out the highway, but I knew I must have been close. At that point an SUV stopped with my girlfriend, friend and the dog. My friend and the dog jumped out, but the truck started taking off with my girlfriend and luckily I was able to grab her arm and pull her out as the truck sped away. We then realized we were right at the road my sister lived on and started the 1/4 mile or so walk to her house. It was getting dark and after several minutes we heard a snowmobile coming towards us fast from ahead. I. We were to the right shoulder but the dog was wandering. My girlfriend went to grab the dog and I again grabbed her and pulled her back and the snowmobile ran right over the dog who was about 9 years old. I picked up the poor limp thing and we walked the rest of the way through about 26″ of snow. Finally at my sister’s, we laid the dog down where it stayed motionless for many hours. The next day however, it stood up wobbling and eventually made a full recovery. We were snowed for 2 or three days. I learned it’s much better to stay home in a megastorm.

2 tyomies { 04.16.14 at 8:44 am }

I’m on the hill in Duluth, at the tip of Lake Superior. The neighbor across the street had about 4-1/2 feet of dense compacted snow on her somewhat shallow pitched roof. I saw she had one fellow take a good swing at shoveling it off, he gave up, then another…and another. I’m in town and have a Case skid steer, lots of snow this year too, and another 6-11″ coming today, still in the +20′s, April 16.

3 MaryAnn { 03.18.14 at 8:12 pm }

Moved from central FL back to Baldwinsville (Syracuse) three times finally realizing that this is where my husband and I want to live and raise our kids. There is no perfect place but as crazy as it may seem to some, we’ll take Syracuse over Orlando any day of the week. There are a lot of great things to experience in Central NY.

4 MaryAnn { 03.18.14 at 8:09 pm }

Originally from Long Island, moved to FL. Met my husband in FL where we moved our family back and fourth three times from central FL (Orlando) to Syracuse. Took us a few times to know for sure but we realized Syracuse (Baldwinsville), is where we want to be raising our kids. Yea the winters are long and hard but is there any perfect place? NO. I’ll take Syracuse over Central Fl any day of the week.

5 Tyler { 03.01.14 at 10:04 pm }

I live in !Milwaukee these days, and I have to say that I am rather disappointed with the winter here. Sure it is cold and snowy(ish), but it never snows more than 5-6″ at a time so far. I used to live in Casper, WY and it used to really drop around there. I know that this article is little more than a peeing contest about who has it worse, but I can tell you than Wisconsin is not very bad at all. I am starting to miss the 10″ days, when the world gets all soft and quiet when the snow plows hang it up for the night. I used to love driving around in the deep snow late at night after everyone else had gone to bed. Everyone here is complaining about the snow today, and it stopped at 4.5″. I have just come to the conclusion that the Germans and Vikings that settled here were the complainers of the bunch, and their ancestors simply kicked them out of their old countries.

6 Dennis { 02.18.14 at 4:51 pm }

I live across the bay from Duluth in Superior, Wi. You cannot appreciate seeing a man with facial hair who has been working outside in the winter. Is it moisture or something else frozen under his nose. Shovel the sidewalk today and again in two days and again and again. Where are all of the kids that used to want to shovel your sidewalk for a few dollars. When the wife retires, Arizona here we come.

7 SteveCNY { 02.12.14 at 9:30 pm }

From what data there is on snowfall I can find, there’s three spots that stick out a lot: the western face of the Rainer mountain range in WA state (which looks to be really steep and not a place you can park a car), a relatively small spot on the western slopes of Mount Washington in NH (sort of the same situation), and even smaller spot about 40 miles northeast of Syracuse, NY on the Tug Hill Plateau (where some people actually live). I live about 25 miles north of Syracuse and I count on a “driving experience” every day I go to work in the winter. It seems that you tend to get better at it each year.

8 Jo Ellen { 01.29.14 at 1:17 pm }

Thom from Duluth! You are absolutely right! But I’m not above leaving once a month in the winter. hahahaha.

9 CBatemanWyatt { 01.19.14 at 2:03 pm }

Oswego should definitely be número uno! ;-) We live in GA now due to work transfer, although I do miss the beauty of the snow falling. I love not having to shovel heavy snow, scraping ice off our windshields and bundling up with all those hats and coats for months! But it will always be home!

10 JerryL. { 12.27.13 at 6:39 am }

Lake Ontario controls the snow fall in upstate NY. The wind blows from the northwest to the south east 90 % of the winter. If you look at a map you will see that this directional path runs the length of Lake Ontario! On the eastern shore of Lake Ontario the Salmon river enters the lake at this point. Lake affect snow is incredible! It can drop five 6 feet of snow in a 24 hour period! And it has the ability to do this on a daily schedule! Thank God that it does not! ANyone that has never experienced a full snow winter season living in the snow belt of lake Ontario just cannot understand on how this constant dily snowfall can beat you down! Most winters the snow fall is not bad and the winters are ok, for the years that are above average the snow fall of 150, 175 , 200 inches of seasonable snowfall will wear you out! It will crush your spirit! I was born there and spent the first 40+ years of my life living in and around Pulaski NY and I grew to hate the snow! I left there in 1998 and I do not miss it a bit! I have many great friends living there along with my family! I visit them in the summer! I have experienced the cold of winter in the north west plains above the Dakotas and it is real cold there! There isn’t a lot of snow accumaltion as the constant wind keeps blowing it away! I just have grown to dislike the cold! For all of you that likes it, Go ahead and enjoy it! The snow belt of upstate NY is the worst place to spend winters period! So debate away!

11 Corey { 12.21.13 at 11:11 pm }

most of you didnt read the article i see….people from oswego ny complaining about not being on the list or tug hill not being on the list….this is only for cities with a population over 50,000!! if they did every city in the US then no syracuse wouldnt even be on the list!! probably somewhere on tug hill would take the number 1 spot….im from phoenix NY and we get more snow than syracuse also….but with a very small population we cant be included either. Syracuse is just the city representing upstate new yorkers!! just as im sure there is windier cities than casper or colder cities than duluth but once again this survey is only for cities with a population over 50,000….using every city in the country would just be impossible…or at least take a ton of research!! lol and if alaska was used then this survey would only list cites in alaska!!! thats the coldest windiest snowiest place on earth!!

12 ran { 12.19.13 at 12:13 am }

I’m from Baldwinsville NY coach hockey and we play the snowbelt so I’m always playing our kids in Oswego, Clayton, Salmon River, Thousand Islands, Plattsburg, Clinton, Rome, etc, etc. It’s all the same to me Central NY East, West, and North of the Thruway. It is all snow and cold. Directly East of Lake Ontario usually gets the Brunt of the snowfall. Some years the wind blows NW to SE and then Syracuse does get more than the cities north of it. But it is mostly the eastern end of Ontario that gets the worst of it. And I’m driving in it every weekend, and love it. besides my 4 car driveway becomes a six car driveway after I get done shoveling.

13 Eileen Popp { 12.18.13 at 4:58 pm }

I am proud to be a Syracusan since birth . I would rather be here- than Hawaii, no offense. Nothing like skiing at Song Mountain, listening to Irish music at Colemans on a cold blustery night- or ice skating at Clinton Square, or taking a sleigh ride at Hyland forest- Go Cuse!!!

14 Harold Mundstock { 12.18.13 at 2:02 am }

As a true northern new yorker[BARNES CORNERS], Syracuse is a breeze compared to 300 inches plus We averaged when kids-50-60′s plus 54 below.Had snow on my b-day-july 2,1963. My brother already has 6 ft of snow this year and winter hasn’t set in yet. OFFICIALLY!

15 Jimmie { 12.17.13 at 10:03 pm }

Living in Buffalo NY. We are losing our image to other cities
No more images of the imfamous blizzard of 1977
Still cold. Snow belts south of me
But to Duluth Syracuse and Motown we are now following their white path to oblivion

16 Jaime McLeod { 12.17.13 at 3:01 pm }

All of the people asking about Alaska, the reason there are no cities from Alaska on this list or our Five Coldest Cities list is because the Farmers’ Almanac does not cover Alaska or Hawaii. All of these lists are for the continental U.S. If we included Alaska then Alaska would dominate all of both lists.

17 Brianfromsyr { 12.17.13 at 12:32 pm }

I live in a Syracuse suburb. For our population our weather is pretty harsh. We don’t have the cold of the Midwest though. I had to work outside in Monticello, Mn. with the temperature at -40° . Our diesel engine stopped working because the fuel gelled and clogged the filters. That was on a hydro laser that had trickling water freezing solid as it ran. That was far worse than the 36″ snow storms upstate N.Y. has on occasion.

18 CUSEBASKETBALL { 12.17.13 at 4:00 am }

I will take Syracuse winter and the AWESOME 4 seasons over stupid southern accents,bad schools,bugs,heat,humidity,tornados,hurricanes,floods,mudslides,droughts,forrest fires,lack of fresh water and HEAT any day.Gotta be hard nosed to live in these parts.Good riddens to the sissies that moved that couldn’t hack it.

19 CUSEBASKETBALL { 12.17.13 at 3:53 am }

So glad the nancy’s left Syracuse because they can’t hack it.Just weeding out the soft and weak.The people that fled the GREAT city of Syracuse will not be missed.I was born here and i will die here.No place i rather be.Jim Boeheim once was asked where he would love to retire to.He said Syracuse.Said Hawaii is Syracuse in the summer.LETS GO SYRACUSE BASKETBALL!!!PS:I. am proud we are number 1.

