Spring has sprung, which means gardens are bursting with blooms. In honor of this season of bright blossoms, here are five fun facts about flowers:
- One of the world’s largest flowers is the Titan Arum (it’s also the worst smelling flower). It has been affectionately referred to as the Corpse Flower. The flower with the world’s largest bloom is the Rafflesia arnoldii.
- The smallest flower in the world is the Wolffia globosa, or water-meal.
- Ancient civilizations used to burn aster leaves to ward off evil spirits.
- Tulip bulbs can be substituted for onions in a recipe.
- It is estimated that there are approximately 250,000 species of flowering plants on Earth, but only around 85% have been cataloged so far.
Take a look at this short video about the science behind the stinky Corpse Flower. Fascinating!