It’s berry season. What a delicious time of year. But in addition to a fresh, sweet taste, there some very convincing reasons why you should let everyone in your family eat lots of berries:
- Blueberries are full of antioxidants that not only help build up your immune system but may help keep your memory sharp as you age.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C in a one-cup serving than one orange. They are also high in folic acid, which is beneficial in reducing the risk of heart disease and decreasing incidence of breast and colon cancer. It’s also beneficial for pregnant women.
- Raspberries contain ellagic acid, a compound known to have anti-cancer properties.
- Blackberries help in memory retention and the risk of hypertension.
- AÃ§ai berries are new to the list, but also contain many superfood qualities and health benefits.
So now that berry season is here, be sure to eat plenty of them and share them with your family. Add them to cereals and oatmeal, eat them as is for a snack, or put them in a smoothy. Whatever way you serve them, you should feel good about eating berries this season.