20 Clarkson Student { 12.16.13 at 7:46 am }

I drive from Potsdam through Syracuse and south almost monthly. The north country is freezing I’ll give you that but the winter storms are always worst around Syracuse. It was so bad you couldn’t see the obnoxious lights on the plows unless you were 10ft from them

21 written { 12.15.13 at 6:48 pm }

I just left casper Wyoming about 5 months ago to Fort Collins Colorado. lived in Casper my whole life 20+ yrs.the wind and windchill there is more than you can even understand it cuts threw u like a knife

22 bob { 12.15.13 at 6:09 pm }

Syracuse? Lol…must have been a writer from there…

23 Cindy { 12.15.13 at 1:05 pm }

To anyone who says where they live in Upstate New York is worse than Syracuse, you’re probably right! I live in Syracuse (yay… number one…) and I know that north of the NYS Thruway is far snowier; from my understanding, the Thruway acts as a “natural” barrier due to all of the heat it gives off. Regardless of the weather other New York communities may experience, these lists are usually comprised of cities with 100,000 or more residents. Oswego has 18,000; Fulton has not quite 12,000; and, if you want to talk about bad weather, Saranac Lake has only 5,000 residents. Syracuse, on the other hand, is home to 145,000, which is why Syracuse represents the Upstate New York as the city with the worst weather.

24 Jim { 12.15.13 at 11:18 am }

I grew up in Syracuse. Spent a lot of time in Casper and lived in Williston, ND for a few years. Simply no place colder than NoDak or winder than Wyoming. I mean ridiculous windy. People have no idea how relentless it is. But Syracuse has the snow and lots of it. What Wyoming and North Dakota residents may not realize is how much worse it is when the humidity is as high as it is. Bottom line is we’re splitting hairs IMHO. I wouldn’t want to live in any of these places because the weather really is harsh. The responses that “we live here because it’s beautiful” seem a tad defensive because if it’s beauty you’re after there is so much beauty in this fine country, you simply need to get in the car and head out on a road trip. I live in Denver and as far as the weather goes I don’t think there is a better place anywhere. My caveat is I need to have 4 real seasons. Certainly eliminates the south as well as most of California.

25 Tom Vono { 12.15.13 at 10:09 am }

Syracuse only gets the recognition as it is the only city in upstate that is most recognizable to the rest of the States, why SU Sports. I moved from Upstate 7 years ago due to weather and work conditions, but trust me when I say that as a past resident of Fulton NY, Syracuse has nothing on many other cities within the Upstate area, Fulton, Oswego, Watertown, Pulaski, Minetto, Phoenix, and many more. But thanks anyway Syracuse for giving Upstate the recognition it deserves.

26 joshski { 12.15.13 at 5:04 am }

40 miles north of Syracuse we average 250 inches of snow a year

27 chelsey { 12.15.13 at 2:57 am }

Um has nobody been to Minot ND? LOL we haven’t been in the positives for quite some time now and last snow season (November-May) we had like 63″ of snowfall. -40 isn’t good enough to make the top 5? Haha

28 c walt { 12.15.13 at 12:30 am }

People, catch a grip. If you live in a 50 mile radius of syracuse, you are getting ponded with snow. Oswego, baldwinsville, your getting it. Better yet, you live in Ny get the f over it! Its not a competition, this happens every year. Stop whining.

29 heather { 12.15.13 at 12:28 am }

@Jaie johnson… sounds like you’re the whiner here… let’s make this a contest for who has the shittiest weather. -_- Syracuse is terrible, but some places are worse than others at times. Overall… Syracuse is clearly the top choice when it comes to bad weather.

30 Ashley { 12.14.13 at 9:54 pm }

I live outside Toronto Ontario
Canada. It has been snowing since last night and there us no end in sight.

31 Amber { 12.14.13 at 9:27 pm }

I live just outside of Watertown, NY and we got a few feet of snow last night, which is average for us. Way more snow and gloom than Syracuse ever gets!

32 john { 12.14.13 at 9:14 pm }

Nashville, Tn. Not bitter cold, not much snow, but 33 degree temperature and rain downpour means misery. About every 2-3 days at a time.

33 Marty { 12.14.13 at 8:13 pm }

Syracuse is snowy but no one seems to mind it, s u basketball takes care of passing the time …Oswego is nice but the wind off the lake makes you shutter… I also lived in Watertown and it was as I recall really cold less snow but freaking cold…. People are nice upstate and seasons change in a flash…. Summers were humid and little sunshine…. I moved to Long Island 40 years ago during the winter and thought I moved to Florida if it snows 2 inches here it’s a calamity almost like when I lived in Georgia ….

34 plainswarrior { 12.14.13 at 6:32 pm }

Casper is not the snowiest city in Wyoming.. Try LANDER WY….
ABOUT 100 IN A YEAR AVG. RIGHT AT THE FOOT OF
THE ROCKIES !!!

35 Christyn Vincent { 12.14.13 at 4:23 pm }

Do you guys ever consider Alaska in these things? If you’re going to consider Detroit because its lack of daylight, you need to reconsider. Up here in Fairbanks, we have about 4 hours of non-darkness, right now. Plus, we get down to -50 sometimes -60. ;)

36 Brittany { 12.14.13 at 2:06 pm }

I grew up around fargo north dakota and am now living in Bismarck. You wanna talk about cold? Just a couple days ago we had negative 20s with 50 below wind chill. We get a ton of snow. It may not b as much as some places but the wind here is horrible. I love it here though. Its beautiful and the people r very friendly. I have met so many people from other places with crazy winters but even they say up here with the wind chill it is the worst and coldest they have expirienced. If you arent ready for it its a shocker. One downer is our springs which have been filled with floods from the melting snow. I still will never leave though.

37 Thom { 12.14.13 at 1:55 pm }

Minnesota is the most bewitchingly beautiful state in the United States. Winter in Duluth is an absolute joy, and if you have never experienced it, you really haven’t lived.

38 Dave { 12.14.13 at 12:48 pm }

I moved south and would not go back. Its the grey and gloom that gets me not the snow and cold. put a sun belt over syracuse and I would come back.

39 Jaie Johnson { 12.14.13 at 10:41 am }

Sorry, but Oswego, about 45 minutes NORTH of Syracuse is also a city, and gets far worse than Syracuse, they’re just bigger whiners. Watertown NY, also a city, gets far worse than Syracuse. Try again.

40 Dina { 12.14.13 at 10:41 am }

CNY and NNY def deserve that recognition…. (When you walk through the freshly fallen show and have to hold your arms up because the snow is up to your chest and you are 5′ 10″) Yup, that’s Winter here in CNY!! That’s the definition of “snowbelt”!!

41 Mike Males { 12.14.13 at 10:38 am }

I grew up in Syracuse and moved to the great state of Texas in 1979. No regrets. Great weather, pro-business, no income taxes warm weather, liberals are in the minority not the majority, attractive women. God Bless Texas! NY sucks!

42 Amanda { 12.14.13 at 9:52 am }

Syracuse, NY weather describes ALL of upstate NY!!!! Tug Hill NY is MUCH WORSE than Syracuse! They just got 5 ft dumped on them!

43 Dawn Johnson { 12.14.13 at 8:38 am }

Duluth….I love it here and will never leave. Yeah it gets cold, but you learn to adapt.

44 T.Cahill { 12.14.13 at 12:46 am }

I understand the population rule for 50,000+, problem is Syracuse get’s all the fame of being the snowiest city in New York and it’s a joke. Born and raised in Oswego, New York population 18,500 – 42 miles north of Syracuse, and we easily get 150 + inches of snow each winter. On occasion we’ve topped 200+ inches of snow. We get record breaking snow storms thanks to lake effect. Syracuse doesn’t. I worked for 3 years as a bus driver in the city of Syracuse and the drive to work from Oswego was hell, up until you reach Clay, then it’s sunny skies and little to no snow. If you wanna see a real snow storm, visit Oswego in January.

45 Michele O { 12.14.13 at 12:45 am }

I live in Oswego NY and yes we get a ton of snow but there is nothing more mesmerizing than fluffy lake effect snow flakes. It’s like living in a snow globe. If you love it you stay and if you hate it you leave. It’s not for everyone but it’s definitely for me. There is nothing better than a homemade ice rink or going sledding with a bonfire to keep you warm. Hot chocolate wouldn’t go well on the beach. Nope, I’ll stay right here!

46 tv { 12.14.13 at 12:26 am }

Syracuse sucks all the way around !!!

47 bill { 12.14.13 at 12:01 am }

North of Syracuse like Tug Hill, Redfield aka the snow belt gets more than us. So why don’t these cities get the recognition they deserve. We get about the 117-120 per winter on average but these cities get more

48 lala { 12.13.13 at 11:59 pm }

I’ll tell ya what. I was born in raised in Syracuse..when I was 20 I moved to central Florida. I think the 4 seasons beats out the one green season of Florida. No hurricanes, bugs, or the most uncomfortable humidty. Palm trees are nice. But there is NOTHiING as beautiful as the fall foliage and the fresh air. Upstate new York is absoloutely beautiful. And as for the snow part, I never remember winters being that long. It comes and it melts. Not to mention everything in the spring time. God why don’t I just move back already ha ha

49 Shawn { 12.13.13 at 10:59 pm }

I’ll take the snow any day over hurricanes, earthquakes, flooding, wildfires or tornadoes. CLEVELAND ROCKS!!!!!!!!

50 Matt G { 12.13.13 at 9:46 pm }

Sorry to say but 9 months out of the year new York is the most beautiful place to live..the other 3 months we have Syracuse basketball

51 Roxy { 12.13.13 at 9:36 pm }

I live where the yearly average is 72 with over 300 sunny days :)
The mountains live in harmony with Palm trees. Never snows but I could drive to world class skiing in under 3 hours. No snakes roaches or even Mosquitos.
Rains in winter a bit.
Lived all over before I found a heaven I never knew existed in the US.
Good luck friends <3

52 Nancy { 12.13.13 at 9:27 pm }

Did anyone from the Farmer’s Almanac actually visit Syracuse. Winter does not last from October until April. Most of the snow hits north of the Thruway, not in Syracuse. But, we do get snow, we handle it well and it eventually melts. What we don’t get are tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and forest fires.

