Take a look at some of these average statistics about “man,” as listed in the 1883 Farmers’ Almanac. Don’t worry if you aren’t sure how large a hogshead is — neither are we!
from the 1883 Farmers’ Almanac
- The average weight of an adult is 140 lbs. 6 oz.
- The average weight of a skeleton is about 14 lbs.
- Number of bones, 240.
- The average weight of the brain of a man is 3 ½ lbs.; of a woman, 2 lbs. 11 oz.
- The brain of a man exceeds twice that of any other animal.
- The average height of an Englishman is 5 ft. 9 in.; of a Frenchman, 5 ft. 4 in.; and of a Belgian, 5 ft. 6 ¾ in.
- The average weight of an Englishman is 150 lbs.; of a Frenchman, 136 lbs.; and of a Belgian, 140 lbs.
- The average number of teeth is 32.
- A man breathes about 18 pints of air in a minute, or upwards of 7 hogsheads a day.
- A man gives off 4.08 per cent. carbonic gas of the air he respires; respires 10,666 cubic feet of carbonic acid gas in 24 hours; consumes 10,667 cubic feet of oxygen in 24 hours equal to 125 inches of common air.
- The average of the pulse in infancy is 120 per minute; in manhood, 80; at 60 years, 60. The pulse of females is more frequent than that of males.
- The weight of the circulating blood is about 28 lbs.
- The heart beats 75 times in a minute; sends nearly 10 lbs. of blood through the veins and arteries each beat; makes four beats while we breathe once.
- 540 lbs., or 1 hogshead 1 ¼ pints of blood pass through the heart in one hour.
- 12,000 lbs., or 24 hogsheads 4 gallons, or 10,782 ¼ pints pass through the heart in 24 hours.
- 174,000,000 holes or cells are in the lungs, which would cover a surface 30 times greater than the human body.
Curiosity got the better of us so we had to find out exactly what a “hogshead” measurement was. It is old English
Want more like this? We combed the archives to bring you more Almanac Throwbacks and we’ve added them to the 2017 edition — order your copy today!