Many old timers believe that the following rules help people live a more orderly way of life. Some of these rules pertain to the Moon’s place in the zodiac (which can be obtained in the calendar pages in the Farmers’ Almanac), others, to the phases of the Moon; some a combination of both. If the zodiac sign and phase of the moon are both favorable for doing a certain task, many people believe that there can be no better guarantee of success.
Remember, the Moon passes through a variety of zodiac signs during the period of a month, unlike the Sun, which takes longer to move through the zodiac.
We offer for fun or for serious consideration, the following suggestions gathered from various sources:
- To quit a habit, stop when the Moon is in the second day of Sagittarius.
- Cut hair and trim beards in Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, and Pisces. It will grow thicker, stronger, and more beautiful.
- The best time for dental work is when the sign is below the waist, during the increase of the Moon. Wounds will heal better.
- Fishing is extra good during Cancer, the breast. Fish will be more plentiful and they’ll be biting better, while fishing will only be fair in the sign of Aries.
- Love and romance flourish in Leo, the heart. Leo is also a good sign to go looking for a job, if you are in need of one.
- Plant pumpkins during the sign of Libra.
- Paint your house during Aries or Leo. The paint will dry faster.
- Prune grapevines just before the full of the Moon in Scorpio, Taurus, or Cancer. Neither birds nor worms will infest the grapes.
- Set eggs for hatching when the Moon is in Cancer. Chickens hatched during the new Moon are stronger and grow more quickly.
- Cut firewood during the light of the Moon so it will burn well and stay bright.
- The best time to wean a calf is when the zodiac sign is getting near the feet (Pisces). The calf will cry less.
- Parts of the body governed by a sign, are supposedly more sensitive when the Moon is in that sign.
- Days of week are supposedly ruled by certain planets: Monday- Moon, Tuesday- Mars, Wednesday- Mercury, Thursday- Jupiter, Friday- Venus, Saturday- Saturn, Sunday- Sun.
Gardening By The Moon
- Dig roots crops during the full Moon. They’ll keep longer.
- Can fruit and vegetables after full Moon in signs of Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces.
- Cut hay between the full and new Moon. It will dry quicker.
- Plant your below-ground, root crops (beets, carrots, potatoes, or turnips) between the full and new Moon.
- Dip post holes in the dark of the moon, (between full and new Moon). They will settle tight and firm.
- Harvest crops between the full and new Moon. They will keep longer and stay in good condition.
- Good time to plant above-ground crops such as corn, lettuce, beans, and cukes.
- Best baking days are between the new and full Moon, during the signs Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn.
- Best time to plant corn. This Moon phase is considered to be the most fruitful.
- If beauty and fragrance are your goals, plant flowers between the first quarter and the full Moon in Libra. For abundance, plant flowers in Cancer or Pisces.
- Dig sweet potatoes between first quarter and full Moon in any sign except Cancer and Capricorn.
- Cut timber during this Moon phase. It will dry better and not be worm-eaten.
- Destroy weeds, kill brush, or trees in barren signs, Gemini, Leo, or Virgo.
For other best days, check out our monthly calendar.