53 DulHtr { 12.13.13 at 8:46 pm }

I have lived in Duluth for 5 years now, and it’s hands down, by far the best place i’ve ever lived! The winters can be brutal, but you just have to know how to dress for them and drive in them. One thing I love about it is the abundance of natural beauty, living so close to the water, and having so many outdoor activities to do, year round. I even love the hills, it’s gives the town character, and has some of the most beautiful sunrises and sunsets i’ve seen. The unemployment rate is currently less than the state and national average, and our mayor is just another joe-schmo when you see him out and about. LOVE THIS CITY!

54 Little Joe { 12.13.13 at 8:28 pm }

Syracuse is a really nice place to be from.

55 Wyoming Lady { 12.13.13 at 8:22 pm }

Smiling… In Wyoming only Cheyenne & Casper have a population of over 50,000. The cold & the snow depth is not as much as many places in Wyoming. The frequent wind is a big factor as then there are more ground blizzards. When WYDOT advises no light truck trailers & high profile vehicles there is a good reason because they are prone to blowing over & it happens often. Big Wonderful Wyoming is God’s Country & a great state. Please don’t move here but visit often!

56 Sheila Goodfellow Vester { 12.13.13 at 8:16 pm }

Yeah for Syracuse! Number 1 in everything!

57 sharon johnson { 12.13.13 at 7:52 pm }

live in east syracuse ,ny .went to florida with husband ,when he died came back to enjoy the snow ,no hurricanes no air conditioning all year long, no bugs that bite you like red ants do ,freindly people, when i get real old i will have a choice of living here or going back to fl where other son lives in my right mind i pick syracuse every time

58 Debbie { 12.13.13 at 7:40 pm }

I was born and raised in Syracuse, N,Y.and as a child I loved the winter and the snow. It was during the blizzard of 1993 that I realized I didn’t have to live like this any more. I have since moved south and love the heat and sunshine

59 cyndie { 12.13.13 at 7:38 pm }

I lived in Casper for years. While yes the wind is HORRENDOUS– adding to the intensity of snow and cold, Casper has everything in it’s soul, people, and beauty to make up for it! Beautiful, historic, friendly, up and coming–you can ski closebym or go enjoy music and arts through the college. Here’s to Casper Wyoming!!

60 Rhonda { 12.13.13 at 7:32 pm }

I lived in Casper for 5 years and agree the winters are terrible. The wind blows ALL the time. However, I love the summer months! Best summers of anywhere I have ever lived, and it was almost worth having to put up with the winters.

61 cmc { 12.13.13 at 7:31 pm }

I will take snowy winters over tornadoes, and earthquakes any day. At least I know my home will still be there when I get home. I’ll have to shovel, but, it will still be standing.

62 Megan { 12.13.13 at 7:23 pm }

Cortland NY. It’s redic here.

63 syr ny chad { 12.13.13 at 7:13 pm }

P.S did i mention lake affect dumped over 6 feet of snow in my yard in 4 days a few years back lol

64 syr ny chad { 12.13.13 at 7:05 pm }

I have lived in and around Syracuse NY all my life . Right now i live about 30 min north of syr in Fulton NY. Syracuse gets 120 inches of snow but up this way it is more like 150 to 200 inches. all things considered, i hate winter !!! i move snow from October to the end of April, but i must admit the summers here are beautiful. The northeaster snow storms are cake compared to the lake affect snow. lake affect snow is relentless, we even get lake affect rain at times threw the year. Ontario and lake Erie hammer us constantly. there is definitely a lot of fun in the snow here. unfortunately i rather look at it than play in it now. im getting older it hurts my bones. Well gotta go shovel and snow blow . take care.

65 Ron j { 12.13.13 at 6:34 pm }

Come on people Casper is not nearly as bad other places in Wyoming or a lot of areas around the country. Have lived here most of my life. Yes it blows but the sky is blue most of the time and we only get 12 to 14 inches of moisture per year.

66 Gianine { 12.13.13 at 6:00 pm }

Moved from Syracuse 3 months ago to Maryland for husbands job. I’d go back to Syracuse in a heartbeat!

67 jp { 12.13.13 at 5:56 pm }

Who ever said casper should be #1 has not lived in syracuse, ny. It’s gloomy, cold (5 degrees.tonight) and windy. Granted not windy like I hear casper is, but it makes up with snow. Lots and lots of snow. Icky, slippery, cold snow. I’d rather deal with wind!

68 Finky { 12.13.13 at 5:49 pm }

looks like it took 3 years for this story to make it to Syracuse. Who says CNY is behind the times.

69 NetJD { 12.13.13 at 5:47 pm }

I live near Syracuse, and if you don’t like snow you will be miserable here. But the changing seasons keep me here. I know I appreciate the summer months with longer days where I can actually go outside, as opposed to some of my southern family members who stay indoors when the days are long…. but, my comment is to Tom Brady , comment#15: Being next to the lake would make you warmer, not colder. That is why there is lake effect there and east of Lake Ontario as the wind blows. But you are right, you do tend to get more snow in Oswego and through the snow belt, but none of those towns exceed 50,000 people , and is why Syracuse receives the #1 spot in this article.

70 STaylor { 12.13.13 at 5:43 pm }

I think the rest of the country looks at Syracuse as an area rather than the actual city. So I would take in consideration the upstate areas near and around Syracuse as being part of the survey. It is definitely agreed that the areas north of Syracuse are definitely worse in the winter.

71 Susan M. { 12.13.13 at 5:20 pm }

It’s snowing as I write this. I live in Syracuse. I don’t mind if we’re #1 in basketball, but I hate snow. After this school year, I’m heading south in search of sun and warmth. I never want to bundle up again nor do I want to shovel. I’m am already looking into places to work in Florida. My mother says every place has it’s weather problems, but I’ll take too much heat over too much snow anyway.

72 Celt { 12.13.13 at 4:59 pm }

A balmy 15 degrees my windows down the crisp fresh air filling my lungs as I drive home from work, Yes you can never feel any more alive, I love Syracuse. And remember Zombies cant move in freezing temperatures.

73 Linda osborne { 12.13.13 at 4:54 pm }

Gotta love being number 1

74 Sam P { 12.13.13 at 4:49 pm }

I moved to Oswego in 71 in Feb. The first 3 days it snowed 88 inches. They asked ‘How can you live in Ca with earthquakes?’ I reached for the sky and asked them ‘How can you live in snow 7 feet deep?’ When given the opportunity, I moved back to CA and said never again will I live where snow accumulates. 40 years later. I now live in the mountains near Yosemite.And yes we get snow. Go figure. Love where you live and live where yiu love!

75 Georgie Girl { 12.13.13 at 4:44 pm }

I LOVE Duluth, but as one of the commenters above said, it’s really the hill that kills you. Cold temps and lake effect snow aside, even the typical thaw and freeze of winter is scary when you are going down a hill that makes a Black Diamond at a ski resort look easy. Especially when you are trying to drive up it in a car. Sliding back down in reverse is even scarier when you hit the brakes and your car just keeps on sliding. I actually lived on the hill with the largest grade in Duluth for a year. Every morning we would pray that there wasn’t someone at the intersection at the bottom of the hill just in case we slid through, which we did a lot. Here’s an article about some of the worst hills in Duluth. http://attic.areavoices.com/2012/04/09/the-steepest-streets-in-duluth/

76 Maci { 12.13.13 at 4:31 pm }

Myself and my whole family has been born and raised in north Osceola New York talk about snow take a drive up there and u will see some snow I have seen many times with snow up to the telephone wires no lie talk about snow storms cold frigged days and nights if U have never been up to north Osceola ny then u have never seen anything like it before take a drive up there if u really want to see what winter is all about

77 r coufal { 12.13.13 at 4:24 pm }

Lived there for Many years go cuse but always loved hot weather loved it growing up but had to mover to a hotter climate and wow I did sc

78 JCBT { 12.13.13 at 4:21 pm }

To Michelle & comment #9. Go ahead & please leave. Duluth is one of the best cities in the nation. The quality of life here is second to none. Taxes? Yawn, there are far worse places to live tax-wise. City streets? Get over it, what do you expect from a city on the side of hill where most streets have to be built on bed rock? How can city government be a failure while the Mayor has an 87% approval rating?

With the parks & trails, quality of life, safe drinking water, safe neighborhoods, happy & friendly neighbors, good schools, top rate hospitals, and some of the cleanest air in the world you cannot beat this town – so what if its a little chilly at times, the only way you can hate this town is if you hate the outdoors – in which case you should have left a long time ago.

79 SUOrangeBuffaloBills { 12.13.13 at 3:13 pm }

Syracuse, New York has the SU Orange basketball team to watch all winter long.

GO SU ORANGE!
GO BUFFALO BILLS!

80 Debbie Clemeno { 12.13.13 at 2:55 pm }

I see some of you didn’t read the article very well. It says with a population of OVER 50,000. We (Syracuse) are over 50,000 and we are well aware of the snowfall accumulations of our neighbors north of us (Tug hill and Oswego) however, they are very small compared to us.

81 stacey Fitzgerald { 12.13.13 at 2:28 pm }

Living in Syracuse all my life, this comes as no suprise..It is pretty the first few times it snows that it just get boring..

