By following these few tips, butterflies will be enticed to visit your lawn and garden areas this summer, when butterflies are the most active.
Butterfly Garden Tips
- Don’t use chemical insecticides in the butterfly garden.
- Establish your flower garden where it will receive full sun. Butterflies need direct sunlight for flying power.
- Like hummingbirds, butterflies are attracted to flowers by color. Group flowers that butterflies favor in clusters.
- Plant taller species toward the back of the flowerbed and shorter flowers at the front to get the best view of both flowers in bloom and butterflies in flight.
- Butterflies do not drink from open water but are drawn to moisture instead. Fill a saucer with potting soil or a sponge and add water to moisten. Place the saucer in the flower garden and keep soil or sponge moist through the summer.
- Set a rock in a sunny place in your garden for butterflies to alight on. Butterflies sun on rocks for energy to fly.
- What’s the most popular plant used to lure butterflies? The brilliantly orange Butterfly Weed and Butterfly Bush, of course.
- Plant botanicals that produce nectar and attract butterflies. See lists below.
Flowers Butterflies Love
Queen Anne’s Lace
Flowering Shrubs, Trees and Vines Butterflies Frequent:
Mock Orange Tree
Rose of Sharon