Farmers Almanac Weather

Waning Gibbous

This Christmas, Will the Weather Be Naughty or Nice?

This Christmas, Will the Weather Be Naughty or Nice?

Are you dreaming of a white Christmas this year? If so, you may be in luck. Though the statistical probability of a white Christmas is actually rather slim in most areas of the U.S., and even Canada, our forecast predicts snow in several regions this Christmas. Read on to find out whether your area will be a winter wonderland this holiday season!

Northeastern U.S.
Some snow Christmas.

Midwest/Great Lakes
Snow showers, few snow squalls around Great Lakes.

Southeastern U.S.
Increasing clouds.

Rockies & Plains
Snow over Rockies, Plains for Christmas.

South Central U.S.
Snow northern New Mexico. Rain Southern New Mexico, Texas, Mississippi Valley.

Northwestern U.S.
Fair skies.

Southwestern U.S.
Stormy, especially along California coast.

Newfoundland, Labrador
Light snow, then clear and very cold.

Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, New Brunswick, Quebec
Possibly a White Christmas (or a White Boxing Day): storm from the south brings a threat of snow.

Ontario
White Christmas? Locally heavy snow showers around the Great Lakes; elsewhere, spotty light snow or flurries.

Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan
If you’re dreaming of a White Christmas, you might get your wish: heavy snows over the Rockies and Prairies.

British Columbia
Stormy, especially along the coast.

1 Mike { 07.31.13 at 9:14 am }

Snow for me, is heavenly. If I could have my druthers, I’d like snow 6 months out of the year. Hot summers actually can be depressing for me. However, as every day is God’s showpiece, I have to remember to be content through all weather conditions.

Still, there is nothing quite so beautiful as snow beginning on Thanksgiving and continuing throughout the late fall and winter.

2 ccmacris { 12.21.12 at 2:56 pm }

To me a Winter without snow is boring and depressing and last year the Winter of 2011-2012 was a good example of it. Well at least we had snow in October last year but that was it pretty much it expect for 11 inches of snow in NYC in Janruary of 2012 and an mini snowstorm in late February of 2012. But besides that last Winter was a boring as anything.

3 ccmacris { 12.21.12 at 2:52 pm }

I just want to have a true white Christmas this year in NYC and no green Christmas Days like we did last year with no snow and balmy tempertures in the 50′s, yuck. I just like it cold and snowy and that is why the winters of 2009-2010 and 2010-2011 were my favorite winters because there was lots of snow and lots of Arctic cold blasts. which were thankfully neverending. That is one of the reasons why i cannot live in Florida because it is always humid, sticky, and hot and there alot of big gross bugs like it is the time of the dinosaurs. I just hope this Winter will be really cold and snowy and the United States or Canada and we will not have any repeat of the 2011-2012 were Winter was snowless and the Summer was as hot as a stove. I wish that this year instead will be super cold and snowy, then we have a cool rainy spring and a cool rainy summer. No heatwaves in the Summer of 2013 please either for NYC and beyond, I hate sweating.

4 Lainey Sunshine { 12.19.12 at 11:15 am }

Will it snow in Northeast Ohio??

5 Candice Wright { 12.15.12 at 11:17 pm }

When will it snow in the eastern part of va

6 Dee { 12.11.12 at 8:17 am }

I live in New England. And so much hoping that we get some snow to make Christmas that much more special.The temps being so mild not thinking this is gonna happen.But you never know living in this area the weather changes every four hours.

7 Becky OBryan { 12.07.12 at 10:27 am }

No snow right now, but we did have about 8″ right after Thanksgiving. Hoping for more for Christmas. Didn’t get much last winter and gardens were a mess. Snow is poor man’s fertilizer. I live in central CT.

8 Brent { 12.06.12 at 10:07 am }

It’s Dec 06 I’m sitting just north of Edmonton about 160 km it’s 8 am and it’s -27 C this is January weather hope it warms up for Christmas

9 Diane Pilon { 12.06.12 at 8:22 am }

I love to read the farmer’s almanac i’ts interesting like no other,As for our weather it seems to have changed a lot in the past few years milder and less snow, I love it but wouln’t mind a sprinkle of the white stuff especially for Christmas.Thank You very much for all your intresting information, a faithful reader Wishing every one and their families at Farmer’s Almanac A very Merry Christmas.from up North Diane
Chelmsford Ont

10 Barbara { 12.05.12 at 4:37 pm }

I live in York, PA and although our weather the last couple of days has been quite warm its getting colder as I type this! You have been very accurate so far and I expect to see some of that horrid white stuff in the next few weeks as you are predicting. Would love to know how you figure things out, what’s your secret?