82 steves { 12.13.13 at 1:19 pm }

I’ve moved a lot. Born and raised in Syracuse (Go Orange!), then Boston, New York, Philly, Denver, and now Santa Cruz, CA. Syracuse was a great place to grow up, at least in part because I didn’t know any better. If you like a winter with lots of sun but also a lot of snow, Denver is the place. On the other hand, now I wake up to “another day in paradise” every day. No snow ever, mild temperature, some fog, and yes, the occasional earthquake. But it’s worth it,

83 Shelley { 12.13.13 at 12:58 pm }

Have lived all my life in Syracuse and the weather is worse than ever even the summers are mostly cloudy. I agree is many grumpy people here asap my fsmily will be heading south and never looking back!!!!! Travelling has helped make iv bearable but enough is enough!

84 Rachel M Noble { 12.13.13 at 12:42 pm }

Born & raised in Cuse, went to college there… And then promptly moved out to Los Angeles. I have to say, I’d much rather have three occasional 30-second earthquake than months and months of snow and cold, and mudslides aren’t a problem unless you live in Malibu or the hills (ie, Bel Air), which you have to be very rich to do. And the only fires that threaten property inside the city can only happen in the hills, too. (seriously, rich people. I will never understand why they have the money to live anywhere but decide to go live in the most disaster prone locations in the county) That said, the driving conditions in LA in the witter can get pretty tough because despite the fact that we get several months of rain a year, the locals completely forget how to drive in it after only a couple weeks of nice weather. And upstate NY has all those little, cheap ski resorts – a single day lift ticket to big bear or mammoth costs as much as an entire season pass to one of those places!

85 Tom Brady { 12.13.13 at 12:27 pm }

It’s funny that Syracuse takes the first. Syracuse isn’t bad. Oswego New York is worse, but Syracuse steals it because they are bigger than Oswego. Oswego gets more snow and the temperatures are muh colder because they are right on the lake. Syracuse is just a big bully an steals it from Oswego!!!!!!

86 PHIL { 12.13.13 at 11:54 am }

cant touch syracuse we get on avg 120in oswego blows us out of the water but they dont fit the description need to have atleast 100k population

87 michelle { 12.13.13 at 11:49 am }

I live in Duluth. …. it is AWFUL. born and raised here still doesn’t make it easy or tolerable. Taxes are horrid, roads are not maintained and city government is a failure. I stay for my daughter or I would be gone! Seasons change and are beautiful no matter where you live.

88 Teri { 12.13.13 at 11:42 am }

for those who think Oswego is worse the Syr, the poll was taken for Worst Winter Weather…NOT most snow fall or what not. Syr can go weeks in gray and no sun. Oswego actually only goes days. (if I remember right) would I ‘want’ to go to SUNY-O?…I think NOT. i spent some time playing there w friends in college, worst asthma attack I had was walking from the dorms back to parking lot, in a lake affect blizzard…FOR MY INHALER!

89 Dave { 12.13.13 at 11:20 am }

Moved away moved back in ’06 and now I moved again to a warmer area. Its not the cold and snow it’s the grey and glom that will get you. My good friend is a pharmacist, and told me cny has the highest level of people on anti depressant medications. Go figure !! Get out while you can

90 Jeri { 12.13.13 at 11:18 am }

Actually the Tug Hill area is NY gets it the worst in the winter. They get snow first and they get a ton of it. Although Fulton and Oswego get it really bad. Syracuse doesn’t get it nearly as bad as these other areas. Just something to consider.

91 Lisa { 12.13.13 at 11:14 am }

Born and raised in Duluth MN. Winters here always beautiful. They are also very dangerous with the windchills plummeting to 40 degrees below zero and winds that cut through your coat right to the bone. When I was a kid,(many years ago) the snowfalls measured by the foot, not inches like nowadays. They would pile up past the big picture window of the house. After shoveling off the roof, you could just step up onto the roof from the snow banks. The snow plows would leave banks 1/2 way up the telephone poles. Truly amazing “Frozen Northland” great for Ice Fishing, Ice Skating, Snowmobiling, Sledding, etc…just have fun and dress appropriately.

92 Patrick Cregan { 12.13.13 at 11:13 am }

Syracuse is a great place to live even in the winter. You get used to the snow and cold, no earthquakes tornadoes or mudslides. The driving is good if you take your time and not speed. Syracuse is a great place to raise a family, lots of winter sports available for everyone. The spring, summer and autumn are awesome. So if you are considering a move to Syracuse do not let the winter be a concern to you or your family.

93 mike d { 12.13.13 at 11:06 am }

Oswego does not have a population over 50,000. Read the article!

94 Deb Carroll Joice { 12.13.13 at 10:56 am }

HELLO, the City of Syracuse,NY doesn’t get half as much as the city and county of Oswego,NY. Let’s put us on that list! Not that I’m bragging, I only like snow for Christmas.

95 Debbie Hall { 12.13.13 at 10:55 am }

are you kidding Alaska and Montana did even get on the list,go live in -67 then put this list together….

96 Cmruddy { 12.13.13 at 10:54 am }

Live in Syracuse, and like the winter. But for the record, it’s not colder than other places like Pittsburgh or Chicago. We’re planting zone 5A, which is the same as Des Moines, Iowa, and warmer than a ton of Midwestern cities. Our thing is just Lake Effect snow. Light fluffy stuff produced by the humidifier to the north and west, Lake Ontario. It’s much easier to shovel than the Nor’easter snows that hit the east coast, and almost always miss us. Others have traffic, earthquakes, droughts. We have snow — I’ll take it.

97 Brian { 12.13.13 at 10:54 am }

I have lived in Syracuse almost my whole life, and we look at winter differently than most. The picture at the top of the page, for instance. Here, we would just consider that a “dusting” of snow. Many cities would be paralyzed by it.

98 Deb Carroll Joice { 12.13.13 at 10:53 am }

Hello, Syracuse,NY doesn’t get it half as bad as the City and County of Oswego, NY. We need to be put on that list!

99 Maddy { 12.13.13 at 10:47 am }

Been to all of the above and live in Fairbanks, Alaska you have no idea…

100 Rich Hoeg { 12.13.13 at 10:46 am }

I live in “Number 2″, Duluth, Minnesota. The thrust of your article is ALL wrong. We love and embrace Winter in northeastern Minnesota. I’ve been Nordic skiing every day this week on beautiful snow trails that twist through snow encrusted pines. After a ski if conditions are right, I head down to the shores of Lake Superior to photograph the Northern Lights flickering out over the lake. Worst … No! Best … Absolutely Yes! If interested, you can link to my blog and see some pictures I recently took along the North Shore. http://www.northstarnerd.org/

101 Ann { 12.13.13 at 10:46 am }

Duluth winters are beautiful. Cold & snowy, yes, but beautiful. Spring is dismal, cold, windy, snowy. Summer temps are about 10 degrees cooler than Mpls. Some people like that, I don’t like the cooler summers. The Duluth area is so beautiful, that it’s an ok trade off to have cooler weather, and a bad spring. Autumn is out of this world beautiful, as is winter.

102 Sandy { 12.13.13 at 10:33 am }

Born and raised in Syracuse and the winters are precisely why I moved to Florida in 97. I was at the beach last weekend, will be at the beach this weekend and almost every weekend all year long! Don’t miss the sliding, shoveling, scraping or bundling at all. Snow is beautiful on TV.

103 chris gordon { 12.13.13 at 10:33 am }

i was born and raised here in Syracuse, NY and have lived in Oswego ny and other places just moved back here from Chattanooga tn cause i missed the winters up here Chattanooga has nothing as far as winter goes they get a dusting and the whole city shuts down unlike us cuse clan we are a hardy bunch and can take anything the winter throws at us

104 RJ { 12.13.13 at 10:11 am }

Watertown, NY. 8 months of winter. 4 months of poor ski conditions.

105 The Warming House { 12.13.13 at 9:47 am }

Living in MN for 12 years (and Chicago for 5 yrs before that) taught me to LOVE winter.

106 Ellen Obrist { 12.13.13 at 9:39 am }

Well, I was born and raised in Syracuse and as I type this on December 12 it is about 20 degrees and gloomy and snowing and with the windchill it feels a lot colder….I know this because I just walked the dog and froze! By mid January everyone is pretty grumpy, we haven’t seen much sun in almost 3 months and it is only going to get worse and everyone knows it!! It’s called light-deprivation therapy folks and I think it was invented just for Syracusans…..

107 NOCO { 12.13.13 at 9:38 am }

How about going 2 and 1/2 hours directly north of Syracuse, Oswego and literally any other town you could think of in New York. Yes, Plattsburgh included. Basically, Canada. Much more worse than Syracuse since its not really plowed.. the easiest way of transportation are snowmobiles.

108 terrie van slyke { 12.13.13 at 9:25 am }

home town is syracuse ny,,moved away in 84,,sure i may miss the snow,,lol naw i dont,,i do miss the fall tho,,i have been home a few times during the winter,,loved it,,but i sure dont miss it,,ya’ll stay warm

109 Greg { 12.13.13 at 9:11 am }

I got one word for you all “OSWEGO” haha.. it trumps all

110 Lisa m johnson { 12.13.13 at 9:07 am }

Syracuse New York is where I live and Been rasied most of all my life.I lovvvvvvvvvve when it snows.I just don’t like my NationGrid Bill.lol If you no what I mean.Be Bless….

111 Timmy { 12.13.13 at 9:03 am }

Grew up in Syracuse and hated it. Precisely the reason I moved to the best and most underrated city in the country, Pittsburgh. We get all four seasons and limited snow. Absolutely love it here and would never go back to the snow capital.

