Pumpkin pie spice brings the essence of autumn not only to traditional pumpkin pie, but to a cornucopia of other delicious foods and beverages. Do you like to cook with pumpkin pie spice all year long? With this recipe, you can prepare your own and keep this delicious flavoring at hand any time the notion arises.
To make your own pumpkin pie spice, combine these seasonings in a container and store out of direct sunlight.
Pumpkin Pie Spice:
3 t. cinnamon
1 t. allspice
1 t. cloves
1 t. nutmeg
Tasty Tips for Using Pumpkin Pie Spice:
1. Shake the spice blend in a cup of hot chocolate or coffee.
2. Stir a pinch into a pot of freshly brewed tea or a steaming crock of hot apple cider or spiced tea.
3. Add a pinch of pumpkin pie spice when cooking oatmeal.
4. When making your own dinner rolls or loaf of bread, add 1 teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice to the dough ingredients for a festive flair of autumn flavor.
5. Add a teaspoon to bread pudding recipes, pumpkin pie, pumpkin or banana bread muffins, cinnamon rolls, coffee cake or pancake batter, and fruit cobblers instead of the cinnamon called for in the recipe.
6. Use as a substitute for cinnamon in any recipe, such as French toast or cookies.
Pumpkin Pie Spice Honey Butter Recipe
Tastes great on yeast rolls, pumpkin muffins, bagels or pancakes
Allow ¼ lb. butter to soften slightly at room temperature. Place in a mixing bowl and add ¼ t. pumpkin pie spice and ¼ c. honey. Blend together with a mixer. Add additional honey, until you reach desired sweetness.