In recent days I have commented on Halloween at my house. It has been a long tradition and is well known in Lewiston/ Auburn. As a result of newspaper coverage last year, Food Network Magazine carried a piece on it. I started the day, as I do all Halloweens, on 92 Moose Radio divulging the secret password — “Farmers’ Almanac predicts a StormBowl 48!” All is good. Then my local paper, the Lewiston Sun Journal, ran a photo and piece on me complete with the address and password. This was followed by the ABC affiliate at noon and the NBC affiliate during the evening.
Our previous high was 790 trick-or-treaters. Weather, day of the week and other things impact the count form year to year. The World Series ended the night before — Way to go, Sox!
The results —
– Anyone coming to my home gets a king sized candy bar (your pick from 20 varieties)
– If you heard or read the secret password and can relate it at the door, you get 3 king sized bars.
– I had 3,500 bars should I hit the 1,000 mark — a goal set by Food Network Magazine.
– The crowds started to arrive at 4:30pm and never slowed until 8:30pm.
– Despite the rain, lines were 50 deep.
– Not only did we clean out the 3,500 bars, but my candy distributor brought in three additional cases during the evening.
By all standards, it was a success. I love seeing families together and this was the best night ever. If you are interested in learning more, check out the newspaper and TV accounts. It all inspires me to do more in 2014!! Favorite candy this year include:
1.Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups
2. Kit Kat
4. Three Musketeers