112 Sarah { 12.13.13 at 9:03 am }

It’s your attitude that makes or breaks whether you like something. I love Casper. In general the wind blows in the winter mostly when the warmer temps are moving in or have moved in. Give me 20 degrees and no wind in winter. I accept the wind and deal with it cuz I like other things about Casper. Change your attitude and everything around you changes!

113 starr { 12.13.13 at 9:00 am }

I now live in Albany, grew up in Pulaski, then moved to Buffalo to go to school. I’ll take Albany’s winters thank you

114 Jimnpat Cavell { 12.13.13 at 8:59 am }

I live in Oswego, about 45 north of Syracuse. Our “snow birds” over winter in Syracuse, famed for its relatively mild and almost snow free winters.(Compared to Oswego, Buffalo gets the fame and we get the snow.)

115 Sandy { 12.13.13 at 8:53 am }

Syracuse… where the leaves are off the trees longer than they are on.

116 theultrarev { 12.13.13 at 8:37 am }

Lived in Cleveland for 7 years and played golf 11 months out of the year multiple years. Currently live in Syracuse, which has been home on and off for me since 1979 and we never get more than 8 months of golf. Cleveland’s worst winter days are common in Syracuse. Also flew in and out of Duluth to work in northern MN for a year. Uh, Syracuse, you don’t want any of that.

117 Kate { 12.13.13 at 8:28 am }

Unfortunately, I have lived in many of the Northeast places you described above, born and raised in Syracuse, lived in Albany, now live in Saratoga and went to school in Cleveland. Nothing compares to a Syracuse winter, and I mean that in the worst way possible. We typically average more snowfall per year than Anchorage, Alaska and it is cloudy almost every day in the winter, cue seasonal depression. My first winter in Cleveland I remember thinking to myself, it’s so much sunnier here in the winter, this is great. My parents call me in Saratoga to tell me about the foot of snow they just got while I scoff and say, no snow here. The only upside to this snow nonsense is that 1. I can out-drive any non-CNYer in any blizzard 2. NY state is VERY proactive about their snow removal, something Ohio and PA were awful at (I-90 Erie corridor of death, anyone?), and 3. Lake Effect, b*tch. There was a reason they chose to set the movie Snowday in Syracuse, because it is the epitome of winter, something I personally dispise from January through the beginning of May.

118 Elisa C. { 12.13.13 at 8:27 am }

I currently live in Syracuse born and raised here. I have in the past moved several times. I have lived in Las Vegas , Holbrook Long Island, New Orleans. Well let me tell you I would rather live with the Winter here than to deal with the Earthquakes, Tornadoes, Hurricanes, Water droughts, the nasty insects (ones I have never even seen or heard of before), Alligators, Scorpions, Red ants….etc ! There is nothing like “The Four Seasons” here. Totally beautiful !!! There is from my travels no place quite like Syracuse NY. I “LOVE” it here …it is “HOME” ! The weather truthfully is not that bad we do not get all of that snow overnight it mostly comes in little spurts melts and goes away. Every city I have lived in has had their weather problems that you choose to live with and Syracuse has the least amount of weather related problems ! That is why I choose Syracuse NY to live in !!!!!

119 bob { 12.13.13 at 8:14 am }

I live in Syracuse but have been to all the cities listed at different times of winter. All have terrible weather but the worst was Duluth. Living in Syracuse, yes we have 125 0r so inches of snow a year but I grew up in the mountains of .where that was normal and it stayed on the ground there where here it comes and goes. Syracuse is rarely white from December to March. Dismal and gray yes, cold yes, but in Duluth you have cold with a wet lake wind that will absolutely go through your body and every you are wearing. is.cold and miserable up there. Syracuse has become my home and it is nice a city but as for miserable winter just go north of it 30 miles and you then have total snow misery. I have seen 9 feet of snow in peoples front yard and friends have had to use second story windows to get out of their houses. And this happened one year three times.

120 Fredd Garvinn { 12.13.13 at 8:14 am }

Born in Syracuse raised in many places but returned to the Cuse for High School years. Yes Syracuse has earned their number one ranking. Loved my time there and now as I reside in the city of Baltimore all it takes is the threat of snow to freak the people here out and Lord help you if the weather man is actually right when he calls for snow. It only took one snowfall here to see why people call them Baltimorons when they drive in the snow

121 Brad Hoff { 12.13.13 at 7:58 am }

Nobody mentioned North Pole ALASKA!!!

I guess they were to afraid to come here as well!

You don’t even want to know how much our fuel bill or electric bill are in a year with sometimes 9 months of Winter! Compared to temps sometimes as low as -50 or -60, you people have it easy!!!

Ever had square tires or had to breath at those temps is ridiculous!

There’s a reason people are “tougher in Alaska”!

122 KittiKat { 12.13.13 at 7:54 am }

For all the New Yorkers mentioning the many CNY towns,the article speaks of Syracuse because it’s the metro area of CNY, but many towns surrounding Syracuse experience the harsh Winters of Upstate,NY. I have lived in many towns throughout Central NY in my 42 years born and raised here. I have to say, living in Brewerton/Central Square NY, as well as any town/city North of Brewerton, we are right in the Lake Ontario snow belt! Like Eric said in a previous comment, I have to agree, you don’t have to shovel your “freezing cold temperatures”! Our lake effect snow storms alone, are down right overwhelming! I would much rather have a white Christmas and the beauty of the changing seasons that we get to appreciate up here! We New Yorkers can handle anything, if we can trudge through numerous feet of snow! Although we have very hot summers too, I really wouldn’t enjoy constant humid heat that the Southern states get, or the dry heat waves that take your breath away out West! Upstate/Central New York is known for the beautiful colors of the changing seasons!!! :-)

123 TG { 12.13.13 at 7:47 am }

Lived in Syracuse all my life but got to travel all around the country through work. Winter can be cold with snow and a little long for some (you’ll love it if you are into winter sports and we have the best drivers around) but you cannot beat our Spring, Summer and Fall! The natural beauty of this area cannot be beat. Go ‘Cuse!

124 paul { 12.13.13 at 7:44 am }

A lot of people mention other places that have bad winters , but they wouldn’t be considered “cities” …..I am glad i live in syracuse –snow and cold –yes but hardly ever see hurricanes or tornadoes or earthquakes or sinkholes! Pretty sure I will find my house where it was when I left it . Thank you very much….

125 Don { 12.13.13 at 7:21 am }

Trust me, Syracuse owns that spot for a reason… I’m moving.

126 Alicia { 12.13.13 at 6:35 am }

Born and raised in Syracuse!!! And while I don’t miss 9 months of winter… There is NO place like the Cuse!!!

127 mary { 12.13.13 at 6:25 am }

I live in Cicero, 7 miles from Syracuse North and yes , its is the snowest city. But we are lucky we do not live north as they get hammered. We have 6 months of winter.
But we were born and raised here and family is here. Welcome to Syracuse NY

128 Natalie Kio { 12.13.13 at 4:07 am }

No surprise there! Syracuse tops the list and we all say “let’s stay up around here” October to April? Try September to May sometime June. These subzero temps can go not counting the windchill on top. Stupid lake effect everything. Currently 7 degrees and dropping with over a foot on its way.

129 Chris { 12.13.13 at 3:52 am }

I grew up in Duluth. Totally miserable winters. In 1991, Duluth got 48 inches of snow on Halloween. Brutally cold temperatures. NOOOOO fun at all.

130 rob { 12.13.13 at 3:20 am }

I livr in syracuse and it is bullshit moved down south 2times myrtle beach and tampa and somehow end up n ack up here I hate the snow I think cuz I live here tonight we are going to get 12-24 inches really hope everyone who likes snow enjous it I hate it if u love snow move here u will hate it

131 bob { 12.13.13 at 2:49 am }

@Pam, actually that sounds really boring, lol. Truly you have NEVER experienced winter, only little hikes the mountains to skii and make a little fire.

132 Natalie V. { 12.13.13 at 2:20 am }

Born and raised and still here in Duluth, Mn. Yes very cold and even more so recently with it -30*. I have seen it all from the blizzard in Oct. 1997 and still we went Trick or Treating in waist deep snow. To the ice storm that had everything down for days. Crazy fun though when you can actually play in it with out losing a few toes. Lol.

133 eskimo jo { 12.13.13 at 1:58 am }

haha, one word… alaska

134 Tjam { 12.13.13 at 1:08 am }

I once drove on I-25 and saw 8 semi trucks blown over in Wyoming. By far the windiest place in the US.

135 nst { 12.13.13 at 1:04 am }

I am from Casper born and raised! It is the worst! Small town with small town people. Extreamly short summers very long winters! If your a car person this is the worst state. The wind is horrible! I have driven down the road holding my steering wheel 90 degrees to the right. If you have īnever experienced this before you have no clue what wind is. Simi trucks flipped over all over the place its a common occurrence there. And yes I did used to play that little WYO wind game which is fun when your a kid. But I’ll tell you that wind is awful on your hair and skin. The snow is horrible too and not to mention the bitter temperatures. To get a snow day at school or work it had to be -30 + with blizzard snow and over 3 feet on the ground already. Try learning how to drive it that at 16 not to mention the wind with that. O and once it snows the wind picks up and blows it into a drift zof over 10 feet that youbare just not gettng through. And all of that snow shloving and removal is not worth the nice things that are in wyoming.I have since moved away lived in Il/Mo and Tx since than and I’ll tell you what they think 2 inches is bad in Il and the most wind they get is a gust of 30mph they have no clue how to deal with it and everyone is freaking out and there are so many accidents over nothing because they have no clue how to deal with it. Its worse in Texas too here they get a tiny bit of ice and they open red cross shelters across the town just in case. They have the total of 2 snowplows and litterly half an inch of ice or snow shuts down the city. The stores look like the end of the world is coming every shelf is empty. The coldest it has gotten here in Texas is 20 degrees. These people have it good. In my option hit weather is better than cold or windy any day of the week. In my opinion Wyoming is better seen in the mid summer on a vacation. The only thing I miss about Casper is the beautiful mountain backdrop. Other than that no thanks!

