A little over a week ago, we were wondering whether the world would end, along with the Mayan Calendar. Now that we’re still here, we can look forward to the end of the year and the start of a new one. Though New Year’s Day is really just another day, when we move from one year to another, there is a great deal of emotion and anticipation. Every year has some hardships – lost friends, national crises, changes in jobs, and family issues – but hopefully each year also has its share of joys and successes. As we exit one year and head into another, we bring a whole lot of anticipation with us.
We can control much of our own destiny. We’ll try to be healthier, kinder, smarter … So far, there is no downside to 2013. We hope and dream for the best. Maybe the fiscal cliff is only a mere molehill, a fiscal bump in the road. Maybe world conflicts will end. Maybe this is the year for a great romance or a new best friend. Anything and everything can happen during the next calendar year.
Here is my best advice for beginning a new year:
– Go into 2013 with a positive attitude. It can and will be better, but it has to start within ourselves.
– If you have your health, you really have everything. So, watch your weight and get exercise daily. Eliminate unhealthy habits.
– Set goals for the year. Think about what you want to achieve in the realms of health, career, family. Be sure to include a stretch goal or two.
– Be fiscally prudent. Living a comfortable life isn’t always about spending more, but rather about spending wisely. Be flexible in your budgeting, though, and realize that unexpected expenses sometimes come up.
– Be a good citizen. Volunteer and donate and help others. There is no better felling than giving back, and there is always need.
Sandi, my entire staff and I wish you new adventures and unanticipated excitement in the new year. Keep your 2013 Farmers’ Almanac handy and be sure you are on our Farmers’ Almanac Newsletter list (it’s free!). Our wish is for your health and happiness. We are in this world as partners and can make it a great journey together.
Happy New Year!