11 Janet groves { 12.05.12 at 3:29 pm }

Im not a fan of cold westher or snow but we really need the precip In southern Illinois, and the cold weather to kill the germs .

12 IVANA :) { 12.05.12 at 1:35 pm }

Hi all . well here in Mississauga -Ontario no snow really frustrated I really want the ” Old Man ” to visit us eh?! Specially my Golden Retriever. :))

13 Cyndi { 12.05.12 at 1:28 pm }

It looks like Maryland won’t get snow until MAYBE February (crossed fingers). It’s very warm here

14 ron { 12.05.12 at 1:27 pm }

I live in the Columbia River Gorge. We never really know what our weather is going to be but its be real warm and wet for the last 2 months, snow would be a nice change.

15 Cheryl Becker { 12.05.12 at 12:29 pm }

Thank you for all of the weather forecasts over the years. I always look to you for all my weather!!

16 Priscilla { 12.05.12 at 12:28 pm }

I live in South Texas and welcome the rain. We are still in a drough and need all we can get then some.

17 Joyce { 12.05.12 at 12:09 pm }

LOL I live in N Central Idaho and you all can keep your snow :)

18 jola { 12.05.12 at 12:09 pm }

Hello, I live in northern Ontario, Sudbury area, and we have no snow. I would prefer having snow,,,and this is very unusual weather, peeking as high as +11 celcius, Dec 4th, and now we have a sprinkle of snow….just a little. No snow on the ground, and the planes are now flying from the lakes yet; so nothing is frozen.

19 linda { 12.05.12 at 11:23 am }

I wish there was a way to pinpoint our area a little better. I live in New Mexico..but down in the southern Sacremento mountains. our weather is much different from that of Northern NM. I use this site all the time…Thank you!

20 mary3618 { 12.05.12 at 10:38 am }

Looking at the forcast – it doesn’t look like Kennesaw, GA will get any snow. BUMMER

21 Ron { 12.05.12 at 10:15 am }

I live in the Great Lakes region, so i need snow for Christmas. Ice for the Lakes would be fine too. I turn to the Farmers’ Almanac for all my weather. Thanks for what you do Almanac

22 Dawidek { 12.05.12 at 10:06 am }

After living in the Lake Erie lake effect most of my life moving to East Tennessee has been a refief from the snow with moderate temperatures. I’ll take a green Christmas any time. I can alway drive to the mountain peaks to see the white stuff.

23 Susan Zambella { 12.05.12 at 9:31 am }

I live in upstate NY and somehow we manage to get at least a dusting of snow to make it look authentic. But from childhood memories, these “modern” Christmas’ are slim in the snow department. I hope its white. Its never right without it. How on earth will Santa land his sleigh on the rooftops??!!

24 IRENE { 12.05.12 at 9:23 am }

Here we have not had any snow.Last winter no snow I moved to Rochester from the SnowCat Area ,And they want it there so to sell more They have gotten alittle .Seems strange no snow like it used to be Thanks for the Almanac -

25 mandie { 12.05.12 at 9:17 am }

This Minnesota girl will take the snow, please! Last winter was so brown and depressing! How can it be Christmas without snow??

26 KarenT { 12.05.12 at 9:17 am }

I agree, I have been on too many newsletter mailing lists these days, however, The Farmers Almanac remains my original favorite and a keeper for sure – thank you!

27 andrew { 12.05.12 at 9:13 am }

I enjoy receiving your texts of weather and all the other articles of interest

28 Mari { 12.05.12 at 9:09 am }

Well, since I live in Texas, I really didn’t expect snow, but it is a fun thing for Christmas time. However, my tomatoes are blooming and ripening like gang-busters, so I will opt for tomatoes over snow! Today is another clear, warm day.