136 Drew { 12.13.13 at 12:46 am }

I just moved to Cleveland. Everyone was asking me if I was ready for the snow. I usually just responded “I’m from Syracuse, NY” and they would somehow understand.

137 Annie { 12.13.13 at 12:37 am }

funny no matter how much snow comes down 36 inches in one weekend…never missed day of work in Syracuse NY..true about the sunshine…funny it can below zero but if the sun is out it feels like a heatwave!…lol

138 Judi { 12.13.13 at 12:30 am }

You people are nuts. I live in Syracuse and what you don’t realize is we have thaws thru out the winter so even though it seems like a lot of inches of snow …it melts somewhat between snow storms so the accumulation isn’t that bad. and neither are the storms.

139 Angela { 12.12.13 at 11:53 pm }

SANDY CREEK/REDFIELD/ORWELL 140 inches or more most winters…

140 Dorothy Korpela { 12.12.13 at 11:46 pm }

The only reason Duluth, Mn, didn’t beat out Syracuse, NY, was because the writer was too afraid to go there and check it out himself! Ha!

141 Alice { 12.12.13 at 11:27 pm }

Actually due to the effect of Lake Superior Duluth is usually somewhat warmer than the rest of northern Minnesota.It is snowy and icy and beautiful, but not as cold as some of the rest of us. Bemidji, International Falls, Roseau, and especially Embarrass, MN all can legitimately claim to be the Icebox of the Nation…

142 Justina { 12.12.13 at 11:20 pm }

I’ve lived outside of Syracuse, NY all of my life, and this is spot on. At the moment it is 3 degrees out there, and of course, snowing. :p

143 Jenn { 12.12.13 at 11:19 pm }

Seriously Syracuse is #1? I WHOLE HEARTEDLY disagree… I was raised here, came home when my marriage feel apart, am raising 2 beautiful boys here. Yeah the sun hibernates a lot of winter… But no way are we the worst.

144 Callie { 12.12.13 at 10:35 pm }

Alamosa, CO. Come on! It’s colder here than Alaska most days! Sadly, we are to small to be recognized for surviving the bitter cold but, we spend most of the winter in long johns and down comforters, sitting next to our space heaters with our hair dryers pointed at the pipes.

145 Go Cuse { 12.12.13 at 10:19 pm }

Lived in the Cuse for over 48 years. It’s home. Love the seasons and we have had some rough winters some not so rough. We know how to dress in it, drive in it, and 6 inches of snow is a joke to us as we watch other cities close down when they get an inch. We have the most beautiful fall and we appreciate summer. Sorry I just don’t buy its the worst winter weather.

146 john gay { 12.12.13 at 10:00 pm }

Iam from syracuse and you are so accurate

147 Nanook { 12.12.13 at 9:39 pm }

Syracuse winters are much worse than Anchorage winters. Fairbanks isn’t on the list because it only has 32K residents.

148 Lake Effect { 12.12.13 at 9:30 pm }

Lake Effect Snow…..SYRACUSE YA’ALL!!!!!!!!

149 Jennifer { 12.12.13 at 9:06 pm }

What about the Upper Peninsula?

150 Dean { 12.12.13 at 8:03 pm }

I lived in WYO from 1978-1992 and then moved to Louisiana thentaxes and then back to louisiana damn I miss the snow in Casper Wyoming and yes the one that made the comment about a wyomingites going through a hurricane that Katrina and Rita

151 mtngirl { 12.12.13 at 7:21 pm }

I have lived all over Wyoming and personally I think Laramie is much worse in the winter than Casper!

152 Sam { 12.12.13 at 7:08 pm }

Katie, I have lived in Casper for almost 40 years. I never remember it blowing 120. FYI wind is measured in mph not degrees and a barometer measures barometric pressure an anemometer measures wind speed.

153 TJ { 12.12.13 at 6:25 pm }

Well, I have lived in Wyoming most of my life and have worked all over WY, ND, MT, etc. I think ND has some of the coldest temps when I have been there in the winter, but never have experienced the wind chill levels like I have in WY. Casper somehow made the list, but it isn’t even the worst weather town/city in Wyoming. I have traveled many places across the US for work, and experienced many different types of winter. However I have never seen anything like Wyoming. The wind doesn’t blow like it any where else in the country. That’s what gets ya. I haven’t ever counted but I know that probably 5 of 7 days each week in the winter and the summer both the electronic warning signs are on with the Sustained wind 35 mph + with gusts exceeding 50 mph. So take that -20 F temp and add a 35 mph wind and it feels like -55 F. There is one thing that is true for Wyoming, I have seen people come from Canada, Minnesota, up state NY, Alaska, etc. who all claim to have the worst winters and then leave within two years because of nothing more than our winter wind.

154 BobC { 12.12.13 at 5:48 pm }

Something often overlooked in these lists is driving conditions. Cold and snow bring challenges to the roadways. How do you make snowy roads more challenging? ADD HILLS! All of these cities are relatively flat except Duluth, Mn. There is over 800ft of elevation change within the city. Sometimes called the ‘San Francisco of the Midwest!’ Some of the hills in the downtown area exceed 20% grade. Also, the ‘big pond’ we’re next to changes our weather extremely quickly. The wind can change direction and the temperature can drop 40+ degrees in a heart beat. I’ve lived in several cold cities, but Duluth’s driving conditions makes it the harshest in my opinion!

155 KrisTeena R Baker { 12.12.13 at 5:15 pm }

From Casper Wyoming, live it, love it. It Takes a strong person to live in wyoming. Wouldn’t have it any other way

156 Cbeyer { 12.12.13 at 3:59 pm }

Casper should be number 1 !

157 Vera { 12.12.13 at 11:59 am }

I lived in Casper for 30 years. I loved it and hated it. I remember going for a walk (my husband’s idea) when the temperature hovered around zero and the wind blew at 30-40 mph.
It got so cold that my nose ran and formed icicles hanging off my nose. I live in Arizona now and while I miss a lot about Wyoming, I don’t miss the winters.

158 Michelle R { 12.12.13 at 11:57 am }

Live in Casper now. Was in the subzero teens for about a week or wo. It’s 40 degrees today and feels like a heat wave! But of course it’s Windy!

159 Cathywildwest { 12.12.13 at 11:40 am }

If Casper Wyoming is 2nd on the list than I believe I can hang anywhere. You have to some kind of wussy to think Casper is one of the worst.

160 Megan { 12.12.13 at 9:49 am }

From Casper, Wyoming. During the winter the wind can blow gusts up to 70mph. When the wind stops, it snows and snows. Then the wind blows and blows. Just this last couple weeks when there was a break in the wind, temperatures dropped to -29°F windchill -40°F. Personally I would rather have wyoming wind than negative temperatures! When I was in grade school, walking home from school the wind had once picked me up and I fell pretty hard. A normal grade school activity in Wyoming was to run to the fields, un zip our coats and lean into the wind. The wind would keep us up for awhile and seemed like we could fly :). Im sure just like in big cities it is normal to go to sleep to traffic noises and other city sounds.. in Wyoming we go to sleep to the sound of wind! We normally DO NOT get snow days here, couple feet of snow. Thats just normal and the city will not shut down no matter the snow. I say bring on the zombie apocalypse, they wouldnt make it a day here! Happy holidays!

161 Veronica White { 12.12.13 at 7:52 am }

I was born and raised and currently live in Casper, Wyoming. The cold weather and wind make it a tough place to live, but I have to say I love it, many of the pioneers left because of the wind, many people today still cannot stand it.

162 jenn l { 12.12.13 at 1:16 am }

I hate Casper Wyoming! I was born there and it still sucks! You can’t even take your.children out unless you all Want the flu for a week….it’s miserable, cold, windy, BORING as Hell and the.people are rude…I’ve never been happier since we.left!!!

163 Amber Remington { 12.12.13 at 12:32 am }

I want to tell you the weather is horrible and stay away from Casper, WY but I’m a terrible liar…love this town, best place to raise kids :) Stay away anyway- we want it to stay small!

164 josh { 12.12.13 at 12:09 am }

If anything they really down played the Casper Wyoming wind. Just the other day it was-20 with 90 mph gusts. And it gets “worse” in January. Humidity and cold are terrible. Wind in my opinion is worse. I have a feeling this is why there is no people out here really lol.

165 Dan Kitinoja { 11.17.13 at 4:57 pm }

I grew up in Cleveland…I miss the snow!

166 susan { 10.23.13 at 4:20 pm }

well i hv to say ive lived in 27 states in my 54 yrs im not sorry for any of it but ive always seemed to come home to the place i was born and raised…a beautiful place called cicero new york on the wonderful shores of oneida lake winter spring summer and fall theres always something going on with some of the most friendly people in the world luv upstate xxxx

167 chuck { 10.09.13 at 6:33 pm }

All I have to say is Fulton NY!!! Forget about it!!!!!!!!!

168 Chris D { 07.10.13 at 8:13 pm }

Parish, NY resident here. Come up here to the Tug Hill Plateau. Back in 2007 we had over 130 inches of snow in 10 days. There were many times heading into work to syracuse that I would leave the house and drive through 3-4 feet of snow on the roadways plus snow falling at 5-8 inches per hour at the same time. Then you’d get just south of Central Square and it’d be clear as day.

169 jenn { 01.23.13 at 10:35 am }

It’s -13f (-24c) and with the wind factor it feels like -36f (-38c) in montreal….

