Memorial Day Weekend is a big weekend for outdoor chores, fun, and gardening. Here are some timely tips from the pages of the Farmers’ Almanac that I hope you find useful.
- An old golf bag is a real treasure to a gardener. Long-handled tools can be carried in the club compartment and smaller ones in the side pocket.
- Remove the spray end of a watering can and use the can to hold and dispense wild bird seed.
- Hang a big calendar by the garden supplies. Record on it chores performed and dates of importance to come. Fold out-of-date sheets backward for reference.
- Create a feeling of depth in a small yard by positioning small-leaf plants on the property line, large-leaf ones close to the house. The eye perceives the size difference as distance.
- Position garden stakes so the wind blows plants toward the supports, not away from them.
- Water your lawn or garden in the evening. This helps minimize evaporation. Let the water run slowly so the soil can absorb it.
- To attract butterflies to your yard, plant bright colored flowers. Butterflies seem to be especially attracted to purples, yellow, orange and red, Keep the colors growing all season by growing different varieties that bloom at different times.