170 Pam { 01.19.13 at 4:55 pm }

Ahh…all of your comments about the coldness of the North and Mid-Eastern states makes me appreciate my beautiful San Joaquin Valley of Central California all the more! We have about two weeks of 20-30 degree nights during the winter, sometimes it snows & hails when it rains but very seldom, and the winter middays hover around 60. Guess what? We can take a 45 minute drive TO the snow for downhill skiing, sledding, cross-country skiing, hot chocolate in front of the huge fires at the lodges (especially in Yosemite)…then drive home and OUT of the snow & freezing cold. If it gets too cold we can drive to So Cal for warm sunny beaches. Winter only lasts about 3 months in the Valley then we burst wide open with gorgeous green Spring full of flowers & blossoms! Summers are wonderful for swimming, camping, hiking and the wonderful warm weather usually lasts from April to October. We have 3 months of Fall. This year it was warm on Thanksgiving Day! Yeah…I’m a California gal—all my life, and I will never move.

171 Erin S. { 01.08.13 at 11:01 am }

I have lived in Casper, WY most of my life, and aside from the constant and ever-present wind, we love it. The wind is awful, though. It actually tore the wall off our barn and blew it an acre away, over a barbed wire fence onto neighboring land. I’ve seen it blow semis off the interstate. I would rather have the wind than all the over-crowded cities in the world, though.

172 michael Bragg { 12.20.12 at 8:24 pm }

As for wind, and in considering it effects, you have not seen the wind blow until you have experienced it south of Cheyenne, Wyoming along the Interstate 25 corridor. I spent two years 26 miles south of Cheyenne superintending the steel erection on a coal fired powerhouse. I had the best raising gang I ever encountered in my career and thanks to them we got the job completed. The day after a blow at Rawhide there was literally nothing on the ground under the size of pea gravel and some of it was gone. I once drove I 25 south and stopped counting the overturned semi’s at 15… there were more. An employee opened the door to my pickup, the door was bent forward against the front fender and the windshield “went to Nebraska”. so to speak. I am sure the wind blows harder somewhere on this earth, but I for one ain’t going there to find out. Anyone that spent those two years there remembers… right Doug?

Mike

173 Uwe { 12.11.12 at 7:02 pm }

The wind stopped blowing once in Wyoming and we all fell down. LOL
I love Wyo!

174 Tweed { 12.10.12 at 5:33 pm }

I live in Central Square (20 mins north of Syracuse) and I love the change of seasons here, there is nothing better than an a foot of snow coming down and sitting in front of a roaring fire sipping hot chocolate. Try that in Dallas! When the sun shines, its a blessing and it lifts your spirits and brightens everyone’s mood. I lived in Southern California after college, boring, everyday is sunny, it gets old. Here is an adventure and besides after global warming kills all your awesome places to live, we will be just perfect! Our plow people teach other cities how to get rid of snow and our local drivers could be ice racers! Bring on the snow baby.

175 Stephanie H { 12.10.12 at 1:55 pm }

I know that the cold and snow can be horrible in many places in the lower 48. I am not about to comment that we have the worst winters, I just know from my experience, Wyoming winters are harsh, but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else! I complain just like most of us who live in Casper. But it truly has it beautiful moments too. We have always joked that if the wind stopped blowing here we would all fall over, and it’s about the truth. The wind makes the cold so much more bitter and harsh. But I think any Wyomingite could hold their own in any hurricane, lol. I love Wyoming.

176 auna { 12.09.12 at 10:05 pm }

I miss Wyoming n the weather

177 Lisa { 12.09.12 at 6:11 pm }

Wyo girl here… Yep it’s cold and windy for most of the year!! Wouldn’t trade it for anything :)

178 Suzee { 12.09.12 at 3:09 pm }

I’ve lived in Casper 32 years & have to agree with the wind part. When you’re driving straight forward but have to have your steering wheel turned full 1/4 or more just to continue going straight, you know it’s windy! And forget keeping a decent hairstyle!

179 scoobie doo { 12.02.12 at 11:12 pm }

The description of Syracuse winters is fairly accurate, but it didn’t mention the dreaded lake effect snows … a band of heavy, wet snow that blows in off the lakes (Ontario or Erie, take your pick) and can pile up pretty quickly. I remember it coming down a the rate of a foot an hour for an entire afternoon and my mom sent me out on a futile mission to shovel the driveway. I turned around to go back inside when I’d finished and found the driveway was already covered again! A couple of skiiers passed by and said they were headed to the grocery store before it (and the roads) closed, and could they get us anything? They came back with milk, bread and eggs … which was great because the roads ended up being closed for three days so the plows could come in. And that’s nothing compared to places like Mexico and Redfield, just north of Syracuse – they got over 12 feet of snow in a week a few years ago!

180 Mark { 08.03.12 at 9:36 am }

I’m 34 and lived all my life in south Louisiana. We have 12 months of summer lol! We might get 15 days a year of 25-30 degrees. Me and my family hate the heat. We have to move to Casper Wyoming in November for my job. What can I aspect? I love the cold!

181 motorhead { 05.08.11 at 8:56 pm }

Its true about Detroit or eastern MI its really cloudy alot and depressing I want to move back to OKC.

182 Lynn { 03.09.11 at 12:41 am }

I moved to Casper, Wyoming for a job and it is by far the most miserable place I have ever spent a winter. The wind basically blows 25-30 mph sustained for nearly 6 months straight. I had to buy an Arctic expedition-weight parka just to spend time outdoors in the winter. And I never even owned a scarf before I moved here! If the economy didn’t suck so bad I would be working and living someplace else. As soon as I retire I’m out of here and I’ll collect my substantial Wyoming state employee pension in someplace warm and sunny!

183 Eric { 12.14.10 at 10:37 pm }

Syracuse new york is the super bowl of snow as far as cities go with populations of 100,000 or more. Syracuse averages 121 inches of snow a season. thats our average not our all time high. right now syracuse is on top in the golden snow globe contest with 50 inches of snow. anchorage alaska sits at 25 inches of snow and minot north dakota isn’t even in the top 10. Minot north dakota only averages 40 inches of snow a season with a population of 36,000. you people say what about this place what about that place, this place is colder that place is colder, so than all I got to say is what about Oswego county? Mexico new york, Parish new york, Pulaski new york, REDFIELD NEW YORK-142 inches of snow in less than a week! sure there are places that are colder than Syracuse new york but c’mon people you dont have to shovel cold out of your driveway or off of your roof!

184 Sheila McHattie { 11.23.10 at 9:29 am }

Casper is cold but the wind blows off the show and the chinooks warm things up.
The beautiful clear days looking over mountain vistas seem to warm it up over those winter days.

185 Robert Schulz { 11.21.10 at 9:01 pm }

I grew up in Bismarck, ND, moved to Butte, MT and then Casper, Wyoming. Bismarck has way more snow, Butte is far colder. Casper has more wind. All three have long winters.

186 Carol D { 11.16.10 at 12:12 am }

I was born and raised just up the North Shore of Lake Superior from Duluth, in Two Harbors. Left home in 1960, making 1959 my last winter in Minnesota. Until Now. I decided I wanted to spend a winter in Duluth so I am housesitting for my sister and am looking forward to taking a lot of great photographs of my favorite Winter Wonderland. Have snug, warm house with a nice picture window for watching the storms. Let it Snow!

187 Brian { 11.12.10 at 1:15 pm }

If you like weather extremes, come to Wyoming. We probably get hurricane force winds more often than Florida, as much snow as Buffalo, as cold as Alaska, and as hot Arizona, all in one day. Awesome and beautiful!!

188 Elliepants { 11.12.10 at 12:44 pm }

I ran from the Syracuse area as soon as I finished college. I know many up there love the winter activity, but I am not one of them. I enjoy having the war stories of growing up in Oswego County winters, but I’m not up for creating any more.

189 SeanB { 11.11.10 at 12:55 am }

Casper is cold, bitter and unbearably windy. I love it, keeps that population in check! Lol! You Wyomingites know what I’m talking about!

190 john sprague { 11.08.10 at 5:10 pm }

I will never forget a snow storm dumped 68 inches in 48 hrs in the town of montague,ny. Which is 30 minutes north of syracuse,ny. This was following a noreaster and was just lake effect snow! Thanks for the sympathy, John

191 Ann { 10.10.10 at 3:59 pm }

I guess most of the snow and temps we are used to(that’s if you grew up here)I have to admit we all become a little grumpy here in the winter because of the lack of sun in Syracuse.But instead of complaining most of us Syracusans embrace the time of year..there are so many things to do..ice skating…skiing…Winter fest..Poker run..snowmobiling….Hockey..also it gives time for families to be together….In my years and years of living here.I dont think I ever missed a day of work … .While other cities get 3 or 4 inches of snow and consider it a Blizzard..we consider that JUST a Dusting…Shoveling is a pain in the Butt but White Christmases are Beautiful!!!

192 Stephanie { 09.29.10 at 7:17 pm }

I lived in duluth my whole life and I will 100 percent agree…but love it! It’s not winter until your nostrils freeze together!

193 Suzi { 09.21.10 at 8:17 pm }

I have to agree with Katie. We had a 3 day blizzard come in and our wind gauge clocked 126 mph, average speed for the 3 days was 96.6 mph. We live where you can get snowed in for weeks. Really different after New Orleans.

194 Rich { 09.16.10 at 9:56 pm }

Very glad to hear from those from Syracuse who love the snow because you can ski, snow shoe, sled, whatever and have fun, instead of being gloomy about it. See you at Tog!

195 Jaime McLeod { 09.16.10 at 7:42 am }

Hi K,
The Farmers’ Almanac only covers the continental United States. We have a separate edition for Canada, but Alaska and Hawaii are not covered in any edition. This list only includes cities within the lower 48 and, as other readers have pointed out below, with populations over 50,000. While there are many locations throughout the continental U.S. that are colder or have more snow than those listed here, we made a conscious decision to include only significant population centers within our normal coverage area.

196 K { 09.15.10 at 5:06 pm }

What about Fairbanks Alaska Valdez Alaska, and Anchorage Alaksa. This list is bogus. Fairbanks rugularly hits -40 F, and Valdez measures snowfall in the feet. Anchorage isn’t as bad as either of the 2 previous. If this is the kind of list Farmers Almanac puts together, I wouldn’t trust anything in the book.

197 Tina { 09.14.10 at 5:09 pm }

@KDK
No kidding with Minot! I’m a Wyoming native, and I now live in Grand Forks. I’d choose Wyoming winters over North Dakota winters any day! Grand Forks spends most of it’s winter (at least 6 months of it) with wind chills averaging -45. It’s usually -30 ambient November- March.

198 Winnie { 09.13.10 at 8:02 pm }

I came from WV, never owned boots, had maybe 6-8″s of snow a yr. I’ve been in Syracuse 48yrs. Dont mind the snow as long as the plows come through. We could use more sun but I hate the 90 degree days, would much rather have it 30 -80 degrees all the time. “Where would that be?)

199 KDK { 09.12.10 at 10:16 pm }

I live in Casper, and I grew up in Minot. Yep, Minot is MUCH worse in the winter. At least in Casper we can go enjoy the winter up on the mountain, amazing Nordic trails, as well as downhill skiing, and snowmobiling.

200 Mariya { 09.12.10 at 7:52 pm }

As someone who lives in Cleveland, I would agree that our winter weather is not great, but I don’t really get why we’re on this list. Although, I’m originally from Moscow, Russia so maybe my perception is skewed. :/

201 AJ { 09.12.10 at 9:27 am }

LOL! It appears that many people apparently don’t know how to read AND comprehend. But, what else is new? As it was stated in the article, THEY LIMITED THEIR PICKS to a population of 50,000 people or more. Therefore, their “Top 10 List” will NOT include MOST of the places that have much worse winter weather. DUH!!!! Yes, that also makes their top 10 picks very pointless. But, that’s just how it is. All I can say is that if you don’t like the snow and cold, move south and quit yer bitchin’. LOL!

I’m from upstate NYS, and if the taxes didn’t bleed us dry so very badly, I’d honestly have to say that this may very well be one of the best places to live in the USA (pertaining to our overall moderate weather climate and beautiful seasonal changes).

But alas, state and property taxes have basically destroyed this state. Honestly, I’m not sure how much longer we can afford to live here. Been 35 years thus far, and over-taxation has only gotten worse. With the terrible economy, everything – and I mean EVERYTHING – has gotten more expensive, and wages have absolutely not kept up. Additionally, many jobs here pay well below national averages, as I’ve found in recent research. Don’t get me wrong, we’re still getting by – but barely.

202 Christen { 09.11.10 at 5:39 pm }

Yay for Casper. I knew I had a reason for complaining about the obnoxiously short summers.

203 Bobby { 09.11.10 at 3:08 pm }

that and the plows here in syracuse make all the others look like an an f150. oh yeah, cause thats what alot of places use…. the highway plows they send down 81 are ridiculous. however the salt is terrible for the vehicles.

204 baron { 09.11.10 at 12:21 pm }

I used to call syracuse home,graduated from liverpool h.s. froze teaching skiing for many years.I live at Lake Tahoe now ,still teaching skiing.Much more snow,500 plus inches a year,nowhere near as cold and miserable,almost cloudless skies everyday.Powder not Ice!!!!!Dont miss those weeks of sub-zero temperatures…..

205 Katie { 09.11.10 at 2:09 am }

The wind in Casper Wyoming is way worse than 60 degrees on average, last winter our barometer clocked out at 120 mph and we don’t know how hard it was really blowing because our barometer stops at 120 mph. That same winter our neighbors windows were broken out on the west side of their house due to the wind picking up rocks. It’s way worse than the article says.

206 Mary { 09.10.10 at 12:34 pm }

I grew up in Red Creek (about 45 mins west of Syracuse & 7 miles from Lake Ontario) which is notorious for it’s Lake Effect snowfall… My father worked in Syracuse for 35 years and I went to college for 3 in East Syracuse at LeMoyne. I’m still in the area and can vouch for the long winter, cold temperatures, high snowfall and especially the 1/3 amount of sunshine during Jan, Feb & March. This probably is one of the reasons why so many Central New Yorkers are due for babies in August, September & October! But, I love it anyways because when Spring, Summer & Fall hit, Syracuse & CNY truly has all four seasons. Upstate New York is beautiful!

207 Elkay 310 { 09.10.10 at 9:21 am }

Shame on you for saying such negative things about Buffalo. I grew up there and lived there for 46 years before “retiring” to Florida. Like anywhere, it has it’s good and bad points. But it’s my home town and it’s offensive to read such nasty comments. I hope you are happy wherever you are now.

208 tb { 09.10.10 at 8:56 am }

Yea I remember jumping of the second story of my house in syracuse with no worries about breaking any bones due to the immense snow fall

209 Roberta Trask { 09.10.10 at 8:43 am }

Buffalo NY. Worst jobmarket, worst weather,( summer and winter), worst economy, worst people. Calls itself “city of good neighbors”. Worst lie.

210 Amy { 09.10.10 at 8:41 am }

Read the entire article before you suggest other places. “We set a limit of a population of at least 50,000 people.”

211 Teri { 09.10.10 at 8:24 am }

Yup, try anywhere in Oswego County (I’m in Mexico). We make it to national news pretty much every year.

212 JG { 09.10.10 at 6:19 am }

What about Columbus, OH? I lived there for 9 years and every single winter got worse. Then after 6-8 months of never ending snow and cold you have a cold and rainy summer, another topic but none the less a miserable city.

213 F { 09.09.10 at 10:44 pm }

whoever did this has no idea what winter is. i live in minot, north dakota. i went to school in syracuse. syracuse was tropical in comparison

214 margaret { 09.09.10 at 10:00 pm }

Syracuse is a 4 season wonder place…..I wonder why the seasons are 3/1 cold, cold,cold and warm…..but I still love this city! We are a hardy breed with warm hearts.

215 Julie { 09.09.10 at 9:19 pm }

I have lived in Casper, Wyoming, for most of my life, and we often joke that summer here is on June 17th, and there are no springs or autumns. Winters here are cold, harsh, and fierce. However, they also have beautiful moments; like when the frost paints the trees with a diamond sheen that catches every particle of light within a mile, and when the air is so cold and still you can hear a horse snort in the barn 200 feet away. If you’re not a cold weather person, I’d suggest another address, but even if you aren’t, sometimes those early morning moments make the fact that your nose hairs are frozen, worth it after all.

216 kristin { 09.09.10 at 9:18 pm }

Clearly the person who wrote this does not partake in winter sports. I love Syracuse winters. Turn on the snow machine, Mama wants to ski.

217 V { 09.09.10 at 5:22 pm }

I grew up in Syracuse and went to college in Potsdam, NY (It’s a few minutes from the Canadian border). I think Potsdam is 10x worse than Syracuse in the winter. It seems most of the winter the college would have metal advisories because the wind chill would be -40 (during the day) and if you wore earrings or metal necklaces you most certainly would get frost bite. The cold was such a shock that if I went outside in the winter with wet hair, it would turn solid and then break off if I wasn’t careful. I don’t even want to mention what that cold would do to my snot in my nose. It was painful and bloody.

218 Ken { 09.09.10 at 3:59 pm }

Water crisis, we have no water crisis, why because it snows here in the winter and rains in the Spring. In the end water is our most valuable resource.

219 Jim C { 09.09.10 at 2:44 pm }

Alright, Oneonta? I was raised in Syracuse and oddly enough schooled for 4 years in Oneonta… Dude, imagine that 4 feet of snow lasting from Oct-April. But not just that, 4 feet of snow, that half melts, that then refreezes, that gets even more snow on top of it. It’s almost near impossible to shovel.

To Cuse’ credit: The snow plow system/road salting is efficient and they have it down to a science.

220 Paul { 09.09.10 at 2:24 pm }

Cold and snow is what we are known for in Minnesota. It snows from Mid Oct to Mid April, and genearlly teases us with flakes in Sep and May. With that said, we can have snow on the ground and freezing temps for over 8 months of the year….

221 Paul R. { 09.09.10 at 12:28 pm }

Anybody ever hear of Fargo? No other description needed . . .

222 Eric { 09.09.10 at 10:49 am }

Jean Shepard should not have been using the defrosters on his windshield during the Wyoming blizzard, as this allows the windshield to more easily ice up. Better to keep the windshield as cold as possible to allow the wipers to more easily sweep the snow off.

223 Bob { 09.09.10 at 2:02 am }

As the title didn’t mention coldest cities in the USA how about a city that makes all of these look tropical? Yakutsk, Siberia! With a record low of – 83.9 F !!

224 Teri C. { 09.08.10 at 9:48 am }

Oneonta, NY has also had is’s share of very nasty weather.A few years ago we had a very bad snow storm on Christmas Day {4feet in my front yard)

225 Carol { 09.08.10 at 9:01 am }

Funny, this sounds like Utica, New York to me. Both cities do have a lot of good things going on but you did describe the winter correctly. Guess you have to love it to live there.

226 Cheez Head { 09.02.10 at 7:43 pm }

What about Green Bay WI? You know, the frozen tundra at Lambeau Field, where the Green Bay Packers play football in single-digit tempatures.